A (New) Country Insurance Facility
To cope with the self-fulfilling liquidity runs that triggered many recent financial crises, we propose the creation of a country insurance facility. The facility, which we envisage as complementary to the existing multilateral lending facilities, would provide eligible countries with automatic access to a credit line at a predetermined interest rate. Eligibility criteria should be easily verifiable, focus on debt sustainability, and take into account the currency and maturity composition of the debt. Other critical design issues considered here include the size of the facility, its duration and charges, and the exit costs for a country that loses eligibility.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Miñones 2177 - (1428) Buenos Aires|
Web page: http://www.utdt.edu/listado_contenidos.php?id_item_menu=4994
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kaplan, Ethan & Rodrik, Dani, 2001.
"Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2754, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kaplan, Ethan & Rodrik, Dani, 2001. "Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?," Working Paper Series rwp01-008, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Ethan Kaplan & Dani Rodrik, 2001. "Did the Malaysian Capital Controls Work?," NBER Working Papers 8142, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Stavros Panageas, 2003.
"Hedging Sudden Stops and Precautionary Contractions,"
NBER Working Papers
9778, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Panageas, Stavros, 2008. "Hedging sudden stops and precautionary contractions," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 28-57, February.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 1999.
"Bank Bailouts; Moral Hazard vs. Value Effect,"
IMF Working Papers
99/106, International Monetary Fund.
- Haizhou Huang & Charles Goodhart, 1999.
"A Model of the Lender of Last Resort,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp313, Financial Markets Group.
- Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2004.
"Crises and Growth: A Re-evaluation,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
832, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Fran Westermann & Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell, 2004. "Crises and Growth: A Re-evaluation," 2004 Meeting Papers 130, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Romain Rancière & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2002. "Crises and growth: A re-evaluation," Economics Working Papers 852, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Sep 2003.
- Romain Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2004. "Crises and Growth: A Re-Evaluation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1160, CESifo Group Munich.
- Romaine Ranciere & Aaron Tornell & Frank Westermann, 2003. "Crises and Growth: A Re-Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 10073, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A, 1988. "Servicing the Public Debt: The Role of Expectations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(4), pages 647-61, September.
- Stanley Fischer, 1999. "On the Need for an International Lender of Last Resort," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 13(4), pages 85-104, Fall.
- Eduardo Borensztein & Paolo Mauro, 2004. "The case for GDP-indexed bonds," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 19(38), pages 165-216, 04.
- Diamond, Douglas W & Dybvig, Philip H, 1983.
"Bank Runs, Deposit Insurance, and Liquidity,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(3), pages 401-19, June.
- Morris Goldstein, 2001. "IMF Structural Conditionality: How Much is Too Much?," Working Paper Series WP01-4, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udt:wpbsdt:newcountryins. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nicolás Del Ponte)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.