Multilateral Safety Nets for Financial Crises
There is an increasing need for a system of international lending of last resort (ILLR) to provide a safety net in the event of financial crises in vulnerable countries as financial globalization deepens and spreads. Multilateral progress to address liquidity and solvency crises has been patchy and inconsistent, with no clear distinction between the two; in particular, there is still no framework to address sovereign debt restructuring. This paper proposes an integrated system of specialized ILLR facilities to address problems of liquidity, adjustment, and debt restructuring in a focused but robust way as crises evolve and morph, structured in tiers to cater to countries’ capacity to prequalify for automatic support. It further proposes feasible legal reform to subject creditors to standstills and seniority dilution as in domestic bankruptcy in order to empower ILLR to facilitate orderly workouts in debt restructuring. Multilateral development banks would play important supporting roles.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2006.
"Optimal Debt? On the Insurance Value of International Debt Flows to Developing Countries,"
Business School Working Papers
2006-12, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2009. "Optimal Debt? On the Insurance Value of International Debt Flows to Developing Countries," Open Economies Review, Springer, vol. 20(4), pages 489-507, September.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 2004.
IMF Working Papers
04/148, International Monetary Fund.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2004. "Country Insurance," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 290, Econometric Society.
- Tito Cordella & Eduardo Levy Yeyati, 2004. "Country Insurance," Business School Working Papers countryinsurance, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Eduardo Levy Yeyati & Tito Cordella, 2004. "Country Insurance," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 136, Econometric Society.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Andrew Powell & Alessandro Rebucci, 2009.
"The Multilateral Response to the Global Crisis: Rationale, Modalities, and Feasibility,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6770, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Fernandez-Arias & Andrew Powell & Alessandro Rebucci, 2009. "The Multilateral Response to the Global Crisis: Rationale, Modalities, and Feasibility," Research Department Publications 4629, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Bagehot, Walter, 1873. "Lombard Street: A Description of the Money Market," History of Economic Thought Books, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, number bagehot1873.
- Ugo Panizza & Federico Sturzenegger & Jeromin Zettelmeyer, 2009. "The Economics and Law of Sovereign Debt and Default," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(3), pages 651-98, September.
- Guillermo Calvo, 2002. "Globalization Hazard and Delayed Reform in Emerging Markets," JOURNAL OF LACEA ECONOMIA, LACEA - LATIN AMERICAN AND CARIBBEAN ECONOMIC ASSOCIATION.
- Grossman, Herschel I & Van Huyck, John B, 1988.
"Sovereign Debt as a Contingent Claim: Excusable Default, Repudiation, and Reputation,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 1088-97, December.
- Herschel I. Grossman & John B. Van Huyck, 1985. "Sovereign Debt as a Contingent Claim: Excusable Default, Repudiation, and Reputation," NBER Working Papers 1673, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4668. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.