The Multilateral Response to the Global Crisis: Rationale, Modalities, and Feasibility
The paper reviews the case for a strong multilateral response to the global crisis in emerging markets (EMs). It discusses modalities and feasibility of intervention and its associated risks, depending on country circumstances of fiscal space and liquidity needs. The specific role of Multilateral Development Banks (MDBs) in ensuring the development effectiveness of the fiscal response is also discussed. The paper concludes by highlighting the international financial architecture issues raised by the global crisis that cannot be addressed immediately but will need to be dealt with once the current crisis has been tamed.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2009.
"Is Monetary Policy Effective during Financial Crises?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(2), pages 573-77, May.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 2009. "Is Monetary Policy Effective During Financial Crises?," NBER Working Papers 14678, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeanne, Olivier & Ostry, Jonathan D & Zettelmeyer, Jeromin, 2008.
"A Theory of International Crisis Lending and IMF Conditionality,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7022, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Jonathan David Ostry & Olivier Jeanne, 2008. "A Theory of International Crisis Lending and IMF Conditionality," IMF Working Papers 08/236, International Monetary Fund.
- Powell, Andrew & Arozamena, Leandro, 2003.
"Liquidity protection versus moral hazard: the role of the IMF,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 22(7), pages 1041-1063, December.
- Andrew Powell y Leandro Arozamena, 2003. "Liquidity Protection versus Moral Hazard: The Role of the IMF," Business School Working Papers ocho, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Boz, Emine, 2011.
"Sovereign default, private sector creditors, and the IFIs,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(1), pages 70-82, January.
- Emine Boz, 2009. "Sovereign Default, Private Sector Creditors and the IFIs," IMF Working Papers 09/46, International Monetary Fund.
- Fabio Braggion & Lawrence J. Christiano & Jorge Roldos, 2007.
"Optimal Monetary Policy in a 'Sudden Stop',"
NBER Working Papers
13254, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giancarlo Corsetti & Bernardo Guimaraes & Nouriel Roubini, 2003.
"International Lending of Last Resort and Moral Hazard: A Model of IMF's Catalytic Finance,"
NBER Working Papers
10125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Corsetti, Giancarlo & Guimaraes, Bernardo & Roubini, Nouriel, 2006. "International lending of last resort and moral hazard: A model of IMF's catalytic finance," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 441-471, April.
- Ortiz, Alberto & Pablo, Ottonello & Sturzenegger, Federico & Talvi, Ernesto, 2007. "Monetary and Fiscal Policies in a Sudden Stop: Is Tighter Brighter?," Working Paper Series rwp07-057, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- A. R. Pagan & Douglas Laxton & Luis CatÃ£o, 2008. "Monetary Transmission in an Emerging Targeter: The Case of Brazil," IMF Working Papers 08/191, International Monetary Fund.
- Eduardo Fernández-Arias & Peter J. Montiel, 2009.
"Crisis Response in Latin America: Is the "Rainy Day" at Hand?,"
IDB Publications (Working Papers)
6769, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eduardo Fernandez-Arias & Peter Montiel, 2009. "Crisis Response in Latin America: Is the "Rainy Day" at Hand?," Research Department Publications 4628, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4629. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.