The Science of Monetary Policy: A New Keynesian Perspective
This paper reviews the recent literature on monetary policy rules. We exploit the monetary policy design problem within a simple baseline theoretical framework. We then consider the implications of adding various real world complications. Among other things, we show that the optimal policy implicitly incorporates inflation targeting. We also characterize the gains from making a credible commitment to fight inflation. In contrast to conventional wisdom, we show that gains from commitment may emerge even if the central bank is not trying to inadvisedly push output above its natural level. We also consider the implications of frictions such as imperfect information.
|Date of creation:||May 1999|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as Journal of Economic Literature, Vol. 37, no. 2 (December 1999): 1661-1707.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bils, Mark & Chang, Yongsung, 2003.
"Welfare costs of sticky wages when effort can respond,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 311-330, March.
- Yongsung Chang & Mark Bils, 2002. "Welfare Costs of Sticky Wages When Effort Can Respond," Macroeconomics 0204003, EconWPA.
- Jensen, Christian, 2013. "The gains from short-term commitments," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 14-23.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Andrea Roventini, 2008.
"On the Scientific Status of Economic Policy: A Tale of Alternative Paradigms,"
47/2008, University of Verona, Department of Economics.
- G. Fagiolo & A. Roventini., 2009. "On the Scientific Status of Economic Policy: A Tale of Alternative Paradigms," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 6.
- Giorgio Fagiolo & Andrea Roventini, 2008. "On the Scientific Status of Economic Policy: A Tale of Alternative Paradigms," LEM Papers Series 2008/03, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Paez-Farrell, Juan, 2012. "Should central bankers discount the future? A note," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 114(1), pages 20-22.
- Allen Head & Lucy Qian Liu & Guido Menzio & Randall Wright, 2011.
"Sticky prices: a new monetarist approach,"
690, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Stefan Krause, 2006.
"Optimal monetary policy and the equivalency between the one-period AD-AS model and the forward-looking New Keynesian model,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(9), pages 541-544.
- Stefan Krause, 2003. "Optimal Monetary Policy and the Equivalency between the One-period AD-AS Model and the Forward-looking New Keynesian Model," Emory Economics 0317, Department of Economics, Emory University (Atlanta).
- Mahir Binici & Yin-Wong Cheung, 2011.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Under Alternative Optimal Interest Rate Rules,"
362011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Mahir Binici & Yin-Wong Cheung, 2011. "Exchange Rate Dynamics under Alternative Optimal Interest Rate Rules," CESifo Working Paper Series 3577, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mahir Binici & Yin-Wong Cheung, 2011. "Exchange Rate Dynamics under Alternative Optimal Interest Rate Rules," Working Papers 1116, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006.
"The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer,"
NBER Working Papers
12349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 29-46, Fall.
- N. G. Mankiw., 2009. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," VOPROSY ECONOMIKI, N.P. Redaktsiya zhurnala "Voprosy Economiki", vol. 5.
- N. Gregory Mankiw, 2006. "The Macroeconomist as Scientist and Engineer," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2121, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Waltraud Schelkle & Anke Hassel, 2012. "The Policy Consensus Ruling European Political Economy: The Political Attractions of Discredited Economics," Global Policy, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 3, pages 16-27, December.
- Gauti B. Eggertsson, 2008.
"Great Expectations and the End of the Depression,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(4), pages 1476-1516, September.
- Eckhard Hein & Christian Schoder, 2011.
"Interest rates, distribution and capital accumulation -- A post-Kaleckian perspective on the US and Germany,"
International Review of Applied Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(6), pages 693-723, November.
- Hein, Eckhard & Schoder, Christian, 2009. "Interest rates, distribution and capital accumulation – A Post-Kaleckian perspective on the US and Germany," MPRA Paper 18223, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hein, Eckhard & Schoder, Christian, 2009. "Interest rates, distribution and capital accumulation: A Post-Kaleckian perspective on the US and Germany," IPE Working Papers 04/2009, Berlin School of Economics and Law, Institute for International Political Economy (IPE).
- Leitemo, Kai & Söderström , Ulf, 2004.
"Robust monetary policy in the New-Keynesian framework,"
Research Discussion Papers
31/2004, Bank of Finland.
- Leitemo, Kai & Söderström, Ulf, 2008. "Robust Monetary Policy In The New Keynesian Framework," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(S1), pages 126-135, April.
- Kai Leitemo & Ulf Soderstrom, 2004. "Robust Monetary Policy in the New-Keynesian Framework," Working Papers 273, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Kai Leitemo & Ulf Söderström, 2005. "Robust monetary policy in the New-Keynesian framework," Macroeconomics 0508032, EconWPA.
- Leitemo, Kai & Söderström, Ulf, 2004. "Robust Monetary Policy in the New-Keynesian Framework," CEPR Discussion Papers 4805, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Dufour, Jean-Marie & Khalaf, Lynda & Kichian, Maral, 2013. "Identification-robust analysis of DSGE and structural macroeconomic models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 340-350.
- Christopher J. Erceg & Andrew T. Levin, 2001.
"Imperfect credibility and inflation persistence,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2001-45, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Junhan Kim, 2011. "Inflation Targeting as Constrained Discretion," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 43(7), pages 1505-1522, October.
- Teruyoshi Kobayashi, 2005. "Optimal monetary policy and the role of hybrid inflation-price-level targets," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(18), pages 2119-2125.
- Traficante, Guido, 2013. "Monetary policy, parameter uncertainty and welfare," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 73-80.
- Tatiana Damjanovic & Vladislav Damjanovic & Charles Nolan, 2007.
"Unconditionally Optimal Monetary Policy,"
CDMA Working Paper Series
200721, Centre for Dynamic Macroeconomic Analysis.
- Pavel Kapinos & Michael S. Hanson, 2013. "Targets In The Taylor Rule: Inflation, Speed Limit, Or Price Level?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(1), pages 176-190, 01.
- Peter Tillmann, 2012. "Has Inflation Persistence Changed under EMU?," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 13(1), pages 86-102, 02.
- Montserrat Ferré, 2005. "Should Fiscal Authorities Co-operate in a Monetary Union with Public Deficit Targets?," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 539-550, 09.
- Shouyong Shi, 2006. "A Microfoundation of Monetary Economics," Working Papers tecipa-211, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Ben S. Bernanke & Jean Boivin, 2001.
"Monetary Policy in a Data-Rich Environment,"
NBER Working Papers
8379, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Nueva Economía Keynesiana in Wikipedia Spanish ne '')
- Quantitative Macroeconomics and Real Business Cycles (QM&RBC)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:7147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.