Explaining the Performance of Italian Exports during the Crisis: (Medium) Quality Matters
A recent study argues that the contraction in total trade that occurred during the crisis was mainly driven by the fall in high quality goods, which should have higher income elasticity owing to a non-linear Engel curve. Our aims are, on the one hand, to test the quality Engel curve assumption for EU15 imports from Italy and, on the other hand, to ascertain whether a break in income elasticities – either temporary or permanent – occurred during the global financial crisis as a result of the changing preference for quality of consumers in the old EU member states. We test these hypotheses by estimating income and price elasticities of EU imports of consumption goods from Italy for both volumes and market shares. The contribution of this paper is twofold. First, we introduce a medium quality category, allowing us to make a more detailed reading of the stylised facts about the performance of Italian trade during the crisis. Second, we perform three different versions of the mean group estimator. Our results are consistent with the assumption of a change in the preference for quality. This change may be due either to a shift in consumption from high to medium quality Italian products or to the higher quality, actual or perceived, of Italian medium quality goods compared with the varieties imported from the rest of the world.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Viale Romania 32 - 00197 Roma|
Phone: 06 85225.550
Fax: 06 85225.973
Web page: http://ricerca.economiaefinanza.luiss.it/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007.
"A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003. "A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Ashoka Mody & Deniz O Igan & Stefania Fabrizio, 2007. "The Dynamics of Product Quality and International Competitiveness," IMF Working Papers 07/97, International Monetary Fund.
- Jörg Breitung, 2002.
"A parametric approach to the estimation of cointegration vectors in panel data,"
10th International Conference on Panel Data, Berlin, July 5-6, 2002
B5-4, International Conferences on Panel Data.
- Jorg Breitung, 2005. "A Parametric approach to the Estimation of Cointegration Vectors in Panel Data," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 151-173.
- Breitung, Jörg, 2002. "A parametric approach to the estimation of cointegration vectors in panel data," SFB 373 Discussion Papers 2002,3, Humboldt University of Berlin, Interdisciplinary Research Project 373: Quantification and Simulation of Economic Processes.
- Flam, Harry & Helpman, Elhanan, 1987. "Vertical Product Differentiation and North-South Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 810-22, December.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michael Freudenberg & Guillaume Gaulier, 2006.
"A Systematic Decomposition of World Trade into Horizontal and Vertical IIT,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 142(3), pages 459-475, October.
- Lionel Fontagné & Michael Freudenberg & Guillaume Gaulier, 2006. "A Systematic Decomposition of World Trade into Horizontal and Vertical IIT," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00270504, HAL.
- Peter K. Schott, 2004. "Across-Product Versus Within-Product Specialization in International Trade," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(2), pages 647-678.
- George Alessandria & Joseph P. Kaboski & Virgiliu Midrigan, 2010.
"The Great Trade Collapse of 2008-09: An Inventory Adjustment?,"
NBER Working Papers
16059, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Virgiliu Midrigan & Joseph Kaboski & George Alessandria, 2010. "The Great Trade Collapse of 2008-09: An Inventory Adjustment?," 2010 Meeting Papers 107, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smit, L.V. & Yamagata, T., 2007.
"Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
0775, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Vanessa Smith, L. & Yamagata, Takashi, 2013. "Panel unit root tests in the presence of a multifactor error structure," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 175(2), pages 94-115.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, L. Vanessa & Yamagata, Takashi, 2007. "Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure," IZA Discussion Papers 3254, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Hashem Pesaran & L. Vanessa Smith & Takashi Yamagata, 2008. "Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure," CESifo Working Paper Series 2193, CESifo Group Munich.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & L. Vanessa Smith & Takashi Yamagata, 2008. "Panel Unit Root Tests in the Presence of a Multifactor Error Structure," Discussion Papers 08/03, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Samarjit Das & Joerg Breitung, 2004.
"Panel Unit Root Tests under Cross- sectional Dependence,"
Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings
55, Econometric Society.
- Jörg Breitung & Samarjit Das, 2005. "Panel unit root tests under cross-sectional dependence," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 59(4), pages 414-433.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2006.
"Estimation and Inference in Large Heterogeneous Panels with a Multifactor Error Structure,"
Econometric Society, vol. 74(4), pages 967-1012, 07.
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2004. "Estimation and Inference in Large Heterogeneous Panels with a Multifactor Error Structure," CESifo Working Paper Series 1331, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alberto Felettigh & Stefano Federico, 2011.
"Measuring the price elasticity of import demand in the destination markets of italian exports,"
ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE,
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2011(1), pages 127-162.
- Alberto Felettigh & Stefano Federico, 2010. "Measuring the price elasticity of import demand in the destination markets of Italian export," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 776, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- David L. Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Staff Reports 72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Pesaran, M. Hashem & Smith, Ron, 1995.
"Estimating long-run relationships from dynamic heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 79-113, July.
- Pesaran, M.H. & Smith, R., 1992. "Estimating Long-Run Relationships From Dynamic Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9215, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Aiginger, Karl, 1997. "The Use of Unit Values to Discriminate between Price and Quality Competition," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(5), pages 571-92, September.
- Mark Bils & Peter J. Klenow, 2001.
"Quantifying Quality Growth,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1006-1030, September.
- Antoine Berthou & Charlotte Emlinger, 2010. "Crises and the Collapse of World Trade: the Shift to Lower Quality," Working Papers 2010-07, CEPII research center.
- Larsson, Rolf & Lyhagen, Johan & Löthgren, Mickael, 1998.
"Likelihood-Based Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
250, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 27 Aug 1998.
- Rolf Larsson & Johan Lyhagen & Mickael Lothgren, 2001. "Likelihood-based cointegration tests in heterogeneous panels," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 4(1), pages 41.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lui:lleewp:1195. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanna Vallanti)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.