Estimation and testing of dynamic models with generalised hyperbolic innovations
We analyse the Generalised Hyperbolic distribution as a model for fat tails and asymmetries in multivariate conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic regression models. We provide a standardised version of this distribution, obtain analytical expressions for the log-likelihood score, and explain how to evaluate the information matrix. In addition, we derive tests for the null hypotheses of multivariate normal and Student t innovations, and decompose them into skewness and kurtosis components, from which we obtain more powerful one-sided versions. Finally, we present an empirical illustration with UK sectorial stock returns, which suggests that their conditional distribution is asymmetric and leptokurtic.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +44 (020) 7405 7686
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- BONTEMPS, Christian & MEDDAHI, Nour, 2002.
"Testing Normality : A GMM Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
2002-14, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1999.
"Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1229, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 2001. "Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 683-734, May.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Chesher, Andrew, 1986. "Specification testing when score test statistics are identically zero," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 121-149, March.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:4:p:657-81 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Henrik Hansen, 2008.
"An Omnibus Test for Univariate and Multivariate Normality,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(s1), pages 927-939, December.
- Jurgen A Doornik & Henrik Hansen, . "An omnibus test for univariate and multivariate normalit," Economics Papers W4&91., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
RCER Working Papers
322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981.
"Small Sample Properties of Alternative Forms of the Lagrange Multiplier Test,"
439, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russel & MacKinnon, James G., 1983. "Small sample properties of alternative forms of the Lagrange Multiplier test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 269-275.
- Eric Ghysels & Anders Eriksson Lars Forsberg, 2004.
"Approximating the probability distribution of functions of random variables: A new approach,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
503, Econometric Society.
- Anders Eriksson & Lars Forsberg & Eric Ghysels, 2004. "Approximating the Probability Distribution of Functions of Random Variables: A New Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-21, CIRANO.
- Kilian, Lutz & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2000. "Residual-Based Tests for Normality in Autoregressions: Asymptotic Theory and Simulation Evidence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 40-50, January.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2003. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference in Multivariate Conditionally Heteroscedastic Dynamic Regression Models with Student t Innovations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 532-46, October.
- Sargan, J D, 1983. "Identification and Lack of Identification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1605-33, November.
- Luc Bauwens & Sébastien Laurent, 2002.
"A New Class of Multivariate skew Densities, with Application to GARCH Models,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2002
5, Society for Computational Economics.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien, 2002. "A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to GARCH models," CORE Discussion Papers 2002020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, March.
- Jan R. MAGNUS, 1986. "The Exact Moments of a Ratio of Quadratic Forms in Normal Variables," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 4, pages 95-109.
- Magnus, J.R., 1986. "The exact moments of a ratio of quadratic forms in normal variables," Other publications TiSEM c6725407-ac3c-44fd-b6d1-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- H. D. Vinod & B. D. McCullough, 1999. "The Numerical Reliability of Econometric Software," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(2), pages 633-665, June.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2004. "On the validity of the Jarque-Bera normality test in conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 307-312, June.
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- H. D. Vinod & B. D. McCullough, 1999. "Corrigenda: The Numerical Reliability of Econometric Software," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1565-1565, December.
- Tim Bollerslev & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1988. "Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Models with Time-Varying Covariances," Working papers 505, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Demos, Antonis & Sentana, Enrique, 1998. "Testing for GARCH effects: a one-sided approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 97-127, June.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2001. "Non-Gaussian Ornstein-Uhlenbeck-based models and some of their uses in financial economics," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 167-241.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ehl:lserod:24742. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LSERO Manager)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.