Parametric properties of semi-nonparametric distributions, with applications to option valuation
We derive the statistical properties of the SNP densities of Gallant and Nychka (1987). We show that these densities, which are always positive, are more flexible than truncated Gram-Charlier expansions with positivity restrictions. We use the SNP densities for financial derivatives valuation. We relate real and risk-neutral measures, obtain closed-form prices for European options, and analyse the semiparametric properties of our pricing model. In an empirical application to S&P500 index options, we compare our model to the standard and Practitioner's Black-Scholes formulas, truncated expansions, and the Generalised Beta and Variance Gamma models.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2007|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.bde.es/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bontemps, Christian & Meddahi, Nour, 2005.
"Testing normality: a GMM approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 124(1), pages 149-186, January.
- BONTEMPS, Christian & MEDDAHI, Nour, 2002. "Testing Normality : A GMM Approach," Cahiers de recherche 2002-14, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Christian BONTEMPS & Nour MEDDAHI, 2002. "Testing Normality : A Gmm Approach," Cahiers de recherche 14-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Christian Bontemps & Nour Meddahi, 2002. "Testing Normality: A GMM Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-63, CIRANO.
- Emmanuel Jurczenko & Bertrand Maillet & Bogdan Negrea, 2002. "Skewness and kurtosis implied by option prices: a second comment," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24938, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Bogdan Negrea & Bertrand Maillet & Emmanuel Jurczenko, 2002. "Skewness and Kurtosis Implied by Option Prices: A Second Comment," FMG Discussion Papers dp419, Financial Markets Group.
- Corrado, Charles J & Su, Tie, 1996. "Skewness and Kurtosis in S&P 500 Index Returns Implied by Option Prices," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 175-192, Summer.
- Charles J. Corrado & Tie Su, 1996. "Skewness And Kurtosis In S&P 500 Index Returns Implied By Option Prices," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 175-192, 06.
- C. J. Corrado & Tie Su, 1997. "Implied volatility skews and stock return skewness and kurtosis implied by stock option prices," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 73-85.
- Henri Bertholon & Alain Monfort & Fulvio Pegoraro, 2006. "Pricing and Inference with Mixtures of Conditionally Normal Processes," Working Papers 2006-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bertholon, H. & Monfort, A. & Pegoraro, F., 2007. "Pricing and Inference with Mixtures of Conditionally Normal Processes," Working papers 188, Banque de France.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-651, October.
- Fenton, Victor M. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1996. "Qualitative and asymptotic performance of SNP density estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 77-118, September.
- Victor Fenton & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1996. "Qualitative and Asymptotic Performance of SNP Density Estimators," Working Papers 96-17, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, April.
- Ronald Gallant, A. & Tauchen, George, 1999. "The relative efficiency of method of moments estimators1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 149-172, September.
- V. L. Martin & G. M. Martin & G. C. Lim, 2005. "Parametric pricing of higher order moments in S&P500 options," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 377-404.
- G.C. Lim & G.M. Martin & V.L. Martin, 2002. "Parametric Pricing of Higher Order Moments in S&P500 Options," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 1/02, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Robert JARROW & Andrew RUDD, 2008. "Approximate Option Valuation For Arbitrary Stochastic Processes," World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 1, pages 9-31 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Jarrow, Robert & Rudd, Andrew, 1982. "Approximate option valuation for arbitrary stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 347-369, November.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Nychka, Douglas W, 1987. "Semi-nonparametric Maximum Likelihood Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 363-390, March.
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Jurczenko, Emmanuel & Maillet, Bertrand, 2001. "The approximate option pricing model: performances and dynamic properties," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 427-443, December.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Emmanuel Jurczenko & Bertrand Maillet, 2001. "The Approximate Option Pricing Model: Performances and Dynamic Properties," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00308985, HAL.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:0707. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (María Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de España)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.