Parametric Properties of Semi-Nonparametric Distributions, with Applications to Option Valuation
We derive the statistical properties of the SNP densities of Gallant and Nychka (1987). We show that these densities, which are always positive, are more general than the truncated Gram-Charlier expansions of Jondeau and Rockinger (2001), who impose parameter restrictions to ensure positivity. We also use the SNP densities for option valuation. We relate real and risk-neutral measures, obtain closed-form prices for European options, and study the 'Greeks'. We show that SNP densities generate wider option price ranges than the truncated expansions. In an empirical application to S&P 500 index options, we find that the SNP model beats the standard and Practitioner's Black-Scholes formulas, and the truncated expansions.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 27 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.amstat.org/publications/index.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- V. L. Martin & G. M. Martin & G. C. Lim, 2005.
"Parametric pricing of higher order moments in S&P500 options,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 20(3), pages 377-404.
- G.C. Lim & G.M. Martin & V.L. Martin, 2002. "Parametric Pricing of Higher Order Moments in S&P500 Options," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 1/02, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Christian Bontemps & Nour Meddahi, 2002.
"Testing Normality: A GMM Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Christian BONTEMPS & Nour MEDDAHI, 2002. "Testing Normality : A Gmm Approach," Cahiers de recherche 14-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- BONTEMPS, Christian & MEDDAHI, Nour, 2002. "Testing Normality : A GMM Approach," Cahiers de recherche 2002-14, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Charles J. Corrado & Tie Su, 1996.
"Skewness And Kurtosis In S&P 500 Index Returns Implied By Option Prices,"
Journal of Financial Research,
Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 175-192, 06.
- Corrado, Charles J & Su, Tie, 1996. "Skewness and Kurtosis in S&P 500 Index Returns Implied by Option Prices," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 19(2), pages 175-192, Summer.
- Henri Bertholon & Alain Monfort & Fulvio Pegoraro, 2006.
"Pricing and Inference with Mixtures of Conditionally Normal Processes,"
2006-28, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bertholon, H. & Monfort, A. & Pegoraro, F., 2007. "Pricing and Inference with Mixtures of Conditionally Normal Processes," Working papers 188, Banque de France.
- Gunther Capelle-Blancard & Emmanuel Jurczenko & Bertrand Maillet, 2001.
"The Approximate Option Pricing Model: Performances and Dynamic Properties,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Capelle-Blancard, Gunther & Jurczenko, Emmanuel & Maillet, Bertrand, 2001. "The approximate option pricing model: performances and dynamic properties," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 11(4-5), pages 427-443, December.
- Victor Fenton & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1996.
"Qualitative and Asymptotic Performance of SNP Density Estimators,"
96-17, Duke University, Department of Economics.
- Fenton, Victor M. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1996. "Qualitative and asymptotic performance of SNP density estimators," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 77-118, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.
- Bogdan Negrea & Bertrand Maillet & Emmanuel Jurczenko, 2002.
"Skewness and Kurtosis Implied by Option Prices: A Second Comment,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp419, Financial Markets Group.
- Emmanuel Jurczenko & Bertrand Maillet & Bogdan Negrea, 2002. "Skewness and kurtosis implied by option prices: a second comment," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24938, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- C. J. Corrado & Tie Su, 1997. "Implied volatility skews and stock return skewness and kurtosis implied by stock option prices," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 3(1), pages 73-85.
- Gallant, A Ronald & Nychka, Douglas W, 1987. "Semi-nonparametric Maximum Likelihood Estimation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 363-390, March.
- Breeden, Douglas T & Litzenberger, Robert H, 1978. "Prices of State-contingent Claims Implicit in Option Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 51(4), pages 621-651, October.
- Black, Fischer, 1976. "The pricing of commodity contracts," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 167-179.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119.
- Jarrow, Robert & Rudd, Andrew, 1982.
"Approximate option valuation for arbitrary stochastic processes,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 347-369, November.
- Robert JARROW & Andrew RUDD, 2008. "Approximate Option Valuation For Arbitrary Stochastic Processes," World Scientific Book Chapters, in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 1, pages 9-31 World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Ronald Gallant, A. & Tauchen, George, 1999. "The relative efficiency of method of moments estimators1," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 149-172, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bes:jnlbes:v:27:i:2:y:2009:p:176-192. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.