Distributional tests in multivariate dynamic models with Normal and Student t innovations
We derive Lagrange Multiplier and Likelihood Ratio specifi cation tests for the null hypotheses of multivariate normal and Student t innovations using the Generalised Hyperbolic distribution as our alternative hypothesis. We decompose the corresponding Lagrange Multiplier-type tests into skewness and kurtosis components, from which we obtain more powerful one-sided Kuhn-Tucker versions that are equivalent to the Likelihood Ratio test, whose asymptotic distribution we provide. We conduct detailed Monte Carlo exercises to study our proposed tests in finite samples. Finally, we present an empirical application to ten US sectoral stock returns, which indicates that their conditional distribution is mildly asymmetric and strongly leptokurtic.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrique Sentana & Gabriele Fiorentini, 2007.
"On The Efficiency And Consistency Of Likelihood Estimation In Multivariate Conditionally Heteroskedastic Dynamic Regression Models,"
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2007. "On the efficiency and consistency of likelihood estimation in multivariate conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic regression models," Working Paper Series 38-07, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jul 2007.
- Sentana, E., 2000.
"Factor Representing Portfolios in Large Asset Markets,"
0001, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Sentana, Enrique, 2004. "Factor representing portfolios in large asset markets," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 119(2), pages 257-289, April.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien, .
"A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to generalized autoregressive conditional heteroscedasticity models,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1793, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Laurent, Sebastien, 2005. "A New Class of Multivariate Skew Densities, With Application to Generalized Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 23, pages 346-354, July.
- Mencía, Javier & Sentana, Enrique, 2009.
"Multivariate location-scale mixtures of normals and mean-variance-skewness portfolio allocation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 153(2), pages 105-121, December.
- Enrique Sentana & Javier Mencía, 2008. "Multivariate Location-Scale Mixtures Of Normals And Mean-Variance-Skwness Portfolio Allocation," Working Papers wp2008_0805, CEMFI.
- Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2009. "Multivariate location-scale mixtures of normals and mean-variance-skewness portfolio allocation," Banco de Espa�a Working Papers 0909, Banco de Espa�a.
- Tauchen, George, 1985. "Diagnostic testing and evaluation of maximum likelihood models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 415-443.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-153219 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christian Bontemps & Nour Meddahi, 2002.
"Testing Normality: A GMM Approach,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Dilip B. Madan & Frank Milne, 1991.
"Option Pricing With V. G. Martingale Components,"
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(4), pages 39-55.
- Sentana,E., 1995.
"Quadratic Arch Models,"
9517, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 2000. "Inconsistency of the Bootstrap when a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Parameter Space," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 399-406, March.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981.
"Small Sample Properties of Alternative Forms of the Lagrange Multiplier Test,"
439, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russel & MacKinnon, James G., 1983. "Small sample properties of alternative forms of the Lagrange Multiplier test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 269-275.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Chesher, Andrew, 1986. "Specification testing when score test statistics are identically zero," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 121-149, March.
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994.
"Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-33, July.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990. "Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
- Giorgio Calzolari & Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana, 2004.
"Constrained Indirect Estimation,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(4), pages 945-973, October.
- Demos, Antonis & Sentana, Enrique, 1998. "Testing for GARCH effects: a one-sided approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 97-127, June.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2003. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference in Multivariate Conditionally Heteroscedastic Dynamic Regression Models with Student t Innovations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 532-46, October.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2004. "On the validity of the Jarque-Bera normality test in conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 307-312, June.
- Jurgen A Doornik & Henrik Hansen, .
"An omnibus test for univariate and multivariate normalit,"
W4&91., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Henrik Hansen, 2008. "An Omnibus Test for Univariate and Multivariate Normality," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(s1), pages 927-939, December.
- Kilian, Lutz & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2000. "Residual-Based Tests for Normality in Autoregressions: Asymptotic Theory and Simulation Evidence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 40-50, January.
- Newey, Whitney K, 1985. "Maximum Likelihood Specification Testing and Conditional Moment Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1047-70, September.
- Sargan, J D, 1983. "Identification and Lack of Identification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1605-33, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bde:wpaper:0929. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mar�a Beiro. Electronic Dissemination of Information Unit. Research Department. Banco de Espa�a)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.