A Multivariate Generalized Orthogonal Factor GARCH Model
The paper studies a factor GARCH model and develops test procedures which can be used to test the number of factors needed to model the conditional heteroskedasticity in the considered time series vector. Assuming normally distributed errors the parameters of the model can be straightforwardly estimated by the method of maximum likelihood. Inefficient but computationally simple preliminary estimates are first obtained and used as initial values to maximize the likelihood function. Maximum likelihood estimation with nonnormal errors is also straightforward. Motivated by the empirical application of the paper a mixture of normal distributions is considered. An interesting feature of the implied factor GARCH model is that some parameters of the conditional covariance matrix which are not identifiable in the case of normal errors become identifiable when the mixture distribution is used. As an empirical example we consider a system of four exchange rate return series.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 25 (2007)
Issue (Month): (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amstat.org/publications/jbes/index.cfm?fuseaction=main |
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.amstat.org/publications/index.html|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1985.
"Asymptotic Results for Generalized Wald Tests,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
761R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Apr 1986.
- Mencía, Javier & Sentana, Enrique, 2005.
"Estimation and Testing of Dynamic Models with Generalized Hyperbolic Innovations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5177, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Javier F. Mencia & Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Estimation and testing of dynamic models with generalised hyperbolic innovations," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24742, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Francisco Javier Mencía & Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Estimation And Testing Of Dynamic Models With Generalised Hyperbolic Innovations," Working Papers wp2004_0411, CEMFI.
- Enrique Sentana, 2004. "Estimation and Testing of Dynamic Models with Generalised Hyperbolic Innovations," FMG Discussion Papers dp502, Financial Markets Group.
- I. D. Vrontos & P. Dellaportas & D. N. Politis, 2003. "A full-factor multivariate GARCH model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(2), pages 312-334, December.
- repec:dgr:uvatin:19980057 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hafner, C.M. & Herwartz, H., 2003.
"Analytical quasi maximum likelihood inference in multivariate volatility models,"
Econometric Institute Research Papers
EI 2003-21, Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus School of Economics (ESE), Econometric Institute.
- Christian Hafner & Helmut Herwartz, 2008. "Analytical quasi maximum likelihood inference in multivariate volatility models," Metrika, Springer, vol. 67(2), pages 219-239, March.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen, 2003.
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003031, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- repec:dgr:kubcen:199910 is not listed on IDEAS
- Engle, Robert F. & Ng, Victor K. & Rothschild, Michael, 1990.
"Asset pricing with a factor-arch covariance structure : Empirical estimates for treasury bills,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 213-237.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor Ng & Michael Rothschild, 1988. "Asset Pricing with a Factor Arch Covariance Structure: Empirical Estimates for Treasury Bills," NBER Technical Working Papers 0065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Comte, F. & Lieberman, O., 2003. "Asymptotic theory for multivariate GARCH processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 61-84, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bes:jnlbes:v:25:y:2007:p:61-75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.