On asymptotic theory for multivariate GARCH models
The paper investigates the asymptotic theory for a multivariate GARCH model in its general vector specification proposed by Bollerslev, Engle and Wooldridge (1988)Â , known as the VEC model. This model includes as important special cases the so-called BEKK model and many versions of factor GARCH models, which are often used in practice. We provide sufficient conditions for strict stationarity and geometric ergodicity. The strong consistency of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator (QMLE) is proved under mild regularity conditions which allow the process to be integrated. In order to obtain asymptotic normality, the existence of sixth-order moments of the process is assumed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 100 (2009)
Issue (Month): 9 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rombouts, Jeroen V. K. & Hafner, Christian M., 2004.
"Semiparametric multivariate volatility models,"
2004,14, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Christian M. Hafner, 2003. "Fourth Moment Structure of Multivariate GARCH Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 26-54.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
EERI Research Paper Series
EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Arie Preminger & Christian M. Hafner, 2006.
"Asymptotic Theory For A Factor Garch Model,"
0608, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- Comte, F. & Lieberman, O., 2003. "Asymptotic theory for multivariate GARCH processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 61-84, January.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Gabriele Fiorentini & Enrique Sentana Iváñez, 1997.
"Identification, estimation and testing of conditionally heteroskedastic factor models,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1997-22, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sentana, Enrique & Fiorentini, Gabriele, 2001. "Identification, estimation and testing of conditionally heteroskedastic factor models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 143-164, June.
- Sentana, E. & Fiorentini, G., 1997. "Identification, Estimation and Testing of Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Model," Papers 9709, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1999.
"Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1229, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 2001. "Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 683-734, May.
- Basrak, Bojan & Davis, Richard A. & Mikosch, Thomas, 2002. "Regular variation of GARCH processes," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 95-115, May.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor Ng & Michael Rothschild, 1988.
"Asset Pricing with a Factor Arch Covariance Structure: Empirical Estimates for Treasury Bills,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Ng, Victor K. & Rothschild, Michael, 1990. "Asset pricing with a factor-arch covariance structure : Empirical estimates for treasury bills," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 213-237.
- Kristensen, Dennis & Rahbek, Anders, 2005. "ASYMPTOTICS OF THE QMLE FOR A CLASS OF ARCH(q) MODELS," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(05), pages 946-961, October.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Diebold, Francis X & Nerlove, Marc, 1989. "The Dynamics of Exchange Rate Volatility: A Multivariate Latent Factor Arch Model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(1), pages 1-21, Jan.-Mar..
- Roy van der Weide, 2002. "GO-GARCH: a multivariate generalized orthogonal GARCH model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 549-564.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2008.
"Ergodicity, Mixing, And Existence Of Moments Of A Class Of Markov Models With Applications To Garch And Acd Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(05), pages 1291-1320, October.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2007. "Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models," Economics Series Working Papers 327, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2004. "Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 573, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 20 Apr 2007.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel ZakoÃ¯an, 2006. "Inference in GARCH when some coefficients are equal to zero," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 64, Society for Computational Economics.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jmvana:v:100:y:2009:i:9:p:2044-2054. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.