Identification, estimation and testing of conditionally heteroskedastic factor models
We investigate several important inference issues for factor models with dynamic heteroskedasticity in the common factors. First, we show that such models are identified if we take into account the time-variation in the variances of the factors. Our results also apply to dynamic versions of the APT, dynamic factor models, and vector autoregressions. Secondly, we propose a consistent two-step estimation procedure which does not rely on knowledge of any factor estimates, and explain how to compute correct standard errors.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nijman, T.E. & Sentana, E., 1996.
"Marginalization and contemporaneous aggregation in multivariate GARCH processes,"
Other publications TiSEM
1faf40e0-ce91-45fd-a98d-4, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Nijman, Theo & Sentana, Enrique, 1996. "Marginalization and contemporaneous aggregation in multivariate GARCH processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-2), pages 71-87.
- Nijman, T. & Sentana, E., 1994. "Marginalization and Contemporaneous Aggregation in Multivariate Garch Proceses," Papers 9419, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Nijman, T. & Sentana, E., 1993. "Marginalization and Contemporaneous Aggregation in Multivariate Garch Processes," Papers 9312, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Nijman, T.E. & Sentana, E., 1993. "Marginalization and contemporaneous aggregation in multivariate GARCH processes," Discussion Paper 1993-12, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance,"
497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Engle, Robert F. & Ng, Victor K. & Rothschild, Michael, 1990.
"Asset pricing with a factor-arch covariance structure : Empirical estimates for treasury bills,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 45(1-2), pages 213-237.
- Robert F. Engle & Victor Ng & Michael Rothschild, 1988. "Asset Pricing with a Factor Arch Covariance Structure: Empirical Estimates for Treasury Bills," NBER Technical Working Papers 0065, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Demos, Antonis & Sentana, Enrique, 1998.
"An EM Algorithm for Conditionally Heteroscedastic Factor Models,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 357-61, July.
- Demos, A & Sentana, E, 1996. "An EM Algorithm for Conditionally Heteroskedastic Factor Models," Papers 9615, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Robert Jennrich, 1978. "Rotational equivalence of factor loading matrices with specified values," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 421-426, September.
- Bekker, Paul A., 1989. "Identification in restricted factor models and the evaluation of rank conditions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 5-16, May.
- Lin, Wen-Ling, 1992. "Alternative Estimators for Factor GARCH Models--A Monte Carlo Comparison," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(3), pages 259-79, July-Sept.
- King, Mervyn & Sentana, Enrique & Wadhwani, Sushil, 1994.
"Volatility and Links between National Stock Markets,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(4), pages 901-33, July.
- Mervyn King & Enrique Sentana & Sushil Wadhwani, 1990. "Volatiltiy and Links Between National Stock Markets," NBER Working Papers 3357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harvey, Andrew & Ruiz, Esther & Sentana, Enrique, 1992. "Unobserved component time series models with Arch disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 129-157.
- Durbin, J, 1970. "Testing for Serial Correlation in Least-Squares Regression When Some of the Regressors are Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 410-21, May.
- Wegge, Leon L., 1996. "Local identifiability of the factor analysis and measurement error model parameter," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 70(2), pages 351-382, February.
- Demos, Antonis & Sentana, Enrique, 1998. "Testing for GARCH effects: a one-sided approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 97-127, June.
- Giraitis, Liudas & Kokoszka, Piotr & Leipus, Remigijus, 2000. "Stationary Arch Models: Dependence Structure And Central Limit Theorem," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 16(01), pages 3-22, February.
- James Dunn, 1973. "A note on a sufficiency condition for uniqueness of a restricted factor matrix," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 38(1), pages 141-143, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:102:y:2001:i:2:p:143-164. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.