Asymptotic Theory For A Factor Garch Model
This paper investigates the asymptotic theory for a factor GARCH (generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity) model. Sufficient conditions for asymptotic stability and existence of moments are established. These conditions allow for volatility spillover and integrated GARCH. We then show the strong consistency and asymptotic normality of the quasi–maximum likelihood estimator (QMLE) of the model parameters. The results are obtained under the finiteness of the fourth-order moment of the innovations.
Volume (Year): 25 (2009)
Issue (Month): 02 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Drost, F.C. & Klaasens, C.A.J. & Werker, B.J.M., 1994.
"Adaptive Estimation in Time Series Models,"
9488, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J. & Werker, B.J.M., 1997. "Adaptive estimation in time-series models," Other publications TiSEM aa253902-af93-4e1e-b974-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2008.
"Ergodicity, Mixing, And Existence Of Moments Of A Class Of Markov Models With Applications To Garch And Acd Models,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 24(05), pages 1291-1320, October.
- Mika Meitz & Pentti Saikkonen, 2007. "Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models," Economics Series Working Papers 327, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Meitz, Mika & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2004. "Ergodicity, mixing, and existence of moments of a class of Markov models with applications to GARCH and ACD models," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 573, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 20 Apr 2007.
- Christian M. Hafner, 2003. "Fourth Moment Structure of Multivariate GARCH Models," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(1), pages 26-54.
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2007.
"A Multivariate Generalized Orthogonal Factor GARCH Model,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 25, pages 61-75, January.
- Lanne, Markku & Saikkonen, Pentti, 2005. "A Multivariate Generalized Orthogonal Factor GARCH Model," MPRA Paper 23714, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- PREMINGER, Arie & STORTI, Giuseppe, 2006.
"A GARCH (1,1) estimator with (almost) no moment conditions on the error term,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006068, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Arie Preminger & Giuseppe Storti, 2006. "A Garch (1,1) Estimator With (Almost) No Moment Conditions On The Error Term," Working Papers 0607, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Department of Economics.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, Sébastien & ROMBOUTS, Jeroen VK, .
"Multivariate GARCH models: a survey,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1847, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Roy van der Weide, 2002. "GO-GARCH: a multivariate generalized orthogonal GARCH model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(5), pages 549-564.
- Lee, Sang-Won & Hansen, Bruce E., 1994. "Asymptotic Theory for the Garch(1,1) Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimator," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 10(01), pages 29-52, March.
- Rombouts, Jeroen V. K. & Hafner, Christian M., 2004.
"Semiparametric multivariate volatility models,"
2004,14, Humboldt-Universität Berlin, Center for Applied Statistics and Economics (CASE).
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- Jeantheau, Thierry, 1998. "Strong Consistency Of Estimators For Multivariate Arch Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 14(01), pages 70-86, February.
- Shiqing Ling & Michael McAleer, 2001.
"Asymptotic Theory for a Vector ARMA-GARCH Model,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0549, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-31, February.
- Comte, F. & Lieberman, O., 2003. "Asymptotic theory for multivariate GARCH processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 61-84, January.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1996. "Consistency and Asymptotic Normality of the Quasi-maximum Likelihood Estimator in IGARCH(1,1) and Covariance Stationary GARCH(1,1) Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 575-96, May.
- I. D. Vrontos & P. Dellaportas & D. N. Politis, 2003. "A full-factor multivariate GARCH model," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 6(2), pages 312-334, December.
- Kristensen, Dennis & Linton, Oliver, 2006. "A Closed-Form Estimator For The Garch(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(02), pages 323-337, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1990. "Modelling the Coherence in Short-run Nominal Exchange Rates: A Multivariate Generalized ARCH Model," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 72(3), pages 498-505, August.
- Storti, G., 2006. "Minimum distance estimation of GARCH(1,1) models," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(3), pages 1803-1821, December.
- Carrasco, Marine & Chen, Xiaohong, 2002. "Mixing And Moment Properties Of Various Garch And Stochastic Volatility Models," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 18(01), pages 17-39, February.
- Donald W. K. Andrews, 1999. "Estimation When a Parameter Is on a Boundary," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 67(6), pages 1341-1384, November.
- Francq, Christian & Zako an, Jean-Michel, 2006. "Mixing Properties Of A General Class Of Garch(1,1) Models Without Moment Assumptions On The Observed Process," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(05), pages 815-834, October.
- Christian Francq & Jean-Michel ZakoÃ¯an, 2006. "Inference in GARCH when some coefficients are equal to zero," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 64, Society for Computational Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:etheor:v:25:y:2009:i:02:p:336-363_09. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.