Estimation and Testing of Dynamic Models with Generalized Hyperbolic Innovations
We analyse the Generalised Hyperbolic distribution adequacy to model kurtosis and asymmetries in multivariate conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic regression models. We standardise this distribution, obtain analytical expressions for the log-likelihood score, and explain how to evaluate the information matrix. We also derive tests for the null hypotheses of multivariate normal and Student t innovations, and decompose them into skewness and kurtosis components, from which we obtain more powerful one-sided versions. Finally, we present an empirical application to five NASDAQ sectorial stock returns that indicates that their conditional distribution is asymmetric and leptokurtic, which can be successfully exploited for risk management purposes.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ.|
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2004. "On the validity of the Jarque-Bera normality test in conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 307-312, June.
- Russell Davidson & James G. MacKinnon, 1981.
"Small Sample Properties of Alternative Forms of the Lagrange Multiplier Test,"
439, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Davidson, Russel & MacKinnon, James G., 1983. "Small sample properties of alternative forms of the Lagrange Multiplier test," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 269-275.
- Lee, Lung-Fei & Chesher, Andrew, 1986. "Specification testing when score test statistics are identically zero," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 121-149, March.
- Hansen, Bruce E, 1994.
"Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 35(3), pages 705-30, August.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Hansen's GARCH models with time-varying t-densities," Statistical Software Components RTZ00086, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, B.E., 1992. "Autoregressive Conditional Density Estimation," RCER Working Papers 322, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Tauchen, George, 1996.
"Which Moments to Match?,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 657-681, October.
- Christian BONTEMPS & Nour MEDDAHI, 2002.
"Testing Normality : A Gmm Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
14-2002, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- H. D. Vinod & B. D. McCullough, 1999. "The Numerical Reliability of Econometric Software," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(2), pages 633-665, June.
- Ole E. Barndorff-Nielsen & Neil Shephard, 2001. "Non-Gaussian Ornstein-Uhlenbeck-based models and some of their uses in financial economics," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series B, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 63(2), pages 167-241.
- Jurgen A Doornik & Henrik Hansen, .
"An omnibus test for univariate and multivariate normalit,"
W4&91., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Jurgen A. Doornik & Henrik Hansen, 2008. "An Omnibus Test for Univariate and Multivariate Normality," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 70(s1), pages 927-939, December.
- Tim Bollerslev & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1988. "Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Dynamic Models with Time-Varying Covariances," Working papers 505, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 2001.
"Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 69(3), pages 683-734, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1999. "Testing When a Parameter Is on the Boundary of the Maintained Hypothesis," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1229, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- BAUWENS, Luc & LAURENT, SÃ©bastien, 2002.
"A new class of multivariate skew densities, with application to GARCH models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2002020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Sébastien Laurent, 2002. "A New Class of Multivariate skew Densities, with Application to GARCH Models," Computing in Economics and Finance 2002 5, Society for Computational Economics.
- Sargan, J D, 1983. "Identification and Lack of Identification," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1605-33, November.
- Davidson, Russell & MacKinnon, James G., 1993. "Estimation and Inference in Econometrics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195060119, July.
- Magnus, J.R., 1986. "The exact moments of a ratio of quadratic forms in normal variables," Other publications TiSEM c6725407-ac3c-44fd-b6d1-5, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1986:i:4:p:05 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eric Ghysels & Anders Eriksson Lars Forsberg, 2004.
"Approximating the probability distribution of functions of random variables: A new approach,"
Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings
503, Econometric Society.
- Anders Eriksson & Lars Forsberg & Eric Ghysels, 2004. "Approximating the Probability Distribution of Functions of Random Variables: A New Approach," CIRANO Working Papers 2004s-21, CIRANO.
- Whitney K. Newey & Douglas G. Steigerwald, 1997. "Asymptotic Bias for Quasi-Maximum-Likelihood Estimators in Conditional Heteroskedasticity Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 587-600, May.
- Kilian, Lutz & Demiroglu, Ufuk, 2000. "Residual-Based Tests for Normality in Autoregressions: Asymptotic Theory and Simulation Evidence," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 18(1), pages 40-50, January.
- H. D. Vinod & B. D. McCullough, 1999. "Corrigenda: The Numerical Reliability of Econometric Software," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 37(4), pages 1565-1565, December.
- Fiorentini, Gabriele & Sentana, Enrique & Calzolari, Giorgio, 2003. "Maximum Likelihood Estimation and Inference in Multivariate Conditionally Heteroscedastic Dynamic Regression Models with Student t Innovations," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 21(4), pages 532-46, October.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:12:y:1996:i:4:p:657-81 is not listed on IDEAS
- Demos, Antonis & Sentana, Enrique, 1998. "Testing for GARCH effects: a one-sided approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 86(1), pages 97-127, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:5177. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct email address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.