World Human Development: 1870-2007
How has wellbeing evolved over time and across regions? How does the West compare to the Rest? What explains their differences? These questions are addressed using an historical index of human development. A sustained improvement in wellbeing has taken place since 1870. The absolute gap between OECD and the Rest widened over time, but an incomplete catching up –largely explained by education- has occurred since 1913 but fading away after 1970, when the Rest fell behind the OECD in terms of longevity. As the health transition was achieved in the Rest, the contribution of life expectancy to human development improvement declined. Meanwhile, in the OECD, as longevity increased, healthy years expanded. A large variance in human development is noticeable in the Rest since 1970, with East Asia, Latin America and North Africa catching up to the OECD, while Central and Eastern Europe and Sub-Saharan Africa falling behind.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 44 - 20 - 7183 8801
Fax: 44 - 20 - 7183 8820
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Facundo Alvaredo & Anthony B Atkinson, 2010. "Colonial Rule, Apartheid and Natural Resources: Top Incomes in South Africa 1903-2005," OxCarre Working Papers 046, Oxford Centre for the Analysis of Resource Rich Economies, University of Oxford.
- Apostolides, Alexander, 2011. "The growth of two small economies in the Great Depression: GDP estimation for Cyprus and Malta during the interwar period (1921-1938)," MPRA Paper 30276, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Andrei Markevich & Mark Harrison, 2009.
"Russia’s Real National Income: The Great War, Civil War, and Recovery, 1913 to 1928,"
w0130, Center for Economic and Financial Research (CEFIR).
- Markevich, Andrei & Harrison, Mark, 2009. "Russia’s Real National Income: The Great War, Civil War, and Recovery, 1913 to 1928," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 911, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- François Bourguignon & Christian Morrisson, 2002.
"Inequality Among World Citizens: 1820-1992,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 727-744, September.
- John W. Kendrick, 1961. "Productivity Trends in the United States," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kend61-1, December.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2011.
"Human Development in Africa: A Long-run Perspective,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8586, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Prados de la Escosura, Leandro, 2013. "Human development in Africa: A long-run perspective," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 179-204.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2011. "Human development in Africa : a long-run perspective," Working Papers in Economic History wp11-09, Universidad Carlos III, Instituto Figuerola de Historia y Ciencias Sociales.
- Leandro Prados de la Escosura, 2011. "Human Development in Africa: A Long-Run Perspective," Working Papers 0008, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Roderick Floud & Bernard Harris, 1996.
"Health, Height and Welfare: Britain 1700-1980,"
NBER Historical Working Papers
0087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- den Bakker, Gert P & Huitker, Theo A & van Bochove, Cornelis A, 1990. "The Dutch Economy 1921-39: Revised Macroeconomic Data for the Interwar Period," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 36(2), pages 187-206, June.
- Pamuk, Sevket, 2006. "Estimating Economic Growth in the Middle East since 1820," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 66(03), pages 809-828, September.
- Crafts, N. F. R., 1997. "The Human Development Index and changes in standards of living: Some historical comparisons," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(03), pages 299-322, December.
- Schulze, Max-Stephan, 2000. "Patterns of growth and stagnation in the late nineteenth century Habsburg economy," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 311-340, December.
- Christian Morrison & Fabrice Murtin, 2009.
"The century of education,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
51583, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Christian Morrisson & Fabrice Murtin, 2009. "The Century of Education," CEE Discussion Papers 0109, Centre for the Economics of Education, LSE.
- Christian Morrisson & Fabrice Murtin, 2009. "The Century of Education," CEP Discussion Papers dp0934, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Christian Morrisson & Fabrice Murtin, 2009. "The century of education," PSE Working Papers halshs-00586751, HAL.
- Christian Morrisson & Fabrice Murtin, 2009. "The century of education," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 28281, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Barro, Robert J. & Lee, Jong Wha, 2013.
"A new data set of educational attainment in the world, 1950–2010,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 184-198.
- Robert J. Barro & Jong-Wha Lee, 2010. "A New Data Set of Educational Attainment in the World, 1950-2010," NBER Working Papers 15902, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sibylle H. Lehmann, 2014.
"Taking firms to the stock market: IPOs and the importance of large banks in imperial Germany, 1896–1913,"
Economic History Review,
Economic History Society, vol. 67(1), pages 92-122, 02.
- Sibylle H. Lehmann, 2012. "Taking Firms to the Stock Market: IPOs and the Importance of Large Banks in Imperial Germany 1896-1913," Working Papers 0026, European Historical Economics Society (EHES).
- Lehmann, Sibylle H., 2012. "Taking firms to the stock market: IPOs and the importance of large banks in Imperial Germany 1896 - 1913," FZID Discussion Papers 58-2012, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Ewout Frankema, 2011.
"The Origins of Formal Education in sub-Saharan Africa - Was British Rule More Benign?,"
0005, Utrecht University, Centre for Global Economic History.
- Ewout H.P. Frankema, 2012. "The origins of formal education in sub-Saharan Africa: was British rule more benign?," European Review of Economic History, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(4), pages 335-355, November.
- Altug, Sumru & Filiztekin, Alpay & Pamuk, Şevket, 2008. "Sources of long-term economic growth for Turkey, 1880–2005," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(03), pages 393-430, December.
- Väinö Kannisto & Mauri Nieminen & Oiva Turpeinen, 1999. "Finnish Life Tables since 1751," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 1(1), July.
- Fenoaltea, Stefano, 2005. "The growth of the Italian economy, 1861 1913: Preliminary second-generation estimates," European Review of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 9(03), pages 273-312, December.
- Richard H. Steckel & Roderick Floud, 1997. "Health and Welfare during Industrialization," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number stec97-1, December.
- Taira, Koji, 1971. "Education and literacy in Meiji Japan: An interpretation," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 371-394.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00588085 is not listed on IDEAS
- David Greasley & Les Oxley, 2000. "Outside the Club: New Zealand's economic growth, 1870-1993," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 173-192.
- Prados de la Escosura Leandro, 2003. "El progreso económico de España (1850-2000)," Books, Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation, edition 1, number 201136.
- Richard H. Steckel & Roderick Floud, 1997. "Introduction to "Health and Welfare during Industrialization"," NBER Chapters, in: Health and Welfare during Industrialization, pages 1-16 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Goerlich, Francisco José & Pinilla, Rafael, 2005.
"Esperanza de Vida y Potencial de Vida a lo largo del siglo XX en España
[Live Expectancy and Potential throughout the twentieth century in Spain]," MPRA Paper 15911, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 2005.
- José Díaz & Rolf Lüders & Gert Wagner, 2007. "Economía Chilena 1810-2000. Producto Total y Sectorial. Una Nueva Mirada," Documentos de Trabajo 315, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpr:ceprdp:9292. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.