Esperanza de Vida y Potencial de Vida a lo largo del siglo XX en España
[Live Expectancy and Potential throughout the twentieth century in Spain]
We review the evolution of mortality in Spain during the XX century. At the same time we comment on the advances in life expectancy, at birth and at different ages, focusing specially on the timing of the changes. Life expectancy at birth is more and more used as an indicator of development, but history tell us that life expectancy increasing leads to population ageing. To take account population ageing, we propose a simple indicator that integrates the demographic structure of a society and the life expectancy of the individuals at their current age, we call this indicator life potential. Life potential allows us to asses the negative effect of population ageing and has been increasing in Spain during the XX century, but less than life expectancy at birth. Since 1980 life potential is decreasing because the negative effect of population ageing has been bigger than life expectancy improvements.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Date of revision:||2005|
|Publication status:||Published in Revista de Demografía Histórica II.XXIII(2005): pp. 79-109|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacques Vallin, 2002. "The End of the Demographic Transition: Relief or Concern?," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 28(1), pages 105-120.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G & Johannesson, Magnus, 1997.
"New Estimates of the Demand for Health: Results Based on a Categorical Health Measure and Swedish Micro Data,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
205, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Gerdtham, Ulf-G. & Johannesson, Magnus, 1999. "New estimates of the demand for health: results based on a categorical health measure and Swedish micro data," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 49(10), pages 1325-1332, November.
- Osberg, Lars & Sharpe, Andrew, 2002. "An Index of Economic Well-Being for Selected OECD Countries," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(3), pages 291-316, September.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005.
"The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 277-291, March.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2003. "The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality," NBER Working Papers 9765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- McDonald, Scott & Roberts, Jennifer, 2002. "Growth and multiple forms of human capital in an augmented Solow model: a panel data investigation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 74(2), pages 271-276, January.
- Joshua A. Salomon & Christopher J. L. Murray, 2002. "The Epidemiologic Transition Revisited: Compositional Models for Causes of Death by Age and Sex," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 28(2), pages 205-228.
- Eduardo Arriaga, 1984. "Measuring and explaining the change in life expectancies," Demography, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 83-96, February.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2002.
"The Health of Nations: The Contribution of Improved Health to Living Standards,"
NBER Working Papers
8818, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- William D. Nordhaus, 2002. "The Health of Nations: The Contribution of Improved Health to Living Standards," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1355, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 1995.
"The Empirics of Growth and Convergence: A Selective Review,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1275, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 1997. "The empirics of growth and convergence: A selective review," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 23-73, January.
- de la Fuente, A., 1995. "The Empirics of Growth and Convergence: A Selective Review," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 294.95, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- J. Pollard, 1988. "On the decomposition of changes in expectation of life and differentials in life expectancy," Demography, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 265-276, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:15911. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.