Early-Life Malaria Exposure and Adult Outcomes: Evidence from Malaria Eradication in India
We examine the effects of exposure to malaria in early childhood on educational attainment and economic status in adulthood by exploiting geographic variation in malaria prevalence in India prior to a nationwide eradication program in the 1950s. We find that the program led to modest increases in household per capita consumption for prime age men, and the effects for men are larger than those for women in most specifications. We find no evidence of increased educational attainment for men, and mixed evidence for women.
|Date of creation:||2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in American Economic Journal: Applied Economics|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economics.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sharon Maccini & Dean Yang, 2009.
"Under the Weather: Health, Schooling, and Economic Consequences of Early-Life Rainfall,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 99(3), pages 1006-26, June.
- Sharon L. Maccini & Dean Yang, 2008. "Under the Weather: Health, Schooling, and Economic Consequences of Early-Life Rainfall," NBER Working Papers 14031, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan I. Barreca, 2010.
"The Long-Term Economic Impact of In Utero and Postnatal Exposure to Malaria,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 45(4), pages 865-892.
- Alan Barreca, 2009. "The Long-Term Economic Impact of In Utero and Postnatal Exposure to Malaria," Working Papers 0905, Tulane University, Department of Economics.
- Hoyt Bleakley, 2010. "Malaria Eradication in the Americas: A Retrospective Analysis of Childhood Exposure," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 1-45, April.
- Adrienne M. Lucas, 2011.
"The Impact of Malaria Eradication on Fertility,"
11-20, University of Delaware, Department of Economics.
- Adrienne M. Lucas, 2010. "Malaria Eradication and Educational Attainment: Evidence from Paraguay and Sri Lanka," American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 46-71, April.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hrv:faseco:5344529. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ben Steinberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.