Financial Markets and Financial Leverage in a Two-Country World-Economy
In this paper, we consider the role of financial market imperfections in a simplified version of a twocountry model. We model cross-country financial heterogeneity through differences in leverage. We show that high leverage economies are particularly vulnerable to slow-downs in the world economy. The degree to which leverage magnifies shocks to the world economy depends on the nature of the disturbance. In the presence of the financial accelerator, supply shocks that are capital specific are likely to be less destabilizing than supply shocks that are disembodied.
|Date of creation:||Oct 2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (562) 670 2000
Fax: (562) 698 4847
Web page: http://www.bcentral.cl/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ester Faia, 2004.
"Monetary policy in a world with different financial systems,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003
28, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Faia, Ester, 2002. "Monetary policy in a world with different financial systems," Working Paper Series 0183, European Central Bank.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio M. Natalucci, 2007.
"External Constraints on Monetary Policy and the Financial Accelerator,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 39(2-3), pages 295-330, 03.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio Natalucci, 2001. "External constraints on monetary policy and the financial accelerator," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Mar.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio M. Natalucci, 2003. "External constraints on monetary policy and the financial accelerator," BIS Working Papers 139, Bank for International Settlements.
- Mark Gertler & Simon Gilchrist & Fabio Natalucci, 2003. "External Constraints on Monetary Policy and the Financial Accelerator," NBER Working Papers 10128, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Calvo, Guillermo A., 1983. "Staggered prices in a utility-maximizing framework," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 383-398, September.
- Kempf, Hubert & Gilchrist, Simon & Hairault, Jean-Olivier, 2002.
"Monetary policy and the financial accelerator in a monetary union,"
Working Paper Series
0175, European Central Bank.
- Simon Gilchrist & Jean-Olivier Hairault & Hubert Kempf, 2002. "Monetary policy and the financial accelerator in a monetary union," International Finance Discussion Papers 750, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:chb:bcchwp:228. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Claudio Sepulveda)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.