Non-Parametric Analysis of Technical Efficiency: Factors Affecting Efficiency of West Java Rice Farms
The objectives of this analysis are to evaluate the technical and scale efficiency of rice farms in West Java and to identify determinants affecting farms’ efficiency. Further, the farm size–productivity relation is investigated. Data Envelopment Analysis is used to estimate technical efficiency scores. Additionally, Tobit regression is used to explain the variation in the efficiency scores related to farm-specific factors. I conclude that farm size is one of the most important factors of farm’s technical efficiency and that high land fragmentation was the main source of the technical inefficiency during the final period of the intensification era, known as the Green Revolution.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 882, Politickych veznu 7, 111 21 Praha 1|
Phone: (+420) 224 005 123
Fax: (+420) 224 005 333
Web page: http://www.cerge-ei.cz
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Townsend, R.F. & Kirsten, Johann F. & Vink, Nick, 1998.
"Farm size, productivity and returns to scale in agriculture revisited: a case study of wine producers in South Africa,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 19(1-2), September.
- Townsend, R. F. & Kirsten, J. & Vink, N., 1998. "Farm size, productivity and returns to scale in agriculture revisited: a case study of wine producers in South Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 19(1-2), pages 175-180, September.
- David A. Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2002.
"Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition; An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis,"
IMF Working Papers
02/146, International Monetary Fund.
- David A Grigorian & Vlad Manole, 2006. "Determinants of Commercial Bank Performance in Transition: An Application of Data Envelopment Analysis," Comparative Economic Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Association for Comparative Economic Studies, vol. 48(3), pages 497-522, September.
- Grigorian, David A. & Manole, Vlad, 2002. "Determinants of commercial bank performance in transition - an application of data envelopment analysis," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2850, The World Bank.
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin, 2005.
"LDC Agriculture: Non-parametric Malmquist productivity indexes,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K., 1997. "LDC agriculture: Nonparametric Malmquist productivity indexes," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 373-390, August.
- William C. Horrace & Peter Schmidt, 2002. "Confidence Statements for Efficiency Estimates from Stochastic Frontier Models," Econometrics 0206006, EconWPA.
- Abdul Wadud & Ben White, 2000. "Farm household efficiency in Bangladesh: a comparison of stochastic frontier and DEA methods," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(13), pages 1665-1673.
- Chieko Umetsu & Thamana Lekprichakul & Ujjayant Chakravorty, 2003. "Efficiency and Technical Change in the Philippine Rice Sector: A Malmquist Total Factor Productivity Analysis," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(4), pages 943-963.
- Subodh Kumar & R. Robert Russell, 2002. "Technological Change, Technological Catch-up, and Capital Deepening: Relative Contributions to Growth and Convergence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(3), pages 527-548, June.
- Viliam Druska & William C. Horrace, 2004.
"Generalized Moments Estimation for Spatial Panel Data: Indonesian Rice Farming,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(1), pages 185-198.
- Viliam Druska & William C. Horrace, 2002. "Generalized Moments Estimation for Spatial Panel Data: Indonesian Rice Farming," Econometrics 0206004, EconWPA, revised 11 May 2003.
- Basanta R. Dhungana & Peter L. Nuthall & Gilbert V. Nartea, 2004. "Measuring the economic inefficiency of Nepalese rice farms using data envelopment analysis," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 48(2), pages 347-369, 06.
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Llewelyn, Richard V. & Williams, Jeffery R., 1996.
"Nonparametric analysis of technical, pure technical, and scale efficiencies for food crop production in East Java, Indonesia,"
Blackwell, vol. 15(2), pages 113-126, November.
- Llewelyn, Richard V. & Williams, Jeffery R., 1996. "Nonparametric analysis of technical, pure technical, and scale efficiencies for food crop production in East Java, Indonesia," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 15(2), November.
- Helfand, Steven M. & Levine, Edward S., 2004.
"Farm size and the determinants of productive efficiency in the Brazilian Center-West,"
Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 241-249, December.
- Helfand, Steven M., 2003. "Farm Size And The Determinants Of Productive Efficiency In The Brazilian Center-West," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25890, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Fare, Rolf & Grosskopf, Shawna, 1994. "Estimation of returns to scale using data envelopment analysis: A comment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 79(2), pages 379-382, December.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 1996. "On price risk and the inverse farm size-productivity relationship," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 193-215, December.
- Hallam, David & Machado, Fernando, 1996. "Efficiency Analysis with Panel Data: A Study of Portuguese Dairy Farms," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 23(1), pages 79-93.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cer:papers:wp286. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jana Koudelkova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.