Technical Efficiency of Freshwater Aquaculture and its Determinants in Tripura, India
Freshwater aquaculture is an important and promising sector of the economy of Tripura State. The biophysical potential for growth in freshwater aquaculture in the state is still far from exhaustion and a faster development is required to meet the growth in demand for fish. This paper has assessed the level of technical efficiency and its determinants of small-scale fish production in the West Tripura district of the state of Tripura, India. The study is based on the cross-sectional primary data collected from 101 fish farmers through a multi-stage random sampling method. The paper has employed stochastic production frontier approach, and has followed both one-stage and two-stage procedures to analyze the determinants of TE. The TE ranges between 0.21 and 0.96 with mean of 0.66 and median of 0.71. The study has revealed the Cobb-Douglas form of stochastic frontier production function is more dependable than that of translog form under the farming conditions in the West Tripura district of Tripura state. One-stage procedure with technical inefficiency model gives reliable estimates of coefficients of stochastic frontier production function than that of two-stage procedure. Seed quality has been found as an important determinant of TE. The study has suggested that the state government needs to play a role to ascertain the supply of quality fish fingerlings at adequate time and quantity to the farmers in the study area.
Volume (Year): 22 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.geocities.com/aeraindia/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aigner, D J & Amemiya, Takeshi & Poirier, Dale J, 1976. "On the Estimation of Production Frontiers: Maximum Likelihood Estimation of the Parameters of a Discontinuous Density Function," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 17(2), pages 377-396, June.
- Wilson, Paul & Hadley, David & Asby, Carol, 2001.
"The influence of management characteristics on the technical efficiency of wheat farmers in eastern England,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 24(3), March.
- Wilson, Paul & Hadley, David & Asby, Carol, 2001. "The influence of management characteristics on the technical efficiency of wheat farmers in eastern England," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 24(3), pages 329-338, March.
- Ahmad, Munir & Boris E., Bravo-Ureta, 1996. "Technical efficiency measures for dairy farms using panel data: a comparison of alternative model specifications," MPRA Paper 37703, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Imelda M. Revilla-Molina & Lammert Bastiaans & Herman Van Keulen & Twng Wah W. Mew & Y.Y. Zhu & Renato Andrin Villano, 2008. "Improvement of Technical Efficiency in Rice Farming through Interplanting: A Stochastic Frontier Analysis in Yunnan, China," DEGIT Conference Papers c013_015, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Pinheiro, António E., 1993. "Efficiency Analysis of Developing Country Agriculture: A Review of the Frontier Function Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(01), pages 88-101, April.
- Bravo-Ureta, Boris E. & Pinheiro, Antonio E., 1993. "Efficiency Analysis Of Developing Country Agriculture: A Review Of The Frontier Function Literature," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 22(1), April.
- Bauer, Paul W., 1990. "Recent developments in the econometric estimation of frontiers," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 39-56.
- Singh, Kehar, 2006. "Relative and Marginal Effects of Fish Production on Family Income Inequality in Tripura: Decomposition of Gini by Income Sources," Agricultural Economics Research Review, Agricultural Economics Research Association (India), vol. 19(2).
- Frantisek Brazdik, 2006. "Non-Parametric Analysis of Technical Efficiency: Factors Affecting Efficiency of West Java Rice Farms," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp286, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:aerrae:57394. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.