Estimating market power in homogenous product markets using a composed error model: application to the California electricity market
Download full text from publisher
Other versions of this item:
- Orea, Luis & Steinbuks, Jevgenijs, 2012. "Estimating Market Power in Homogenous Product Markets Using a Composed Error Model: Application to the California Electricity Market," Efficiency Series Papers 2012/02, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
References listed on IDEAS
- Fabra, Natalia & Toro, Juan, 2005.
"Price wars and collusion in the Spanish electricity market,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 23(3-4), pages 155-181, April.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2001. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2001/05, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Juan Toro & Natalia Fabra, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Economics Series Working Papers 136, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Natalia Fabra & Juan Toro, 2002. "Price Wars and Collusion in the Spanish Electricity Market," Industrial Organization 0212001, EconWPA, revised 26 Jan 2004.
- Severin Boreinstein & Andrea Shepard, 1996.
"Dynamic Pricing in Retail Gasoline Markets,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 27(3), pages 429-451, Autumn.
- Borenstein, S. & Shepard, A., 1993. "Dynamic Pricing in Retail Gazoline Markets," Papers 93-22, California Davis - Institute of Governmental Affairs.
- Severin Borenstein & Andrea Shepard, 1993. "Dynamic Pricing in Retail Gasoline Markets," NBER Working Papers 4489, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher Knittel & Catherine Wolfram & James Bushnell & Severin Borenstein, 2006.
"Inefficiencies and Market Power in Financial Arbitrage: A Study of California?s Electricity Markets,"
630, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Borenstein, Severin & Bushnell, James & Knittel, Chris & Wolfram, Catherine, 2008. "Inefficiencies and Market Power in Financial Arbitrage: A Study of California's Electricity Markets," Staff General Research Papers Archive 13133, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Brander, James A. & Zhang, Anming, 1993. "Dynamic oligopoly behaviour in the airline industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 407-435, September.
- Antonio Alvarez & Christine Amsler & Luis Orea & Peter Schmidt, 2006.
"Interpreting and Testing the Scaling Property in Models where Inefficiency Depends on Firm Characteristics,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 25(3), pages 201-212, June.
- Peter Schmidt & Antonio Alvarez & Christine Amsler, 2004. "Interpreting and testing the scaling property in models where inefficiency depends on firm characteristics," Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings 520, Econometric Society.
- Álvarez, Antonio & Amsler, Christine & Orea, Luis & Schmidt Peter, 2005. "Interpreting and Testing the Scaling Property in Models where Inefficiency Depends on Firm Characteristics," Efficiency Series Papers 2005/03, University of Oviedo, Department of Economics, Oviedo Efficiency Group (OEG).
- Grigorios Emvalomatis & Spiro E. Stefanou & Alfons Oude Lansink, 2010. "A Reduced-Form Model for Dynamic Efficiency Measurement: Application to Dairy Farms in Germany and The Netherlands," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 93(1), pages 161-174.
- Severin Borenstein & James Bushnell & Christopher R. Knittel & Catherine Wolfram, 2008. "INEFFICIENCIES AND MARKET POWER IN FINANCIAL ARBITRAGE: A STUDY OF CALIFORNIA'S ELECTRICITY MARKETS -super-," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(2), pages 347-378, June.
- Abreu, Dilip & Pearce, David & Stacchetti, Ennio, 1986. "Optimal cartel equilibria with imperfect monitoring," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 251-269, June.
- Severin Borenstein, 2002. "The Trouble With Electricity Markets: Understanding California's Restructuring Disaster," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(1), pages 191-211, Winter.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F., 1989. "Empirical studies of industries with market power," Handbook of Industrial Organization,in: R. Schmalensee & R. Willig (ed.), Handbook of Industrial Organization, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 17, pages 1011-1057 Elsevier.
- Karen Clay & Werner Troesken, 2003. "Further Tests of Static Oligopoly Models: Whiskey, 1882-1898," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(2), pages 151-166, June.
- Borenstein, Severin & Rose, Nancy L, 1994.
"Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 102(4), pages 653-683, August.
- Severin Borenstein & Nancy L. Rose, 1991. "Competition and Price Dispersion in the U.S. Airline Industry," NBER Working Papers 3785, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Appelbaum, Elie, 1982. "The estimation of the degree of oligopoly power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 287-299, August.
- Corts, Kenneth S., 1998. "Conduct parameters and the measurement of market power," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 227-250, November.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Sickles, Robin C. & Hao, Jiaqi & Shang, Chenjun, 2015. "Panel Data and Productivity Measurement," Working Papers 15-018, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Chiara Lo Prete and Benjamin F. Hobbs, 2015. "Market power in power markets: an analysis of residual demand curves in Californias day-ahead energy market (1998-2000)," The Energy Journal, International Association for Energy Economics, vol. 0(Number 2).
- Sapio, Alessandro & Spagnolo, Nicola, 2016. "Price regimes in an energy island: Tacit collusion vs. cost and network explanations," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 157-172.
More about this item
Keywordsmarket power; random conduct parameter; composed error model; asymmetric distributions; California electricity market;
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- L13 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Oligopoly and Other Imperfect Markets
- L94 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Electric Utilities
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-05-08 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2012-05-08 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENE-2012-05-08 (Energy Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cam:camdae:1220. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jake Dyer). General contact details of provider: http://www.econ.cam.ac.uk/ .