A dynamic conjectural variations model in the private provision of public goods: a differential game approach
The purpose of this paper is to provide reasonable microfoundation to justify the concept of a conjectural valuations equilibrium which is often used in the literature on the private provision of public goods by incorporating an explicit dynamic process of learning with the help of the differential game. By interpreting the steady state conjectures in such a dynamic provision game as the conjectural variations variations in the corresponding static game, we derive zero or nonzero conjectural variations as an outcome of a learning process. Furthermore, we find that there may be uncountable conjectural variations and the possibility of matching behavior (i.e., positive conjectures), when nonlinear feedback strategies are available and when the domain of a state variable is appropriately restricted.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- Scafuri, Allen J., 1988. "On consistency of conjectures in the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 395-398, December.
- Itaya, Jun-ichi & Dasgupta, Dipankar, 1995. "Dynamics, Consistent Conjectures, and Heterogeneous Agents in the Private Provision of Public Goods," Public Finance = Finances publiques, , vol. 50(3), pages 371-89.
- Shimomura, Koji, 1991. "The feedback equilibria of a differential game of capitalism," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 317-338, April.
- Fershtman, C. & Nitzan, S., 1988.
"Dynamic Voluntary Provision Of Public Goods,"
21-88, Tel Aviv.
- Costrell, Robert M., 1991. "Immiserizing growth with semi-public goods under consistent conjectures," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(3), pages 383-389, August.
- Cornes, Richard & Sandler, Todd, 1985. "On the consistency of conjectures with public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 125-129, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:81:y:2001:i:1:p:153-172. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.