Continuous-Time Public Good Contribution under Uncertainty
We study a continuous-time problem of optimal public good contribution under uncertainty for an economy with an finite number of agents. Each agent can allocate his wealth between private consumption and repeated but irreversible contributions to increase the stock of some public good. We study the corresponding social planner problem and the case of strategic interaction between the agents and we characterize the optimal investment policies by a set of necessary and sufficient stochastic Kuhn-Tucker conditions. Suitably combining arguments from Duality Theory and the General Theory of Stochastic Processes, we prove an abstract existence result for a Nash equilibrium of our public good contribution game. Also, we show that our model exhibits a dynamic free rider effect. We explicitly evaluate it in a symmetric Black-Scholes setting with Cobb-Douglas utilities and we show that uncertainty and irreversibility of public good provisions do not affect free-riding.
|Date of creation:||30 Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Postfach 10 01 31, 33501 Bielefeld|
Web page: http://www.imw.uni-bielefeld.de/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Parimal Bag & Santanu Roy, 2008.
"On Sequential and Simultaneous Contributions under Incomplete Information,"
Departmental Working Papers
0805, Southern Methodist University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Parimal Bag & Santanu Roy, 2011. "On sequential and simultaneous contributions under incomplete information," International Journal of Game Theory, Springer, vol. 40(1), pages 119-145, February.
- Leslie M. Marx & Steven A. Matthews, 2000. "Dynamic Voluntary Contribution to a Public Project," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 67(2), pages 327-358.
- Bergstrom, Theodore & Blume, Lawrence & Varian, Hal, 1986. "On the private provision of public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 25-49, February.
- V. Filipe Martins-da-Rocha & Frank Riedel, 2008.
"On Equilibrium Prices in Continuous Time,"
- Martins-da-Rocha, Victor Filipe & Riedel, Frank, 2011. "On equilibrium prices in continuous time," Center for Mathematical Economics Working Papers 397, Center for Mathematical Economics, Bielefeld University.
- Martins-da-Rocha, Victor Filipe & Riedel, Frank, 2008. "On Equilibrium Prices in Continuous Time," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 672, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Jan-Henrik Steg, 2012.
"Irreversible investment in oligopoly,"
Finance and Stochastics,
Springer, vol. 16(2), pages 207-224, April.
- Lockwood, B. & Thomas, J.P., 1999.
"Gradualism and Irreversibility,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
550, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Ben Lockwood & Jonathan P. Thomas, 1999. "Gradualism and Irreversibility," CSGR Working papers series 28/99, Centre for the Study of Globalisation and Regionalisation (CSGR), University of Warwick.
- Ben Lockwood & Jonathan P. Thomas, 1999. "Gradualism and Irreversibility," Discussion Paper Series, Department of Economics 199909, Department of Economics, University of St. Andrews.
- Lockwood, B. & Thomas, J.P., 1999. "Gradualism and Irreversibility," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 525, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Xia Su & Frank Riedel, 2006.
"On Irreversible Investment,"
Bonn Econ Discussion Papers
bgse13_2006, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Fershtman, Chaim & Nitzan, Shmuel, 1991.
"Dynamic voluntary provision of public goods,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 1057-1067, July.
- Maria B. Chiarolla & Giorgio Ferrari, 2011. "Identifying the Free Boundary of a Stochastic, Irreversible Investment Problem via the Bank-El Karoui Representation Theorem," Papers 1108.4886, arXiv.org, revised Dec 2013.
- Ben Lockwood & Jonathan P. Thomas, 2002. "Gradualism and Irreversibility," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 69(2), pages 339-356.
- Kerry Back & Dirk Paulsen, 2009. "Open-Loop Equilibria and Perfect Competition in Option Exercise Games," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(11), pages 4531-4552, November.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont, 1988. "Fundamentals of Public Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262121271, June.
- Cornes,Richard & Sandler,Todd, 1996. "The Theory of Externalities, Public Goods, and Club Goods," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521477185, 1.
- Y.M. Kabanov, 1999. "Hedging and liquidation under transaction costs in currency markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 237-248.
- Varian, Hal R., 1994. "Sequential contributions to public goods," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(2), pages 165-186, February.
- Peter Bank & Frank Riedel, 2003.
"Optimal Dynamic Choice of Durable and Perishable Goods,"
666156000000000402, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Peter Bank & Frank Riedel, 2003. "Optimal Dynamic Choice of Durable and Perishable Goods," Bonn Econ Discussion Papers bgse29_2003, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Eve Chiapello & A. Hurand, 2011. "Contribution," Post-Print hal-00681170, HAL.
- Wen-Kai Wang & Christian-Oliver Ewald, 2010. "Dynamic voluntary provision of public goods with uncertainty: a stochastic differential game model," Decisions in Economics and Finance, Springer, vol. 33(2), pages 97-116, November.
- Ferrari, Giorgio, 2014.
"On an integral equation for the free boundary of stochastic, irreversible investment problems,"
Center for Mathematical Economics Working Papers
471, Center for Mathematical Economics, Bielefeld University.
- Giorgio Ferrari, 2012. "On an integral equation for the free-boundary of stochastic, irreversible investment problems," Papers 1211.0412, arXiv.org, revised Jan 2015.
- Palfrey, Thomas R. & Rosenthal, Howard, 1984. "Participation and the provision of discrete public goods: a strategic analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 171-193, July.
- Theodore Groves & John Ledyard, 1976.
"Optimal Allocation of Public Goods: A Solution to the 'Free Rider Problem',"
144, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Groves, Theodore & Ledyard, John O, 1977. "Optimal Allocation of Public Goods: A Solution to the "Free Rider" Problem," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 783-809, May.
- Chiarolla, Maria B. & Ferrari, Giorgio & Riedel, Frank, 2014. "Generalized Kuhnâ€“Tucker conditions for N-Firm stochastic irreversible investment under limited resources," Center for Mathematical Economics Working Papers 463, Center for Mathematical Economics, Bielefeld University.
- Marco Battaglini & Salvatore Nunnari & Thomas Palfrey, 2012. "The Free Rider Problem: a Dynamic Analysis," NBER Working Papers 17926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- V. Martins-da-Rocha & Frank Riedel, 2006. "Stochastic equilibria for economies under uncertainty with intertemporal substitution," Annals of Finance, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 101-122, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bie:wpaper:485. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bettina Weingarten)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.