The evolution of mixed conjectures in the rent-extraction game
This paper adopts an evolutionary perspective on the rent-extraction model with conjectural variations (CV). We analyze the global dynamics of the model with three CVs under the replicator equation. We find that the end points of the evolutionary dynamics include the pure-strategy consistent CVs. However, there are also mixed-strategy equilibria that occur. These are on the boundaries between the basins of attraction of the pure-strategy sinks. We develop a more general notion of consistency which applies to mixed-strategy equilibria. In a three conjecture example, we find that in contrast to the pure-strategy equilibria, the mixed-strategy equilibria are not ESS: under the replicator dynamics, there are three or four mixed equilibria that may either be totally unstable, or saddle-stable. There also exist heteroclinic orbits that link equilibria together.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, York, YO10 5DD, United Kingdom|
Phone: (0)1904 323776
Fax: (0)1904 323759
Web page: http://www.york.ac.uk/economics/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicolas Querou & Mabel Tidball, 2014.
"Consistent conjectures in a dynamic model of non-renewable resource management,"
- N. Quérou & M. Tidball, 2014. "Consistent conjectures in a dynamic model of non-renewable resource management," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 220(1), pages 159-180, September.
- Nicolas Quérou & Mabel Tidball, 2009. "Consistent Conjectures in a Dynamic Model of Non-renewable Resource Management," Working Papers 09-28, LAMETA, Universtiy of Montpellier, revised Dec 2009.
- Alex Possajennikov, 2009.
"The Evolutionary Stability of Constant Consistent Conjectures,"
- Possajennikov, Alex, 2009. "The evolutionary stability of constant consistent conjectures," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 72(1), pages 21-29, October.
- Jean-Marie, Alain & Tidball, Mabel, 2006. "Adapting behaviors through a learning process," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 399-422, July.
- Tanaka, Yasuhito, 1991. "On the Consistent Conjectures Equilibrium of Export Subsidy Game," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(3), pages 259-71, July.
- Sugden, Robert, 1985. "Consistent conjectures and voluntary contributions to public goods: why the conventional theory does not work," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 117-124, June.
- Dixon, Huw D. & Somma, Ernesto, 2003. "The evolution of consistent conjectures," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 51(4), pages 523-536, August.
- Nicola Giocoli, 2005. "The escape from conjectural variations: the consistency condition in duopoly theory from Bowley to Fellner," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(4), pages 601-618, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:yor:yorken:11/06. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Paul Hodgson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.