Estimation of nonparametric inefficiency effects stochastic frontier models with an application to British manufacturing
The purpose of this paper is to propose a simple stochastic frontier model with a non-parametric specification for covariates affecting the mean of technical inefficiency. We derive a simple two-step semiparametric estimation procedure to estimate the frontier parameters as well as the mean of the technical inefficiency. The consistency of the estimator and its asymptotic normality are shown. The proposed method is illustrated using a large panel data set of British manufacturing firms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- PARK, ByeongÂ U. & SICKLES, RobinÂ C. & SIMAR, LÃ©opold, 1996.
"Stochastic Panel Frontiers : A Semiparametric Approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers
1996038, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Park, B. U. & Sickles, R. C. & Simar, L., 1998. "Stochastic panel frontiers: A semiparametric approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 273-301, June.
- PARK,Â Beyong U. & SICKLES, Robin C. & SIMAR, LÃ©opold, . "Stochastic panel frontiers: A semiparametric approach," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1330, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kneip, A. & Simar, L., .
"A general framework for frontier estimation with panel data,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1224, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- KNEIP, Alois & SIMAR, LÃ©opold, 1995. "A General Framework for Frontier Estimation with Panel Data," CORE Discussion Papers 1995060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- Qi Li & Thomas J. Kniesner, 2002. "Nonlinearity in dynamic adjustment: Semiparametric estimation of panel labor supply," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 131-148.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, Leopold & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2007. "Nonparametric stochastic frontiers: A local maximum likelihood approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Hung-Jen Wang, 2002.
"Heteroscedasticity and Non-Monotonic Efficiency Effects of a Stochastic Frontier Model,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 241-253, November.
- Wang, Hung-Jen, 2002. "Heteroscedasticity and non-monotonic efficiency effects of a stochastic frontier model," MPRA Paper 31076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nickell, Stephen & Nicolitsas, Daphne & Dryden, Neil, 1997.
"What makes firms perform well?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 783-796, April.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Adams, Robert M & Berger, Allen N & Sickles, Robin C, 1999. "Semiparametric Approaches to Stochastic Panel Frontiers with Applications in the Banking Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 349-58, July.
- Stephen Nickell, 1993.
"Competition and Corporate Performance,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0182, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Fotopoulos, Georgios & Louri, Helen, 2000. " Location and Survival of New Entry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 311-21, June.
- Wang, Hung-jen & Schmidt, Peter, 2001.
"One-step and two-step estimation of the effects of exogenous variables on technical efficiency levels,"
31075, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2002.
- Hung-jen Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2002. "One-Step and Two-Step Estimation of the Effects of Exogenous Variables on Technical Efficiency Levels," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 129-144, September.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2000. "Estimating Semiparametric Econometrics Models by Local Linear Method: With an Application to Cross-Country Growth," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 1(2), pages 337-357, November.
- McAllister, Patrick H. & McManus, Douglas, 1993. "Resolving the scale efficiency puzzle in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 389-405, April.
- Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao, 1998. "Efficient estimation of conditional variance functions in stochastic regression," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6635, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Kien C. Tran & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2003. "On the choice of functional form in stochastic frontier modeling," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 75-100, January.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi & Weersink, Alfons, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of Stochastic Production Frontier Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(4), pages 460-68, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:26:y:2009:i:5:p:904-909. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.