Estimation of nonparametric inefficiency effects stochastic frontier models with an application to British manufacturing
The purpose of this paper is to propose a simple stochastic frontier model with a non-parametric specification for covariates affecting the mean of technical inefficiency. We derive a simple two-step semiparametric estimation procedure to estimate the frontier parameters as well as the mean of the technical inefficiency. The consistency of the estimator and its asymptotic normality are shown. The proposed method is illustrated using a large panel data set of British manufacturing firms.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kneip, A. & Simar, L., .
"A general framework for frontier estimation with panel data,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1224, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- KNEIP, Alois & SIMAR, Léopold, 1995. "A General Framework for Frontier Estimation with Panel Data," CORE Discussion Papers 1995060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Fotopoulos, Georgios & Louri, Helen, 2000. " Location and Survival of New Entry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 311-21, June.
- Jianqing Fan & Qiwei Yao, 1998. "Efficient estimation of conditional variance functions in stochastic regression," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6635, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nickell, S.J., 1993.
"Competition and Crporate Performance,"
Economics Series Working Papers
99155, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Adams, Robert M & Berger, Allen N & Sickles, Robin C, 1999. "Semiparametric Approaches to Stochastic Panel Frontiers with Applications in the Banking Industry," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 17(3), pages 349-58, July.
- Fan, Yanqin & Li, Qi & Weersink, Alfons, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of Stochastic Production Frontier Models," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 14(4), pages 460-68, October.
- Hung-jen Wang & Peter Schmidt, 2002.
"One-Step and Two-Step Estimation of the Effects of Exogenous Variables on Technical Efficiency Levels,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 129-144, September.
- Wang, Hung-jen & Schmidt, Peter, 2001. "One-step and two-step estimation of the effects of exogenous variables on technical efficiency levels," MPRA Paper 31075, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Mar 2002.
- Jondrow, James & Knox Lovell, C. A. & Materov, Ivan S. & Schmidt, Peter, 1982. "On the estimation of technical inefficiency in the stochastic frontier production function model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2-3), pages 233-238, August.
- Meeusen, Wim & van den Broeck, Julien, 1977. "Efficiency Estimation from Cobb-Douglas Production Functions with Composed Error," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 18(2), pages 435-44, June.
- Wang, Hung-Jen, 2002.
"Heteroscedasticity and non-monotonic efficiency effects of a stochastic frontier model,"
31076, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hung-Jen Wang, 2002. "Heteroscedasticity and Non-Monotonic Efficiency Effects of a Stochastic Frontier Model," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 241-253, November.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C & Ghosh, Soumendra & McGuckin, J Thomas, 1991. "A Generalized Production Frontier Approach for Estimating Determinants of Inefficiency in U.S. Dairy Farms," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 9(3), pages 279-86, July.
- McAllister, Patrick H. & McManus, Douglas, 1993. "Resolving the scale efficiency puzzle in banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 389-405, April.
- Battese, G E & Coelli, T J, 1995. "A Model for Technical Inefficiency Effects in a Stochastic Frontier Production Function for Panel Data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 325-32.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Nickell, Stephen & Nicolitsas, Daphne & Dryden, Neil, 1997.
"What makes firms perform well?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 41(3-5), pages 783-796, April.
- PARK, Beyong U. & SICKLES, Robin C. & SIMAR, Léopold, .
"Stochastic panel frontiers: A semiparametric approach,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1330, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Park, B. U. & Sickles, R. C. & Simar, L., 1998. "Stochastic panel frontiers: A semiparametric approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 273-301, June.
- PARK, Byeong U. & SICKLES, Robin C. & SIMAR, Léopold, 1996. "Stochastic Panel Frontiers : A Semiparametric Approach," CORE Discussion Papers 1996038, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Qi Li & Thomas J. Kniesner, 2002. "Nonlinearity in dynamic adjustment: Semiparametric estimation of panel labor supply," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 27(1), pages 131-148.
- Powell, James L & Stock, James H & Stoker, Thomas M, 1989. "Semiparametric Estimation of Index Coefficients," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(6), pages 1403-30, November.
- Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Park, Byeong U. & Simar, Leopold & Tsionas, Efthymios G., 2007. "Nonparametric stochastic frontiers: A local maximum likelihood approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 1-27, March.
- Qi Li & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2000. "Estimating Semiparametric Econometrics Models by Local Linear Method: With an Application to Cross-Country Growth," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 1(2), pages 337-357, November.
- Konstantinos Giannakas & Kien C. Tran & Vangelis Tzouvelekas, 2003. "On the choice of functional form in stochastic frontier modeling," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 28(1), pages 75-100, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecmode:v:26:y:2009:i:5:p:904-909. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.