Goal achievement in supply chain networks: A study of the Ukrainian agri-food business
Three general implications for chain management can be derived from my results: 1. Network-level and firm-level goals must be considered simultaneously within a collective strategy. The collective strategy should address not only the alignment of interests of individual network members but also the alignment of network-level and firm-level goals. Moreover, a collective strategy has to be seen as a plan of actions to achieve network-level and firm-level goals simultaneously. 2. The alignment and the achievement of network-level and firm-level goals must be addressed simultaneously because the acceptable degree of goal consensus by itself does not guarantee goal achievement while the concerted action alone may fail due to goal conflict. 3. The resolution of infrastructural problems in the Ukrainian agri-food business must be set as a network-level goal and pursued by all members of the supply chain network together. Furthermore, the way the chain management concepts can be modified in Ukraine is to make a distinction between a) parity and b) advantage chain management. In the case of parity chain management, the aim of the collective strategy is to gain parity with the competing supply chain networks, e.g. a certain level of quality can be regarded as a competitive necessity. Advantage chain management aims to create longterm enduring competitive advantages by adding strategic elements that are higher than the parity standards. It should be much easier to formulate an integrated and consistent management system with this division.
|This book is provided by Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO) in its series Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Transition Economies with number 64 and published in 2012.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Theodor-Lieser-Strasse 2, 06120 Halle(Saale)|
Phone: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 0
Fax: (+49) (0) 345 / 29 28 199
Web page: http://www.iamo.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Claude Ménard, 2005.
"New institutions for governing the agri-food industry,"
European Review of Agricultural Economics,
Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 32(3), pages 421-440, September.
- Claude Ménard & Egizio Valceschini, 2005. "New Institutions for Governing the Agri-food Industry," Post-Print halshs-00276876, HAL.
- Liesbeth Dries & Thomas Reardon & Johan F. M. Swinnen, 2004. "The Rapid Rise of Supermarkets in Central and Eastern Europe: Implications for the Agrifood Sector and Rural Development," Development Policy Review, Overseas Development Institute, vol. 22, pages 525-556, September.
- Holmstrom, Bengt & Milgrom, Paul, 1991. "Multitask Principal-Agent Analyses: Incentive Contracts, Asset Ownership, and Job Design," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(0), pages 24-52, Special I.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007.
"Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch,"
Studies on the Agricultural and Food Sector in Transition Economies,
Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies (IAMO), volume 41, number 92322.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007.
"Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch
[Market structure and pricing on the Ukrainian market for raw milk]," MPRA Paper 21958, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Perekhozhuk, Oleksandr, 2007. "Marktstruktur und Preisbildung auf dem ukrainischen Markt für Rohmilch
- Oliver E. Williamson, 2000. "The New Institutional Economics: Taking Stock, Looking Ahead," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 38(3), pages 595-613, September.
- J Michael Geringer & Louis Hebert, 1991. "Measuring Performance of International Joint Ventures," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 22(2), pages 249-263, June.
- Vladislav Valentinov, 2007. "The Property Rights Approach to Nonprofit Organization: The Role of Intrinsic Motivation," Public Organization Review, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 41-55, March.
- Tenenhaus, Michel & Vinzi, Vincenzo Esposito & Chatelin, Yves-Marie & Lauro, Carlo, 2005. "PLS path modeling," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 159-205, January.
- William G. Soucie, 1997. "Efficient Consumer Response meets the Industrialization of Agriculture," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(3), pages 349-355.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Swinnen, Johan F. M., 2004. "Foreign Direct Investment, Vertical Integration, and Local Suppliers: Evidence from the Polish Dairy Sector," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 1525-1544, September.
- Arnold Picot, 1998. "Die grenzenlose Unternehmung," ifo Schnelldienst, ifo Institute - Leibniz Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 51(34-35), pages 44-55, October.
- Medlin, Christopher J., 2006. "Self and collective interest in business relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(7), pages 858-865, July.
- Michael Boehlje, 1999. "Structural Changes in the Agricultural Industries: How Do We Measure, Analyze and Understand Them?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(5), pages 1028-1041.
- Ariño, Africa & de la Torre, Jose & Ring, Peter S., 2001. "Relational quality: Managing trust in corporate alliances," IESE Research Papers D/434, IESE Business School.
- Africa Ariño, 2003. "Measures of strategic alliance performance: an analysis of construct validity," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 34(1), pages 66-79, January.
- Matthew Gorton & John White & Svetlana Chernyshova & Alexander Skripnik & Tatiana Vinichenko & Mikhail Dumitrasco & Galina Soltan, 2003. "The reconfiguration of post-Soviet food industries: Evidence from Ukraine and Moldova," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(4), pages 409-424.
- Thomas J. Hoban, 1998. "Food industry innovation: Efficient consumer response," Agribusiness, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(3), pages 235-245.
- Darby, Michael R & Karni, Edi, 1973. "Free Competition and the Optimal Amount of Fraud," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 16(1), pages 67-88, April.
- Neil M. Coe & Martin Hess, 2005. "The internationalization of retailing: implications for supply network restructuring in East Asia and Eastern Europe," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(4), pages 449-473, August.
- Agata Pieniadz & Heinrich Hockmann, 2008. "Factors Driving Quality Standard Compliance in the Polish Dairy Sector," Atlantic Economic Journal, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 36(1), pages 41-52, March.
- Levinthal, Daniel, 1988. "A survey of agency models of organizations," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 153-185, March.
- John C. Harsanyi & Reinhard Selten, 1972. "A Generalized Nash Solution for Two-Person Bargaining Games with Incomplete Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(5-Part-2), pages 80-106, January.
- Thomas Reardon & Spencer Henson & Julio Berdegué, 2007. "'Proactive fast-tracking' diffusion of supermarkets in developing countries: implications for market institutions and trade," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(4), pages 399-431, July.
- Gorton, Matthew & Dumitrashko, Mikhail & White, John, 2006. "Overcoming supply chain failure in the agri-food sector: A case study from Moldova," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 90-103, February.
- Stanley Baiman & Paul E. Fischer & Madhav V. Rajan, 2001. "Performance Measurement and Design in Supply Chains," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(1), pages 173-188, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:iamost:64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.