Collaborative Planning, Forecasting, and Replenishment (CPFR) as a Relational Contract: An Incomplete Contracting Perspective
This paper analyzes Collaborative Planning, Forecasting, and Replenishment (CPFR) from an incomplete contracting perspective. In the absence of economic incentive problems, CPFR enables trading partners to improve operational efficiency through a structured process of sharing and utilizing information across firm-level boundaries. From the review of the incomplete contracts literature and a case study of CPFR arrangement, it is proposed that this IT-supported vertical arrangement also becomes the preferred governance mode as a relational contract. With efficient coordination and enhanced economic incentives for mutual commitment, CPFR allows contracting parties to avoid the difficulties of formal contracting while realizing the benefits that would be anticipated from vertical financial ownership.
|Date of creation:||Apr 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.business.uiuc.edu/Working_Papers/Main.asp|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Hart, Oliver D., 1986.
"The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration,"
3450060, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver D, 1986. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 691-719, August.
- Oliver Hart & Sanford Grossman, 1985. "The Costs and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," Working papers 372, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Grossman, Sanford J & Hart, Oliver, 1985. "The Cost and Benefits of Ownership: A Theory of Vertical and Lateral Integration," CEPR Discussion Papers 70, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, 1997.
"Power in a Theory of the Firm,"
NBER Working Papers
6274, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Raghuram G. Rajan & Luigi Zingales, . "Power in a Theory of the Firm," CRSP working papers 335, Center for Research in Security Prices, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago.
- Rajan, Raghuram G & Zingales, Luigi, 1998. "Power in a Theory of the Firm," CEPR Discussion Papers 1777, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yossi Aviv, 2002. "Gaining Benefits from Joint Forecasting and Replenishment Processes: The Case of Auto-Correlated Demand," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 4(1), pages 55-74, December.
- Keith Blois, 2002. "Business To Business Exchanges: A Rich Descriptive Apparatus Derived From Macneil's and Menger's Analyses," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(4), pages 523-551, 06.
- Peter Lok & Richard Y. Hung & Paul Walsh & Paul Wang & John Crawford, 2005. "An Integrative Framework for Measuring the Extent to which Organizational Variables Influence the Success of Process Improvement Programmes," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(7), pages 1357-1381, November.
- Seidmann, A. & Sundarajan, A., 1997. "Sharing Logistics Information Across Organizations: Technology, Competition and Contracting," Papers 97-01, Rochester, Business - Operations Management.
- Erik Brynjolfsson, 1994. "Information Assets, Technology and Organization," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(12), pages 1645-1662, December.
- George Baker & Robert Gibbons & Kevin J. Murphy, 2002. "Relational Contracts And The Theory Of The Firm," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 117(1), pages 39-84, February.
- Yossi Aviv, 2001. "The Effect of Collaborative Forecasting on Supply Chain Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(10), pages 1326-1343, October.
- Helper, Susan & MacDuffie, John Paul & Sabel, Charles, 2000. "Pragmatic Collaborations: Advancing Knowledge While Controlling Opportunism," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(3), pages 443-87, September.
- Hart, Oliver D. & Moore, John, 1990.
"Property Rights and the Nature of the Firm,"
3448675, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A. & Demsetz, Harold, 1973. "The Property Right Paradigm," The Journal of Economic History, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(01), pages 16-27, March.
- Williamson, Oliver E, 1983. "Credible Commitments: Using Hostages to Support Exchange," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 519-40, September.
- Barrie R. Nault, 1998. "Information Technology and Organization Design: Locating Decisions and Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(10), pages 1321-1335, October.
- J. Christopher Westland & Theodore H. K. Clark, 1999. "Global Electronic Commerce: Theory and Case Studies," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262232057, June.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Marshall Fisher, 2000. "Supply Chain Inventory Management and the Value of Shared Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 46(8), pages 1032-1048, August.
- Christian Terwiesch & Z. Justin Ren & Teck H. Ho & Morris A. Cohen, 2005. "An Empirical Analysis of Forecast Sharing in the Semiconductor Equipment Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 51(2), pages 208-220, February.
- Martha S. Feldman, 2002. "Organizational Routines as Sources of Connections and Understandings," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 309-331, 05.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Martin A. Lariviere, 2001. "Contracting to Assure Supply: How to Share Demand Forecasts in a Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 629-646, May.
- Klein, Benjamin & Leffler, Keith B, 1981. "The Role of Market Forces in Assuring Contractual Performance," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 615-41, August.
- Carlo Salvato, 2003. "The Role of Micro-Strategies in the Engineering of Firm Evolution," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(1), pages 83-108, 01.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ecl:illbus:06-0102. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.