The choice of emission indicators in environmental policy design: an analysis of GHG abatement in different dairy farms based on a bio-economic model approach
The application of economic instruments to GHG emissions from dairy farms needs to rely on GHG indicators as actual emissions are impossible or extremely costly to measure. The choice of indicator impacts chosen abatement options, related costs and GHG actually emitted. A tool to quantify these relations is proposed which at its core consists of a highly detailed, mixed-integer dynamic programming model template able to cover a wide range of dairy farm characteristics and promising indicators. It allows deriving and comparing marginal abatement costs of GHGs emission for different farm types and indicators, informing the policy process about promising indicators, abatement strategies and related abatement and measurement costs.
Volume (Year): 93 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.necplus.eu/action/displayJournal?jid=RAE
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sophie Durandeau & Benoit Gabrielle & Caroline Godard & Pierre-Alain Jayet & Christine Le Bas, 2010. "Coupling biophysical and micro-economic models to assess the effect of mitigation measures on greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture," Post-Print hal-00410001, HAL.
- Dominguez, Ignacio Perez & Britz, Wolfgang, 2010. "Greenhouse Gas Emission Trading In European Agriculture: A Comparison Of Different Policy Implementation Options In Year 2020," Proceedings Issues, 2010: Climate Change in World Agriculture: Mitigation, Adaptation, Trade and Food Security, June 2010, Stuttgart- Hohenheim, Germany 91396, International Agricultural Trade Research Consortium.
- de Cara, Stephane & Jayet, Pierre-Alain, 2001. "Agriculture And Climate Change In The Eu: Greenhouse Gas Emissions And Abatement Costs," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20577, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Bruno Vermont & Stephane De Cara, 2010.
"How costly is mitigation of non-CO2 greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture?: A meta-analysis,"
34004, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Vermont, Bruno & De Cara, Stéphane, 2010. "How costly is mitigation of non-CO2 greenhouse gas emissions from agriculture?: A meta-analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(7), pages 1373-1386, May.
- Kennedy, John O. S., 1988. "Principles of dynamic optimization in resource management," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 2(1), pages 57-72, June.
- Stephane De Cara & Martin HouzÃ© & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2005.
"Methane and nitrous oxide emissions from agriculture in the EU : a spatial assessment of sources and abatement costs,"
156815, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Stéphane Cara & Martin Houzé & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2005. "Methane and Nitrous Oxide Emissions from Agriculture in the EU: A Spatial Assessment of Sources and Abatement Costs," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 32(4), pages 551-583, December.
- De Cara & Jayet, 2000.
"Emissions of greenhouse gases from agriculture : the heterogeneity of abatement costs in France,"
156214, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- S De Cara & P-A Jayet, 2000. "Emissions of greenhouse gases from agriculture: the heterogeneity of abatement costs in France," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(3), pages 281-303, September.
- Osterburg, Bernhard & Nieberg, Hiltrud & Röder, Norbert & Isermeyer, Folkhard & Haenel, Hans-Dieter & Hahne, Jochen & Krentler, Jan-Gerd & Paulsen, Hans Marten & Schuchardt, Frank & Schweinle, Jörg & , 2009. "Erfassung, Bewertung und Minderung von Treibhausgasemissionen des deutschen Agrar- und Ernährungssektors: Studie im Auftrag des Bundesministeriums für Ernährung, Landwirtschaft und Verbraucherschutz," Arbeitsberichte aus der vTI-Agrarökonomie 03/2009, Johann Heinrich von Thünen Institute, Federal Research Institute for Rural Areas, Forestry and Fisheries.
- Huirne, R. B. M. & Dijkhuizen, A. A. & van Beek, P. & Hendriks, Th. H. B., 1993. "Stochastic dynamic programming to support sow replacement decisions," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 161-171, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rae:jourae:v:93:y:2012:i:2:p:117-144. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Saux-Nogues)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.