Carbon sequestration through the planting of multi-annual energy crops: A dynamic and spatial assessment
In this study, we examine the spatial and dynamic implications of policies aimed at increasing carbon sequestration in agricultural soils. We consider incentive mechanisms designed to encourage the planting of energy multi-annual crops that allow higher carbon sequestration rates for a longer period of time. By using a dynamic micro-economic model, we simulate the sequence of crop plantings over a given time horizon and investigate different payment mechanisms (per-ton or per-hectare). We discuss their implications in terms of regulation policy and efficiency. This model is then applied to the Central Plains of Thessaly, Greece, to assess the marginal costs of carbon sequestration and the optimal timing of switching to multi-annual energy crops. To do so, we combine the dynamic microeconomic model with a carbon accounting model and a geophysical database. We assess the efficiency loss of constant per-hectare payments compared to per-ton mechanisms. The dynamic and spatial implications of these mechanisms are compared and discussed.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 30 81 53 30
Fax: 01 30 81 53 68
Web page: http://www4.versailles-grignon.inra.fr/economie_publique_eng
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S De Cara & P-A Jayet, 2000. "Emissions of greenhouse gases from agriculture: the heterogeneity of abatement costs in France," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 27(3), pages 281-303, September.
- Hongli Feng, 2002. "Dynamics of Carbon Sequestration and Measures of Cost-Effectiveness, The," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 02-wp320, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Bruce A. McCarl & Brian C. Murray & Uwe A. Schneider, 2001. "Influences of Permanence on the Comparative Value of Biological Sequestration versus Emissions Offsets," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 01-wp282, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- De Cara & Jayet, 2000. "Emissions of greenhouse gases from agriculture : the heterogeneity of abatement costs in France," Working Papers 156214, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Douglas J. Miller, 1999. "An Econometric Analysis of the Costs of Sequestering Carbon in Forests," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 812-824.
- Feng, Hongli & Zhao, Jinhua & Kling, Catherine L., 2002. "Time Path and Implementation of Carbon Sequestration (The)," Staff General Research Papers 5068, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Antle, John & Capalbo, Susan & Mooney, Sian & Elliott, Edward & Paustian, Keith, 2003. "Spatial heterogeneity, contract design, and the efficiency of carbon sequestration policies for agriculture," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 231-250, September.
- Stavins, Robert & Newell, Richard, 1999.
"Climate Change and Forest Sinks: Factors Affecting the Costs of Carbon Sequestration,"
dp-99-31-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Newell, Richard G. & Stavins, Robert N., 2000. "Climate Change and Forest Sinks: Factors Affecting the Costs of Carbon Sequestration," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 211-235, November.
- Stavins, Robert, 2000. "limate Change and Forest Sinks: Factors Affecting the Costs of Carbon Sequestration," Working Paper Series rwp00-001, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- de Cara, Stephane & Jayet, Pierre-Alain, 2001. "Agriculture And Climate Change In The Eu: Greenhouse Gas Emissions And Abatement Costs," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20577, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Schneider, Uwe A. & Kumar, Pushpam, 2008. "Greenhouse Gas Mitigation through Agriculture," Choices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 23(1).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:apu:wpaper:2004/05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RÃ©gis Grateau)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.