Modeling linkages between climate policy and land use: an overview
Agriculture and forestry play an important role in emitting and storing greenhouse gases. For an efficient and cost-effective climate policy, it is therefore important to include land use, land-use change, and forestry (LULUCF) explicitly in economy-climate models. This article gives an overview and assessment of existing approaches to include LULUCF into partial and general equilibrium economy-climate models. For each class of models, we describe different examples, their treatment of land, and their potential for and applicability to policy analysis, as well as their shortcomings. We identify data requirements and conceptual problems, and provide suggestions for future research. Copyright (c) 2009 International Association of Agricultural Economists.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 40 (2009)
Issue (Month): 5 (09)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0169-5150|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0169-5150|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suzi Kerr & Shuguang Liu & Alexander Pfaff & Flint Hughes, 2003.
"Carbon Dynamics and Land-use Choices: Building a Regional-scale Multidisciplinary Model,"
- Suzi Kerr & Shuguang Liu & Alexander S. P. Pfaff & R. Flint Hughes, 2003. "Carbon Dynamics and Land-Use Choices: Building a Regional-Scale Multidisciplinary Model," Working Papers 03_06, Motu Economic and Public Policy Research.
- Antle, John & Capalbo, Susan & Mooney, Sian & Elliott, Edward & Paustian, Keith, 2003. "Spatial heterogeneity, contract design, and the efficiency of carbon sequestration policies for agriculture," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 46(2), pages 231-250, September.
- Tongeren, Frank van & Meijl, Hans van & Surry, Yves, 2001.
"Global models applied to agricultural and trade policies: a review and assessment,"
Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists,
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 26(2), November.
- van Tongeren, Frank & van Meijl, Hans & Surry, Yves, 2001. "Global models applied to agricultural and trade policies: a review and assessment," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 26(2), pages 149-172, November.
- Ronneberger, Kerstin & Berrittella, Maria & Boselle, Francesco & Tol, Richard, 2008. "KLUM@GTAP: Spatially-Explicit, Biophysical Land Use in a Computable General Equilibrium Model," GTAP Working Papers 2611, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- Brent Sohngen & Robert Mendelsohn, 2003. "An Optimal Control Model of Forest Carbon Sequestration," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 448-457.
- Ianchovichina, Elena & Darwin, Roy & Shoemaker, Robbin, 2001. "Resource use and technological progress in agriculture: a dynamic general equilibrium analysis," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 275-291, August.
- Stéphane Cara & Martin Houzé & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2005. "Methane and Nitrous Oxide Emissions from Agriculture in the EU: A Spatial Assessment of Sources and Abatement Costs," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 32(4), pages 551-583, December.
- Heng-Chi Lee & Bruce A. McCarl, 2004.
"The Dynamic Competitiveness of U.S. Agricultural and Forest Carbon Sequestration,"
UWO Department of Economics Working Papers
20044, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2003.
- Heng-Chi Lee & Bruce A. McCarl & Dhazn Gillig, 2005. "The Dynamic Competitiveness of U.S. Agricultural and Forest Carbon Sequestration," Canadian Journal of Agricultural Economics/Revue canadienne d'agroeconomie, Canadian Agricultural Economics Society/Societe canadienne d'agroeconomie, vol. 53(4), pages 343-357, December.
- Pfaff, Alexander S. P. & Kerr, Suzi & Hughes, R. Flint & Liu, Shuguang & Sanchez-Azofeifa, G. Arturo & Schimel, David & Tosi, Joseph & Watson, Vicente, 2000. "The Kyoto protocol and payments for tropical forest:: An interdisciplinary method for estimating carbon-offset supply and increasing the feasibility of a carbon market under the CDM," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 203-221, November.
- Martin Banse & Hans van Meijl & Andrzej Tabeau & Geert Woltjer, 2008. "Will EU biofuel policies affect global agricultural markets?," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(2), pages 117-141, June.
- Ralph Alig & Darius Adams & Bruce McCarl & J. Callaway & Steven Winnett, 1997. "Assessing effects of mitigation strategies for global climate change with an intertemporal model of the U.S. forest and agriculture sectors," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 9(3), pages 259-274, April.
- Arjan Lejour & Paul Veenendaal & Gerard Verweij & Nico van Leeuwen, 2006. "Worldscan; a model for international economic policy analysis," CPB Document 111, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- Antle, John M. & Capalbo, Susan Marie, 2000.
"Econometric-Process Models For Integrated Assessment Of Agricultural Production Systems,"
Trade Research Center Research Discussion Papers
29234, Montana State University, Department of Agricultural Economics and Economics.
- John M. Antle & Susan M. Capalbo, 2001. "Econometric-Process Models for Integrated Assessment of Agricultural Production Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 389-401.
- Uwe A. Schneider & Bruce A. McCarl, 2006.
"Appraising agricultural greenhouse gas mitigation potentials: effects of alternative assumptions,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 35(3), pages 277-287, November.
- Uwe A. Schneider & Bruce A. McCarl, 2005. "Appraising Agricultural Greenhouse Gas Mitigation Potentials: Effects of Alternative Assumptions," Working Papers FNU-81, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Jul 2005.
- Golub, Alla & Hertel, Thomas & Lee, Huey-Lin & Rose, Steven & Sohngen, Brent, 2009. "The opportunity cost of land use and the global potential for greenhouse gas mitigation in agriculture and forestry," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 299-319, November.
- Kretschmer, Bettina & Peterson, Sonja, 2010.
"Integrating bioenergy into computable general equilibrium models -- A survey,"
Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 673-686, May.
- Bettina Kretschmer & Sonja Peterson, 2008. "Integrating Bioenergy into Computable General Equilibrium Models – A Survey," Kiel Working Papers 1473, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Lubowski, Ruben & Plantinga, Andrew & Stavins, Robert, 2005.
"Land-Use Change and Carbon Sinks: Econometric Estimation of the Carbon Sequestration Supply Function,"
Working Paper Series
rwp05-001, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Lubowski, Ruben N. & Plantinga, Andrew J. & Stavins, Robert N., 2006. "Land-use change and carbon sinks: Econometric estimation of the carbon sequestration supply function," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 135-152, March.
- Tavoni, Massimo & Sohngen, Brent & Bosetti, Valentina, 2007.
"Forestry and the carbon market response to stabilize climate,"
Elsevier, vol. 35(11), pages 5346-5353, November.
- Massimo Tavoni & Valentina Bosetti & Brent Sohngen, 2007. "Forestry and the Carbon Market Response to Stabilize Climate," Working Papers 2007.15, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Douglas J. Miller, 1999. "An Econometric Analysis of the Costs of Sequestering Carbon in Forests," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(4), pages 812-824.
- Antle, John M. & Capalbo, Susan Marie & Mooney, Sian & Elliott, Edward T. & Paustian, Keith H., 2001. "Economic Analysis Of Agricultural Soil Carbon Sequestration: An Integrated Assessment Approach," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 26(02), December.
- Benitez, Pablo C. & Obersteiner, Michael, 2006. "Site identification for carbon sequestration in Latin America: A grid-based economic approach," Forest Policy and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 636-651, August.
- Sands, Ronald & Kim, Man-Keun, 2008. "Modeling the Competition for Land: Methods and Application to Climate Policy," GTAP Working Papers 2606, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
- van 't Veld, Klaas & Plantinga, Andrew, 2005. "Carbon sequestration or abatement? The effect of rising carbon prices on the optimal portfolio of greenhouse-gas mitigation strategies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 59-81, July.
- Uwe A. Schneider & Juraj Balkovic & Stephane de Cara & Oskar Franklin & Steffen Fritz & Petr Havlik & Ingo Huck & Kerstin Jantke & A. Maarit I. Kallio & Florian Klaxner & Alexander Moiseyev & Michael , 2008. "The European Forest and Agriculture Optimisation Model -- EUFASOM," Working Papers FNU-156, Research unit Sustainability and Global Change, Hamburg University, revised Feb 2008.
- Robert N. Stavins, 1999. "The Costs of Carbon Sequestration: A Revealed-Preference Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 994-1009, September.
- Brent Sohngen & Robert Mendelsohn & Roger Sedjo, 1999. "Forest Management, Conservation, and Global Timber Markets," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(1), pages 1-13.
- Darwin, Roy & Tsigas, Marinos & Lewandrowski, Jan & Raneses, Anton, 1996. "Land use and cover in ecological economics," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 157-181, June.
- Sohngen, Brent & Golub, Alla & Hertel, Thomas, 2008. "The Role of Forestry in Carbon Sequestration in General Equilibrium Models," GTAP Working Papers 2610, Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bla:agecon:v:40:y:2009:i:5:p:507-517. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.