Land use dynamics and the environment
We build a model to study optimal land use, encompassing land use activities, pollution and climate change. This benchmark set-up allows us to identify the spatial drivers behind the interaction between land use and the environment. Pollution generates local and global damages since it flows across locations following a Gaussian Plume. In constrast to the previous literature on spatial dynamics, we prove that the social optimum problem is well-posed, i.e., the solution exists and is unique. We close the paper with a numerical analysis which illustrates the richness of our model, and its global dynamics. We study the different drivers of spatial heterogeneity. In particular, abatement technology stands out as a fundamental ingredient to achieve steady state solutions, which are compatible with the emergence of spatial patterns.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Havlík, Petr & Schneider, Uwe A. & Schmid, Erwin & Böttcher, Hannes & Fritz, Steffen & Skalský, Rastislav & Aoki, Kentaro & Cara, Stéphane De & Kindermann, Georg & Kraxner, Florian & Leduc, Sylvain & , 2011. "Global land-use implications of first and second generation biofuel targets," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 5690-5702, October.
- Klaus Desmet & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2010.
"On Spatial Dynamics,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(1), pages 43-63.
- Raja Chakir & Anne-Claire Madignier, 2006. "Analyse des changements d'occupation des sols en France entre 1992 et 2003," Working Papers 11526, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Luca Marchiori & Ingmar Schumacher, 2011.
"When nature rebels: international migration, climate change, and inequality,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 24(2), pages 569-600, April.
- Luca Marchiori & Ingmar Schumacher, 2009. "When nature rebels: international migration, climate change and inequality," Working Papers hal-00358759, HAL.
- Brock, William & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2008.
"Pattern Formation, Spatial Externalities and Regulation in Coupled Economic-Ecological Systems,"
9105, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Brock, William & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2010. "Pattern formation, spatial externalities and regulation in coupled economic-ecological systems," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 149-164, March.
- Klaus Desmet & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2007.
"Spatial Growth and Industry Age,"
NBER Working Papers
13302, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & CAMACHO, Carmen & ZOU, Benteng, 2006.
"Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: the spatial Ramsey model,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2006072, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Camacho, Carmen & Zou, Benteng, 2009. "Bridging The Gap Between Growth Theory And The New Economic Geography: The Spatial Ramsey Model," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 20-45, February.
- Raouf Boucekkine & C. Camacho & B. Zou, 2007. "Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: The spatial Ramsey model," Working Papers 2007_27, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Carmen Camacho & Benteng Zou, 2006. "Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: The spatial Ramsey model," DEGIT Conference Papers c011_039, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & Carmen, CAMACHO & Benteng, ZOU, 2006. "Bridging the Gap between Growth Theory and the New Economic Geography : The Spatial Ramsey Model," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006038, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & CAMACHO, Carmen & ZOU, Benteng, . "Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: The spatial Ramsey model," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2090, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Weitzman, Martin L., 2009.
"On Modeling and Interpreting the Economics of Catastrophic Climate Change,"
3693423, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 2009. "On Modeling and Interpreting the Economics of Catastrophic Climate Change," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Stéphane Cara & Martin Houzé & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2005.
"Methane and Nitrous Oxide Emissions from Agriculture in the EU: A Spatial Assessment of Sources and Abatement Costs,"
Environmental & Resource Economics,
European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 32(4), pages 551-583, December.
- Stephane De Cara & Martin HouzÃ© & Pierre-Alain Jayet, 2005. "Methane and nitrous oxide emissions from agriculture in the EU : a spatial assessment of sources and abatement costs," Working Papers 156815, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- Paulo Brito, 2004. "The Dynamics of Growth and Distribution in a Spatially Heterogeneous World," Working Papers Department of Economics 2004/14, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2010. "The spatial dimension in environmental and resource economics," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 15(06), pages 747-758, December.
- Andrew J. Plantinga, 1996. "The Effect of Agricultural Policies on Land Use and Environmental Quality," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 1082-1091.
- Brock, William & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2008.
"General Pattern Formation in Recursive Dynamical Systems Models in Economics,"
12305, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas & William Brock, 2009. "General Pattern Formation in Recursive Dynamical Systems Models in Economics," Working Papers 2009.49, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Camacho, Carmen & Zou, Benteng & Briani, Maya, 2008.
"On the dynamics of capital accumulation across space,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 186(2), pages 451-465, April.
- Carmen Camacho & Benteng Zou & Maya Briani, 2005. "On the dynamics of capital accumulation across space," Working Papers 376, Bielefeld University, Center for Mathematical Economics.
- Brock, William & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2008. "Diffusion-induced instability and pattern formation in infinite horizon recursive optimal control," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(9), pages 2745-2787, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:mse:cesdoc:12012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.