Spatial dynamics and convergence: The spatial AK model
We study the optimal dynamics of an AK economy where population is uniformly distributed along the unit circle. Locations only differ in initial capital endowments. Spatio-temporal capital dynamics are described by a parabolic partial differential equation. The application of the maximum principle leads to necessary but non-sufficient first-order conditions. Thanks to the linearity of the production technology and the special spatial setting considered, the value-fonction of the problem is found explicitly, and the (unique) optimal control is identified in feedback form. Despite constant returns to capital, we prove that the spatio-temporal dynamics, induced by the willingness of the planner to give the same (detrended) consumption over space and time, lead to convergence in the level of capital across locations in the long-run.
|Date of creation:||May 2013|
|Publication status:||Published in Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 2013.47 - ISSN : 1955-611X. 2013|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00827641|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chatterjee, Satyajit, 1994. "Transitional dynamics and the distribution of wealth in a neoclassical growth model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 97-119, May.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Carmen Camacho & Benteng Zou, 2006.
"Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: The spatial Ramsey model,"
DEGIT Conference Papers
c011_039, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- Boucekkine, Raouf & Camacho, Carmen & Zou, Benteng, 2009. "Bridging The Gap Between Growth Theory And The New Economic Geography: The Spatial Ramsey Model," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(01), pages 20-45, February.
- Raouf, BOUCEKKINE & Carmen, CAMACHO & Benteng, ZOU, 2006. "Bridging the Gap between Growth Theory and the New Economic Geography : The Spatial Ramsey Model," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006038, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Raouf Boucekkine & Carmen Camacho & Zou Benteng, 2009. "Bridging the Gap between Growth Theory and the New Economic Geography: the Spatial Ramsey Model," Post-Print hal-00683809, HAL.
- Raouf Boucekkine & C. Camacho & B. Zou, 2007. "Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: The spatial Ramsey model," Working Papers 2007_27, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & CAMACHO, Carmen & ZOU, Benteng, "undated". "Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: The spatial Ramsey model," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2090, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BOUCEKKINE, Raouf & CAMACHO, Carmen & ZOU, Benteng, 2006. "Bridging the gap between growth theory and the new economic geography: the spatial Ramsey model," CORE Discussion Papers 2006072, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Klaus Desmet & Esteban Rossi-Hansberg, 2009.
"On Spatial dynamics,"
2009-16, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Brock, William & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2008.
"General Pattern Formation in Recursive Dynamical Systems Models in Economics,"
12305, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Anastasios Xepapadeas & William Brock, 2009. "General Pattern Formation in Recursive Dynamical Systems Models in Economics," Working Papers 2009.49, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Silvia Faggian, 2008. "Maximum Principle for Boundary Control Problems Arising in Optimal Investment with Vintage Capital," Working Papers 181, Department of Applied Mathematics, Università Ca' Foscari Venezia.
- Paulo Brito, 2004. "The Dynamics of Growth and Distribution in a Spatially Heterogeneous World," Working Papers Department of Economics 2004/14, ISEG - School of Economics and Management, Department of Economics, University of Lisbon.
- Fabbri, Giorgio & Gozzi, Fausto, 2008. "Solving optimal growth models with vintage capital: The dynamic programming approach," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 143(1), pages 331-373, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cesptp:halshs-00827641. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.