Competing through service innovation: The role of bricolage and entrepreneurship in project-oriented firms
The criticality of service innovation in building and sustaining competitive advantage is gaining increasing recognition in the marketplace. Using empirical data from US and Australian project-oriented firms, the study uses a multi-staged multi-method research program to demonstrate how entrepreneurial service firms strategically combine resources at hand (bricolage) to innovate and stay ahead of rivals. The research shows that service entrepreneurship (SE) and bricolage influence two forms of service innovation (interactive and supportive), which in turn is associated with sustained competitive advantage (SCA). The results suggest that SE and bricolage indirectly relate to SCA through service innovation. The findings offer novel insights into how project-oriented service firms engage in innovation. In short, the findings encourage the “making do by combining resources at hand” as higher levels of entrepreneurial bricolage are associated with higher levels of interactive and supportive innovation enabling SCA, suggesting a new model.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Danny Miller, 1983. "The Correlates of Entrepreneurship in Three Types of Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 29(7), pages 770-791, July.
- Atuahene-Gima, Kwaku, 1996. "Market orientation and innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 93-103, February.
- Frambach, Ruud T. & Barkema, Harry G. & Nooteboom, Bart & Wedel, Michel, 1998. "Adoption of a service innovation in the business market: An empirical test of supply-side variables," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 161-174, February.
- Baker, Ted, 2007. "Resources in play: Bricolage in the Toy Store(y)," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 694-711, September.
- Blazevic, Vera & Lievens, Annouk, 2004. "Learning during the new financial service innovation process: Antecedents and performance effects," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(4), pages 374-391, April.
- Teck H. Ho & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 2004. "Setting Customer Expectation in Service Delivery: An Integrated Marketing-Operations Perspective," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(4), pages 479-488, April.
- Bearden, William O & Hardesty, David M & Rose, Randall L, 2001. " Consumer Self-Confidence: Refinements in Conceptualization and Measurement," Journal of Consumer Research, Oxford University Press, vol. 28(1), pages 121-34, June.
- Bitner, Mary Jo & Brown, Stephen W., 2008. "The service imperative," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 39-46.
- Fariborz Damanpour & Richard M. Walker & Claudia N. Avellaneda, 2009. "Combinative Effects of Innovation Types and Organizational Performance: A Longitudinal Study of Service Organizations," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 650-675, 06.
- Garud, Raghu & Karnoe, Peter, 2003. "Bricolage versus breakthrough: distributed and embedded agency in technology entrepreneurship," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 277-300, February.
- Miozzo, Marcela & Grimshaw, Damian, 2005. "Modularity and innovation in knowledge-intensive business services: IT outsourcing in Germany and the UK," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1419-1439, November.
- Shaker A. Zahra & Harry J. Sapienza & Per Davidsson, 2006. "Entrepreneurship and Dynamic Capabilities: A Review, Model and Research Agenda," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(4), pages 917-955, 06.
- Blindenbach-Driessen, Floortje & van den Ende, Jan, 2006. "Innovation in project-based firms: The context dependency of success factors," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 545-561, May.
- Matsuo, Makoto, 2006. "Customer orientation, conflict, and innovativeness in Japanese sales departments," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 242-250, February.
- Faïz Gallouj & Paul Windrum, 2009.
"Services and Services Innovation,"
- Hipp, Christiane & Grupp, Hariolf, 2005. "Innovation in the service sector: The demand for service-specific innovation measurement concepts and typologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 517-535, May.
- Berry, Leonard L. & Zeithaml, Valarie A. & Parasuraman, A., 1985. "Quality counts in services, too," Business Horizons, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 44-52.
- Michael R Mullen, 1995. "Diagnosing Measurement Equivalence in Cross-National Research," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 573-596, September.
- Haugland, Sven A. & Myrtveit, Ingunn & Nygaard, Arne, 2007. "Market orientation and performance in the service industry: A data envelopment analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 60(11), pages 1191-1197, November.
- Lumpkin, G. T. & Dess, Gregory G., 2001. "Linking two dimensions of entrepreneurial orientation to firm performance: The moderating role of environment and industry life cycle," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 429-451, September.
- Stoneman, P & Ireland, N J, 1983. "The Role of Supply Factors in the Diffusion of New Process Technology," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(369a), pages 66-78, Supplemen.
- McQuitty, Shaun, 2004. "Statistical power and structural equation models in business research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 175-183, February.
- Gebauer, Heiko & Gustafsson, Anders & Witell, Lars, 2011. "Competitive advantage through service differentiation by manufacturing companies," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 64(12), pages 1270-1280.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:jbrese:v:66:y:2013:i:8:p:1085-1097. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.