To what extent are knowledge-intensive business services contributing to manufacturing? A subsystem analysis
The rise of knowledge-intensive business services (KIBS) may be considered as one of the decisive trends of economic evolution of industrialised countries in recent decades. This paper uses the concept of vertical integrated sectors and the subsystem approach to input-output matrix analysis to study the vertical integration of knowledge-based business services into manufacturing sectors. To date, companies increasingly rely on outside innovation for new products and processes and have become more active in licensing and selling results of their innovation to third parties. At the same time, they may rely on the marketing and financial consulting offered by third parties. As a consequence, considering manufacturing and KIBS as vertically inter-related sectors, the hypothesis of a virtuous circle can be expressed in the following way: the higher the degree of integration between KIBS and manufacturing sectors along what we could define as a ‘knowledge-based value chain’, the easier the knowledge diffusion and the competitiveness of the economic system as a whole. The study covers Germany, France, Italy, and the United Kingdom over the period 1995-2005. Results decisively support both the existence of structural differences among the countries considered, and a significant heterogeneity to the extent to which manufacturing outsources to knowledge-intensive business services.
|Date of creation:||May 2012|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Inca Garcilaso, s/n 41092 Seville|
Phone: +34 954 48 8318
Fax: +34 954 48 8300
Web page: https://ec.europa.eu/jrc/en
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Faïz Gallouj & Maria Savona, 2009.
"Innovation in services: a review of the debate and a research agenda,"
- Faïz Gallouj & Maria Savona, 2009. "Innovation in services: a review of the debate and a research agenda," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 19(2), pages 149-172, April.
- Faïz Gallouj & Maria Savona, 2009. "Innovation in services: A review of the debate and a research agenda," Working Papers hal-01111796, HAL.
- Faïz Gallouj, 2009. "Innovation in services: a review of the debate and a research agenda," Post-Print halshs-01113912, HAL.
- Montresor Sandro & Vittucci Marzetti Giuseppe, 2007. "Outsourcing and Structural Change: What Can Input-Output Analysis Say About It?," Economia politica, Società editrice il Mulino, issue 1, pages 43-78.
- Hipp, Christiane & Grupp, Hariolf, 2005. "Innovation in the service sector: The demand for service-specific innovation measurement concepts and typologies," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 517-535, May.
- Consoli, Davide & Elche-Hortelano, Dioni, 2010. "Variety in the knowledge base of Knowledge Intensive Business Services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(10), pages 1303-1310, December.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008.
"Technology clubs, technology gaps and growth trajectories,"
27595, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Castellacci, Fulvio, 2008. "Technology clubs, technology gaps and growth trajectories," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 301-314, December.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2005.
"Models of knowledge and systems of governance,"
Journal of Institutional Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 1(01), pages 51-73, June.
- Antonelli, Cristiano, 2005. "Models Of Knowledge And Systems Of Governance," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200501, University of Turin.
- Pasinetti,Luigi, 1993. "Structural Economic Dynamics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521432825, October.
- Rinaldo Evangelista, 2000. "Sectoral Patterns Of Technological Change In Services," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(3), pages 183-222.
- Gallouj, Faiz & Weinstein, Olivier, 1997.
"Innovation in services,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 537-556, December.
- Sandro Montresor & Giuseppe Vittucci Marzetti, 2010. "Outsourcing and structural change. Application to a set of OECD countries," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(6), pages 731-752.
- Riordan, Michael H. & Williamson, Oliver E., 1985. "Asset specificity and economic organization," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 365-378, December.
- Franco Momigliano & Domenico Siniscalco, 1982. "Note in tema di terziarizzazione e deindustrializzazione," Moneta e Credito, Economia civile, vol. 35(138), pages 143-182.
- Muller, Emmanuel & Zenker, Andrea, 2001. "Business services as actors of knowledge transformation: the role of KIBS in regional and national innovation systems," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(9), pages 1501-1516, December.
- Daria Ciriaci & Daniela Palma, 2008. "The role of knowledge-based supply specialisation for competitiveness: A spatial econometric approach," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(3), pages 453-475, 08.
- Simone Strambach, 2010. "Knowledge-Intensive Business Services (KIBS)," Chapters, in: Platforms of Innovation, chapter 7 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Schettkat, Ronald & Yocarini, Lara, 2006. "The shift to services employment: A review of the literature," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 127-147, June.
- McCarthy, Ian & Anagnostou, Angela, 2004. "The impact of outsourcing on the transaction costs and boundaries of manufacturing," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 88(1), pages 61-71, March.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Spielkamp, Alfred, 2000.
"Business services in Germany: bridges for innovation,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
00-52, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dirk Czarnitzki & Alfred Spielkamp, 2003. "Business services in Germany: bridges for innovation," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(2), pages 1-30, March.
- Guerrieri, Paolo & Meliciani, Valentina, 2005. "Technology and international competitiveness: The interdependence between manufacturing and producer services," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 489-502, December.
- Drejer, Ina, 2004. "Identifying innovation in surveys of services: a Schumpeterian perspective," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 551-562, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ipt:iptwpa:jrc71097. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Publication Officer)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.