Innovation in services
The purpose of this article is to lay the foundations of a theory that can be used to interpret innovation processes in the service sector. The hypothesis underpinning this article is based on Lancaster's definition of the product (in both manufacturing and services) as a set of service characteristics. The article follows the example of those who have sought to apply Lancaster's work to technological phenomena. Various modes of innovation in the service sectors are highlighted and illustrated.
|Date of creation:||1997|
|Publication status:||Published in Research Policy, Elsevier, 1997, 26 (4-5), pp.537-556|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-01133098|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Camal Gallouj & FaÏz Gallouj, 1996. "L'innovation dans les services," Post-Print hal-01111983, HAL.
- Barras, Richard, 1986. "Towards a theory of innovation in services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 161-173, August.
- Barras, Richard, 1993. "Interactive innovation in financial and business services: The vanguard of the service revolution," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 101-102, April.
- Hill, T P, 1977. "On Goods and Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 315-338, December.
- Faïz Gallouj, 1991. "Les formes de l'innovation dans les services de conseil," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 57(1), pages 25-45.
- K. K. Lancaster, 2010. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Levine's Working Paper Archive 1385, David K. Levine.
- Greenbaum, Stuart I & Haywood, C F, 1971. "Secular Change in the Financial Services Industry," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 3(2), pages 571-589, May.
- Bessant, John & Rush, Howard, 1995. "Building bridges for innovation: the role of consultants in technology transfer," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 97-114, January.
- Saviotti, P. P. & Metcalfe, J. S., 1984. "A theoretical approach to the construction of technological output indicators," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 141-151, June.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1993.
"Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 102-103, April.
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1982. "Technological paradigms and technological trajectories : A suggested interpretation of the determinants and directions of technical change," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 147-162, June.
- Kelvin J. Lancaster, 1966. "A New Approach to Consumer Theory," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 74, pages 132-132.
- Faïz Gallouj, 1993. "Cycles économiques et innovation de services : quelques interrogations à la lumière de la pensée schumpétérienne," Post-Print halshs-01114012, HAL.
- Barras, Richard, 1990. "Interactive innovation in financial and business services: The vanguard of the service revolution," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(3), pages 215-237, June.
- Sundbo, Jon, 1994. "Modulization of service production and a thesis of convergence between service and manufacturing organizations," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 245-266, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-01133098. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.