Mapping innovation dynamics in hospitals
This article draws on a notion of the hospital as a complex service provider and healthcare system hub in order to examine the question of innovation in hospitals. It puts forward a relatively simple framework for analysing hospital output, in which the medical function is incorporated into a complex system of other constituent services that make use of different types of technologies. This analytical framework is used to reveal the multiple sources of innovation and the main organising principles driving innovation within hospitals.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Publication status:||Published in Research Policy, Elsevier, 2005, 34, pp.817-835|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-01133749|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Camal Gallouj & FaÏz Gallouj, 1996. "L'innovation dans les services," Post-Print hal-01111983, HAL.
- Gallouj, Faiz & Weinstein, Olivier, 1997. "Innovation in services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 537-556, December.
- Faridah Djellal & Faïz Gallouj, 2012. "L'innovation dans les services publics," Revue française d'économie, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(2), pages 97-142.
- Cyrille Piatecki & Philippe Ulmann, 1995. "La micro-économie de la santé : Bilan et perspectives," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 34(3), pages 47-69.
- Gadrey, Jean, 2000. "The Characterization of Goods and Services: An Alternative Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(3), pages 369-387, September.
- Hill, T P, 1977. "On Goods and Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 315-338, December.
- Faridah Djellal & Camal Gallouj & FaÏz Gallouj & Karim Gallouj, 2004. "L’hôpital innovateur : de l'innovation médicale à l'innovation de service," Post-Print hal-01111760, HAL.
- Faïz Gallouj, 2002.
"Innovation in the service economy: the new wealth of nations,"
- FaÏz Gallouj, 2002. "Innovation in the Service Economy: the New Wealth of Nations," Post-Print hal-01111977, HAL.
- Sophie Béjean & Maryse Gadreau, 1997. "Concept de réseau et analyse des mutations récentes du système de santé," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 81(1), pages 77-97.
- Ahern, Melissa, 1993. "The softness of medical production and implications for specifying hospital outputs," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 281-294, April.
- Newhouse, Joseph P, 1970. "Toward a Theory of Nonprofit Institutions: An Economic Model of a Hospital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 64-74, March.
- Fuchs, Victor R, 1996. "Economics, Values, and Health Care Reform," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Jerome-D'Emilia, Bonnie & Begun, James W., 2005. "Diffusion of breast conserving surgery in medical communities," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 143-151, January.
- Groenewegen, Peter P. & Hutten, Jack B. F., 1989. "Improving primary health care through technological innovation," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 199-211, December.
- Joseph P. Newhouse, 1992. "Medical Care Costs: How Much Welfare Loss?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 3-21, Summer.
- FaÏz Gallouj, 1998.
"Les trajectoires de l’innovation dans les services : vers un enrichissement des taxonomies évolutionnistes,"
- FaÏz Gallouj, 1999. "Les trajectoires de l’innovation dans les services : vers un enrichissement des taxonomies évolutionnistes," Post-Print halshs-01114090, HAL.
- Bentur, Netta, 2001. "Hospital at home: what is its place in the health system?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 71-79, January.
- Faridah Djellal, 2002. "Le secteur du nettoyage face aux nouvelles technologies," Post-Print halshs-00006722, HAL.
- Faïz Gallouj, 1997. "Towards a neo-Schumpeterian theory of innovation in services?," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(6), pages 405-420, December.
- Peter Hill, 1999. "Tangibles, intangibles and services: a new taxonomy for the classification of output," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 426-446, April.
- FaÏz Gallouj, 1994. "Economie de l'innovation dans les services," Post-Print hal-01111989, HAL.
- Perry, Seymour, 1988. "Technology assessment in health care: the U.S. perspective," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 317-324, June.
- Weisbrod, Burton A, 1991. "The Health Care Quadrilemma: An Essay on Technological Change, Insurance, Quality of Care, and Cost Containment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 523-552, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-01133749. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.