Mapping innovation dynamics in hospitals
This article draws on a notion of the hospital as a complex service provider and healthcare system hub in order to examine the question of innovation in hospitals. It puts forward a relatively simple framework for analysing hospital output, in which the medical function is incorporated into a complex system of other constituent services that make use of different types of technologies. This analytical framework is used to reveal the multiple sources of innovation and the main organising principles driving innovation within hospitals.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Peter Hill, 1999. "Tangibles, intangibles and services: a new taxonomy for the classification of output," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(2), pages 426-446, April.
- Gallouj, Faiz & Weinstein, Olivier, 1997.
"Innovation in services,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 537-556, December.
- Faïz Gallouj, 1998.
"Les trajectoires de l’innovation dans les services : vers un enrichissement des taxonomies évolutionnistes,"
- Faïz Gallouj, 1999. "Les trajectoires de l’innovation dans les services : vers un enrichissement des taxonomies évolutionnistes," Post-Print halshs-01114090, HAL.
- Faridah Djellal, 2002. "Le secteur du nettoyage face aux nouvelles technologies," Post-Print halshs-00006722, HAL.
- Fuchs, Victor R, 1996. "Economics, Values, and Health Care Reform," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(1), pages 1-24, March.
- Hill, T P, 1977. "On Goods and Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 315-338, December.
- Bentur, Netta, 2001. "Hospital at home: what is its place in the health system?," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 55(1), pages 71-79, January.
- Faïz Gallouj, 2002.
"Innovation in the Service Economy: the New Wealth of Nations,"
- Faïz Gallouj, 2002. "Innovation in the service economy: the new wealth of nations," Post-Print halshs-00198409, HAL.
- Newhouse, Joseph P, 1970. "Toward a Theory of Nonprofit Institutions: An Economic Model of a Hospital," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 64-74, March.
- Camal Gallouj & Faïz Gallouj, 1996. "L'innovation dans les services," Post-Print hal-01111983, HAL.
- Gadrey, Jean, 2000. "The Characterization of Goods and Services: An Alternative Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(3), pages 369-387, September.
- Cyrille Piatecki & Philippe Ulmann, 1995. "La micro-économie de la santé : Bilan et perspectives," Revue d'Économie Financière, Programme National Persée, vol. 34(3), pages 47-69.
- Faïz Gallouj, 1997. "Towards a neo-Schumpeterian theory of innovation in services?," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(6), pages 405-420, December.
- Perry, Seymour, 1988. "Technology assessment in health care: the U.S. perspective," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 317-324, June.
- Ahern, Melissa, 1993. "The softness of medical production and implications for specifying hospital outputs," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 281-294, April.
- Joseph P. Newhouse, 1992. "Medical Care Costs: How Much Welfare Loss?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(3), pages 3-21, Summer.
- Jerome-D'Emilia, Bonnie & Begun, James W., 2005. "Diffusion of breast conserving surgery in medical communities," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 60(1), pages 143-151, January.
- Sophie Béjean & Maryse Gadreau, 1997. "Concept de réseau et analyse des mutations récentes du système de santé," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 81(1), pages 77-97.
- Weisbrod, Burton A, 1991. "The Health Care Quadrilemma: An Essay on Technological Change, Insurance, Quality of Care, and Cost Containment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 523-552, June.
- Groenewegen, Peter P. & Hutten, Jack B. F., 1989. "Improving primary health care through technological innovation," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 199-211, December.
- Faridah Djellal & Camal Gallouj & Faïz Gallouj & Karim Gallouj, 2004. "L’hôpital innovateur : de l'innovation médicale à l'innovation de service," Post-Print hal-01111760, HAL.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:34:y:2005:i:6:p:817-835. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.