Farmersâ€™ Participation in Agritourism: Does It Affect the Bottom Line?
Agritourism is an alternative source of farm income. We examine farmersâ€™ participation in agritourism activities to assess the impact of participation on farm household income and return to assets using a large farm-level survey. The results reveal that older, educated, and female operators are more likely to participate in agritourism. However, government subsidies and the population of the county are negatively correlated with agritourism. Of the types of farm operations examined, small-scale farms that involved agritourism generated the greatest household incomes and returns to assets. For operators of small farms, agritourism can boost the economic well-being of farm households.
Volume (Year): 42 (2013)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.narea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra Todd, 1998. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(2), pages 261-294.
- Deborah Che & Ann Veeck & Gregory Veeck, 2005. "Sustaining production and strengthening the agritourism product: Linkages among Michigan agritourism destinations," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 22(2), pages 225-234, 06.
- Eisner, Robert, 1989. "Divergences of Measurement and Theory and Some Implications for Economic Policy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Gloy, Brent A. & Hyde, Jeffrey & LaDue, Eddy L., 2002. "Dairy Farm Management and Long-Term Farm Financial Performance," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 31(2), October.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra, 2004. "Farming Efficiency and the Determinants of Multiple Job Holding by Farm Operators," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(3), pages 722-729.
- Michel Blanc & Eric Cahuzac & Bernard Elyakime & Gabriel Tahar, 2008. "Demand for on-farm permanent hired labour on family holdings," European Review of Agricultural Economics, Foundation for the European Review of Agricultural Economics, vol. 35(4), pages 493-518, December.
- Uematsu, Hiroki & Mishra, Ashok K., 2012. "Organic farmers or conventional farmers: Where's the money?," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 78(C), pages 55-62.
- Guido W. Imbens, 2004.
"Nonparametric Estimation of Average Treatment Effects Under Exogeneity: A Review,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 4-29, February.
- Guido W. Imbens, 2003. "Nonparametric Estimation of Average Treatment Effects under Exogeneity: A Review," NBER Technical Working Papers 0294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sascha O. Becker & Andrea Ichino, 2002. "Estimation of average treatment effects based on propensity scores," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(4), pages 358-377, November.
- Haden, Kimberly L. & Johnson, Larry A., 1989. "Factors Which Contribute To The Financial Performance Of Selected Tennessee Dairies," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 21(01), July.
- Ohe, Yasuo, 2002. "Evaluating Household Leisure Behaviour of Rural Tourism in Japan," 2002 International Congress, August 28-31, 2002, Zaragoza, Spain 24932, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Brown, Dennis M. & Reeder, Richard J., 2007. "Farm-Based Recreation: A Statistical Profile," Economic Research Report 56445, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Sara Carter, 1998. "Portfolio entrepreneurship in the farm sector: indigenous growth in rural areas?," Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 17-32, January.
- Alberto Abadie & David Drukker & Jane Leber Herr & Guido W. Imbens, 2004. "Implementing matching estimators for average treatment effects in Stata," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 4(3), pages 290-311, September.
- Barry K. Goodwin & Ashok K. Mishra & Fran�ois N. Ortalo-Magné, 2003. "What's Wrong with Our Models of Agricultural Land Values?," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(3), pages 744-752.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:arerjl:162297. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.