Big Data and Unemployment Analysis
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Amelie Constant & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2008. "Im Angesicht der Krise: US-Präsidentschaftswahlen in transnationaler Sicht," DIW Wochenbericht, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research, vol. 75(44), pages 688-701.
- Pavlicek, Jaroslav & Kristoufek, Ladislav, 2015. "Nowcasting unemployment rates with Google searches: Evidence from the Visegrad Group countries," FinMaP-Working Papers 34, Collaborative EU Project FinMaP - Financial Distortions and Macroeconomic Performance: Expectations, Constraints and Interaction of Agents.
- Fantazziini, Dean, 2014. "Nowcasting and Forecasting the Monthly Food Stamps Data in the US using Online Search Data," MPRA Paper 59696, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Fondeur, Y. & Karamé, F., 2013.
"Can Google data help predict French youth unemployment?,"
Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 117-125.
- Frédéric Karamé & Yannick Fondeur, 2012. "Can Google Data Help Predict French Youth Unemployment?," Documents de recherche 12-03, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Andriana Bellou, 2015.
"The impact of Internet diffusion on marriage rates: evidence from the broadband market,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 28(2), pages 265-297, April.
- Bellou, Andriana, 2013. "The Impact of Internet Diffusion on Marriage Rates: Evidence from the Broadband Market," IZA Discussion Papers 7316, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nikolaos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009.
"Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting,"
Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik),
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 55(2), pages 107-120.
- Nikos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009. "Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting," Research Notes of the German Council for Social and Economic Data 41, German Council for Social and Economic Data (RatSWD).
- Askitas, Nikos & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2009. "Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting," IZA Discussion Papers 4201, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Nikos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009. "Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 899, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Zhi Su, 2014. "Chinese Online Unemployment-Related Searches and Macroeconomic Indicators," Frontiers of Economics in China, Higher Education Press, vol. 9(4), pages 573-605, December.
- Alessia Naccarato & Andrea Pierini & Stefano Falorsi, 2015. "Using Google Trend Data To Predict The Italian Unemployment Rate," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0203, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Nikolaos Askitas, 2015. "Google search activity data and breaking trends," IZA World of Labor, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA), pages 206-206, November.
- Askitas, Nikos & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2011. "Detecting Mortgage Delinquencies," IZA Discussion Papers 5895, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Janna Besamusca & Kea Tijdens, 2015. "Comparing collective bargaining agreements for developing countries," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 86-102, April.
- Concha Artola & Fernando Pinto & Pablo de Pedraza García, 2015. "Can internet searches forecast tourism inflows?," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 103-116, April.
- Hyunyoung Choi & Hal Varian, 2012. "Predicting the Present with Google Trends," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 88(s1), pages 2-9, June.
- Gunter J. Hitsch & Ali Hortaçsu & Dan Ariely, 2010. "Matching and Sorting in Online Dating," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 100(1), pages 130-163, March.
- Simeon Vosen & Torsten Schmidt, 2011.
"Forecasting private consumption: survey‐based indicators vs. Google trends,"
Journal of Forecasting,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(6), pages 565-578, September.
- Schmidt, Torsten & Vosen, Simeon, 2009. "Forecasting Private Consumption: Survey-based Indicators vs. Google Trends," Ruhr Economic Papers 155, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Emilio Zagheni & Ingmar Weber, 2015. "Demographic research with non-representative internet data," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 13-25, April.
- Peter Kuhn & Hani Mansour, 2014. "Is Internet Job Search Still Ineffective?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 124(581), pages 1213-1233, December.
- Tao Chen & Erin Pik Ki So & Liang Wu & Isabel Kit Ming Yan, 2015. "The 2007–2008 U.S. Recession: What Did The Real-Time Google Trends Data Tell The United States?," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 33(2), pages 395-403, April.
- Nikolaos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2015. "Health and well-being in the great recession," International Journal of Manpower, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 36(1), pages 26-47, April.
- Nuno Barreira & Pedro Godinho & Paulo Melo, 2013. "Nowcasting unemployment rate and new car sales in south-western Europe with Google Trends," Netnomics, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 129-165, November.
- Benjamin Edelman, 2012. "Using Internet Data for Economic Research," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 189-206, Spring.
- Vicente, María Rosalía & López-Menéndez, Ana J. & Pérez, Rigoberto, 2015. "Forecasting unemployment with internet search data: Does it help to improve predictions when job destruction is skyrocketing?," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 132-139.
- Peter Kuhn, 2014. "The internet as a labor market matchmaker," IZA World of Labor, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA), pages 1-18, May.
- Meltem Gulenay Chadwick & Gonul Sengul, 2015. "Nowcasting the Unemployment Rate in Turkey : Let's ask Google," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 15(3), pages 15-40.
- McLaren, Nick & Shanbhogue, Rachana, 2011. "Using internet search data as economic indicators," Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, Bank of England, vol. 51(2), pages 134-140.
- repec:iza:izawol:journl:y:2014:p:18 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nikolaos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2013. "Nowcasting Business Cycles Using Toll Data," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 32(4), pages 299-306, July.
- Francesco, D'Amuri, 2009. "Predicting unemployment in short samples with internet job search query data," MPRA Paper 18403, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Tefft, Nathan, 2011. "Insights on unemployment, unemployment insurance, and mental health," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 258-264, March.
Blog mentionsAs found by EconAcademics.org, the blog aggregator for Economics research:
More about this item
Keywordsbig data; unemployment; internet; Google; internet penetration rate;
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models; Diffusion Processes
- C82 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Data Collection and Data Estimation Methodology; Computer Programs - - - Methodology for Collecting, Estimating, and Organizing Macroeconomic Data; Data Access
- E17 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- E24 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Employment; Unemployment; Wages; Intergenerational Income Distribution; Aggregate Human Capital; Aggregate Labor Productivity
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2017-07-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BIG-2017-07-02 (Big Data)
- NEP-LTV-2017-07-02 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
- NEP-MAC-2017-07-02 (Macroeconomics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:glodps:81. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/glaboea.html .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.