Predicting unemployment in short samples with internet job search query data
This article tests the power of a novel indicator based on job search related web queries in predicting quarterly unemployment rates in short samples. Augmenting standard time series specifications with this indicator definitely improves out-of-sample forecasting performance at nearly all in-sample interval lengths and forecast horizons, both when compared with models estimated on the same or on a much longer time series interval.
|Date of creation:||30 Oct 2009|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nikos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009.
"Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting,"
Research Notes of the German Council for Social and Economic Data
41, German Council for Social and Economic Data (RatSWD).
- Nikolaos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009. "Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting," Applied Economics Quarterly (formerly: Konjunkturpolitik), Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 55(2), pages 107-120.
- Nikos Askitas & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2009. "Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 899, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Askitas, Nikos & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 2009. "Google Econometrics and Unemployment Forecasting," IZA Discussion Papers 4201, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Betsey Stevenson, 2008.
"The Internet and Job Search,"
NBER Working Papers
13886, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- D'Amuri, Francesco & Marcucci, Juri, 2009.
"'Google it!' Forecasting the US unemployment rate with a Google job search index,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2009-32, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- D'Amuri, Francesco/FD & Marcucci, Juri/JM, 2009. ""Google it!" Forecasting the US unemployment rate with a Google job search index," MPRA Paper 18248, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Francesco D’Amuri & Juri Marcucci, 2010. "“Google it!”Forecasting the US Unemployment Rate with a Google Job Search index," Working Papers 2010.31, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Abberger, Klaus, 2007.
"Qualitative business surveys and the assessment of employment -- A case study for Germany,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 249-258.
- Klaus Abberger, 2005. "Qualitative Business Surveys and theAssessment of Employment A Case Study for Germany," Ifo Working Paper Series Ifo Working Paper No. 11, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich.
- Proietti, Tommaso, 2003. "Forecasting the US unemployment rate," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 451-476, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:18403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.