An economic analysis of dismissal legislation: Determinants of severance pay in West Germany
Severance pay is a vital part of employment protection legislation (EPL). We investigate the incidence and level of severance pay for dismissed employees. Our theoretical model predicts that not only the law and its interpretation by labour courts but also the costs of a suit have an impact. Using West German panel data for 1991-2006, we find that the employees' costs resulting from a suit and the legal determinants of such transfers affect the incidence of severance payments. In contrast, their level only varies with legal regulations. Our results imply that the strictness of EPL in Germany varies with extra-legal factors like employees' financial constraints.
|Date of creation:||2009|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Platz der Göttinger Sieben 3, 37073 Göttingen|
Web page: http://www.cege.wiso.uni-goettingen.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bauer, Thomas & Bender, Stefan & Bonin, Holger, 2004.
"Dismissal Protection and Worker Flows in Small Establishments,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4379, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas K. Bauer & Stefan Bender & Holger Bonin, 2007. "Dismissal Protection and Worker Flows in Small Establishments," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 74(296), pages 804-821, November.
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan & Bonin, Holger, 2004. "Dismissal protection and worker flows in small establishments," IAB Discussion Paper 200401, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Bauer, Thomas K. & Bender, Stefan & Bonin, Holger, 2004. "Dismissal Protection and Worker Flows in Small Establishments," IZA Discussion Papers 1105, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ichino, Andrea & Polo, Michele & Rettore, Enrico, 2003.
"Are judges biased by labor market conditions?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 47(5), pages 913-944, October.
- Christine Jolls, 2004. "The Role and Functioning of Public-Interest Legal Organizations in the Enforcement of the Employment Laws," NBER Chapters, in: Emerging Labor Market Institutions for the Twenty-First Century, pages 141-176 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jones, Andrew M., 2000.
Handbook of Health Economics,
in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 6, pages 265-344
- Malo, M.A aand Joaquin Pérez., 2002.
"Individual dismissals in Europe and the United States: A model on the influence of the legal framework on firing costs,"
Doctorado en Economía- documentos de trabajo
9/02, Programa de doctorado en Economía. Universidad de Alcalá..
- Miguel Malo & Joaquín Pérez, 2003. "Individual Dismissals in Europe and the United States: A Model on the Influence of the Legal Framework on Firing Costs," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 47-63, January.
- Huang, Chun-chieh & Chang, Juin-jen & Lai, Ching-chong, 2009. "Employment effect of dismissal pay in the presence of judicial mistakes," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 38-45, March.
- Eger, Thomas, 2003. "Opportunistic termination of employment contracts and legal protection against dismissal in Germany and the USA," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 381-403, December.
- Christine Jolls, 2007. "Employment Law and the Labor Market," NBER Working Papers 13230, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ioana Marinescu, 2011.
"Are Judges Sensitive to Economic Conditions? Evidence from Uk Employment Tribunals,"
Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 64(4), pages 673-698, July.
- Ioana Marinescu, 2008. "Are Judges Sensitive to Economic Conditions? Evidence from UK Employment Tribunals," Working Papers 0802, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Willard G. Manning & Anirban Basu & John Mullahy, 2003.
"Generalized Modeling Approaches to Risk Adjustment of Skewed Outcomes Data,"
0313, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Manning, Willard G. & Basu, Anirban & Mullahy, John, 2005. "Generalized modeling approaches to risk adjustment of skewed outcomes data," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 465-488, May.
- Willard G. Manning & Anirban Basu & John Mullahy, 2003. "Generalized Modeling Approaches to Risk Adjustment of Skewed Outcomes Data," NBER Technical Working Papers 0293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- World Bank & International Finance Corporation, 2006. "Doing Business in 2006 : Creating Jobs," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 7421.
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2009.
"Multiple equilibria in a firing game with impartial justice,"
Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 262-271, June.
- Damien Besancenot & Radu Vranceanu, 2008. "Multiple equilibria in a firing game with impartial justice," CEPN Working Papers halshs-00203176, HAL.
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2007. "Multiple Equilibria in a Firing Game With Impartial Justice," ESSEC Working Papers DR 07025, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Goerke, Laszlo & Pannenberg, Markus, 2009. "The effects of income taxation on severance pay," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 107-118, January.
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007.
"The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP) – Scope, Evolution and Enhancements,"
Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften,
Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 127(1), pages 139-169.
- Gert G. Wagner & Joachim R. Frick & Jürgen Schupp, 2007. "The German Socio-Economic Panel Study (SOEP): Scope, Evolution and Enhancements," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 1, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Stähler, Nikolai, 2008.
"Firing costs, severance payments, judicial mistakes and unemployment,"
Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 1162-1178, December.
- Nikolai Stähler, 2006. "Firing Costs, Severance Payments, Judicial Mistakes and Unemployment," Working Papers of the Research Group Heterogenous Labor 06-07, Research Group Heterogeneous Labor, University of Konstanz/ZEW Mannheim.
- Christian Grund, 2006. "Severance payments for dismissed employees in Germany," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 49-71, July.
- Christine Jolls, 2004. "The Role and Functioning of Public-Interest Legal Organizations in the Enforcement of the Employment Laws," NBER Working Papers 10708, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Grund, 2006. "Overcompensation by severance payments," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 925-930.
- José Enrique Galdón Sánchez & Maia Güell, 2001.
"Dismissal conflicts and unemployment,"
Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra
0105, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Miguel Á. Malo, 2000. "A Simple Model of Severance Pay Determination: The Case of Individual Dismissals in Spain," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 14(2), pages 269-290, 06.
- repec:hal:wpaper:halshs-00203176 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:iab:iabzaf:v:38:i:2/3:p:284-304 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jolls, Christine, 2007. "Employment Law," Handbook of Law and Economics, Elsevier.
- repec:eme:ijmpps:v:30:y:2009:i:7:p:672-691 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:cegedp:87. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.