Generalized Modeling Approaches to Risk Adjustment of Skewed Outcomes Data
There are two broad classes of models used to address the econometric problems caused by skewness in data commonly encountered in health care applications: (1) transformation to deal with skewness (e.g., OLS on ln(y)); and (2) alternative weighting approaches based on exponential conditional models (ECM) and generalized linear model (GLM) approaches. In this paper, we encompass these two classes of models using the three parameter generalized gamma (GGM) distribution, which includes several of the standard alternatives as special cases – OLS with a normal error, OLS for the log normal, the standard gamma and exponential with a log link, and the Weibull. Using simulation methods, we find the tests of identifying distributions to be robust. The GGM also provides a potentially more robust alternative estimator to the standard alternatives. An example using inpatient expenditures is also analyzed.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2003|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1155 East 60th Street, Chicago, IL 60637|
Web page: http://harrisschool.uchicago.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manning, Willard G., 1998. "The logged dependent variable, heteroscedasticity, and the retransformation problem," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 283-295, June.
- Mullahy, John, 1998. "Much ado about two: reconsidering retransformation and the two-part model in health econometrics," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 247-281, June.
- Manning, Willard G. & Basu, Anirban & Mullahy, John, 2005.
"Generalized modeling approaches to risk adjustment of skewed outcomes data,"
Journal of Health Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 465-488, May.
- Willard G. Manning & Anirban Basu & John Mullahy, 2003. "Generalized Modeling Approaches to Risk Adjustment of Skewed Outcomes Data," Working Papers 0313, Harris School of Public Policy Studies, University of Chicago.
- Willard G. Manning & Anirban Basu & John Mullahy, 2003. "Generalized Modeling Approaches to Risk Adjustment of Skewed Outcomes Data," NBER Technical Working Papers 0293, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blough, David K. & Madden, Carolyn W. & Hornbrook, Mark C., 1999. "Modeling risk using generalized linear models," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 153-171, April.
- Anirban Basu & Willard G. Manning & John Mullahy, 2004. "Comparing alternative models: log vs Cox proportional hazard?," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(8), pages 749-765.
- Manning, Willard G. & Mullahy, John, 2001. "Estimating log models: to transform or not to transform?," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 461-494, July.
- Willard G. Manning & John Mullahy, 1999. "Estimating Log Models: To Transform or Not to Transform?," NBER Technical Working Papers 0246, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:har:wpaper:0313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleanor Cartelli)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.