Multiple Equilibria in a Firing Game With Impartial Justice
In many European countries, a majority of employees are hired under very protective labor contracts that restrict the ability of the employer to dismiss them. In particular, employees can take to courts the firm's layoff motive. This paper analyses the interaction between firms, employees and the labor judicial system specific to South European countries. If judges' error margin increases when the judicial system is subject to congestion, the game presents multiple equilibria which differ in the frequency of workers abusively fired for personal motives. Policy implications can be inferred.
|Date of creation:||Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.essec.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L'Haridon, Olivier & Malherbe, Franck, 2008.
"Employment protection reform in search economies,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
910, HEC Paris.
- L'Haridon, Olivier & Malherbet, Franck, 2006. "Employment Protection Reform in Search Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 2304, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olivier L'Haridon & Franck Malherbet, 2008. "Employment Protection Reform in Search Economies," THEMA Working Papers 2008-26, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Pierre Cahuc & AndrÃ© Zylberberg, 2004. "Labor Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 026203316x, June.
- Gilat Levy, 2005.
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(2), pages 275-297, Summer.
- Levy, Gilat, 2003. "Careerist Judges," CEPR Discussion Papers 3948, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gilat Levy, 2003. "Careerist judges," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3621, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gilat Levy, 2003. "Careerist Judges," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 457, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Gilat Levy, 2005. "Careerist judges," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 939, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Louis Kaplow & Steven Shavell, 1999.
"Economic Analysis of Law,"
NBER Working Papers
6960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2007.
"Multiple Equilibria in a Firing Game With Impartial Justice,"
ESSEC Working Papers
DR 07025, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2009. "Multiple equilibria in a firing game with impartial justice," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 262-271, June.
- José Enrique Galdón Sánchez & Maia Güell, 2001.
"Dismissal conflicts and unemployment,"
Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra
0105, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Pierre Cahuc Stéphane Carcillo, 2006. "Que peut-on attendre des Contrats Nouvelle Embauche ?," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 21(1), pages 37-86.
- Ichino, Andrea & Polo, Michele & Rettore, Enrico, 2003.
"Are judges biased by labor market conditions?,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 47(5), pages 913-944, October.
- Lars Ljungqvist, 2002. "How Do Lay--off Costs Affect Employment?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(482), pages 829-853, October.
- Pierre Cahuc & Winfried Koeniger, 2007. "Feature: Employment Protection Legislation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(521), pages 185-188, 06.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," NBER Working Papers 7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Olivier Blanchard & Jean Tirole, 2004. "Redesigning the Employment Protection System," De Economist, Springer, vol. 152(1), pages 1-20, 03.
- Giuseppe BERTOLA & Tito BOERI & Sandrine CAZES, 2000. "Employment protection in industrialized countries: The case for new indicators," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 139(1), pages 57-72, 03.
- Edmund Phelps & Gylfi Zoega, 2001. "Structural booms," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 83-126, 04.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2001.
"Temporary Jobs, Employment Protection and Labor Market Performance,"
IZA Discussion Papers
260, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2002. "Temporary jobs, employment protection and labor market performance," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 63-91, February.
- O Blanchard & A Landier, 2002. "The Perverse Effects of Partial Labour Market Reform: fixed--Term Contracts in France," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(480), pages F214-F244, June.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Job security, employment and wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 851-879, June.
- Bentolila, Samuel & Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad Is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebg:essewp:dr-07025. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sophie Magnanou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.