Multiple equilibria in a firing game with impartial justice
In many European countries, a majority of employees are hired under very protective labor contracts thatrestrict the ability of the employer to dismiss them. In particular, employees can take to courts the firm'slayoff motive. Given the high costs specific to so-called economic motives and judges' limited ability toprocess an ever growing flow of cases, in the last few years firms have been tempted to invoke faked personalmotives for firing "good" workers. This paper shows that the interaction between firms, employees andthe labor judicial system is consistent with multiple equilibria. Hence firing costs depend not only onvariables under the control of the government, but also on the nature of the equilibrium. Policies aimingat increasing flexibility, interpreted as a reduction in firing costs, should consider the possibility of shiftingfrom a high to a low firing costs equilibrium.
|Date of creation:||09 Jan 2008|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00203176|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo & André Zylberberg, 2014.
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Olivier L'Haridon & Franck Malherbet, 2008.
"Employment Protection Reform in Search Economies,"
THEMA Working Papers
2008-26, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- L'Haridon, Olivier & Malherbe, Franck, 2008. "Employment protection reform in search economies," Les Cahiers de Recherche 910, HEC Paris.
- Olivier L'Haridon & Franck Malherbet, 8/04. "Employment Protection Reform in Search Economies," Working Papers hal-00587576, HAL.
- L'Haridon, Olivier & Malherbet, Franck, 2006. "Employment Protection Reform in Search Economies," IZA Discussion Papers 2304, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- José Enrique Galdón Sánchez & Maia Güell, 2001.
"Dismissal conflicts and unemployment,"
Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra
0105, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
- Damien Besancenot & Radu Vranceanu, 1/09.
"Multiple equilibria in a firing game with impartial justice,"
CEPN Working Papers
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2009. "Multiple equilibria in a firing game with impartial justice," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 262-271, June.
- Besancenot, Damien & Vranceanu, Radu, 2007. "Multiple Equilibria in a Firing Game With Impartial Justice," ESSEC Working Papers DR 07025, ESSEC Research Center, ESSEC Business School.
- Ljungqvist, Lars, 2001.
"How Do Layoff Costs Affect Employment?,"
IZA Discussion Papers
403, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Ljungqvist, Lars, 1999. "How Do Layoff Costs Affect Employment?," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 322, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Ljungqvist, Lars, 2001. "How Do Layoff Costs Affect Employment?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3051, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Edmund Phelps & Gylfi Zoega, 2001. "Structural booms," Economic Policy, CEPR;CES;MSH, vol. 16(32), pages 83-126, 04.
- Bertola, Giuseppe, 1990. "Job security, employment and wages," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 851-879, June.
- Olivier Blanchard & Justin Wolfers, 1999.
"The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence,"
NBER Working Papers
7282, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blanchard, Olivier & Wolfers, Justin, 2000. "The Role of Shocks and Institutions in the Rise of European Unemployment: The Aggregate Evidence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 110(462), pages C1-33, March.
- Giuseppe BERTOLA & Tito BOERI & Sandrine CAZES, 2000. "Employment protection in industrialized countries: The case for new indicators," International Labour Review, International Labour Organization, vol. 139(1), pages 57-72, 03.
- Samuel Bentolila & Giuseppe Bertola, 1990. "Firing Costs and Labour Demand: How Bad is Eurosclerosis?," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 57(3), pages 381-402.
- Gilat Levy, 2005.
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
939, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Levy, Gilat, 2003. "Careerist Judges," CEPR Discussion Papers 3948, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gilat Levy, 2003. "Careerist Judges," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series 457, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Gilat Levy, 2003. "Careerist judges," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3621, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Pierre Cahuc & Winfried Koeniger, 2007. "Feature: Employment Protection Legislation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 117(521), pages 185-188, 06.
- Olivier Blanchard & Jean Tirole, 2004. "Redesigning the Employment Protection System," De Economist, Springer, vol. 152(1), pages 1-20, 03.
- Andrea Ichino & Michele Polo & Enrico Rettore, .
"Are Judges Biased by Labor Market Conditions?,"
192, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2002.
"Temporary jobs, employment protection and labor market performance,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 63-91, February.
- Cahuc, Pierre & Postel-Vinay, Fabien, 2001. "Temporary Jobs, Employment Protection and Labor Market Performance," IZA Discussion Papers 260, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Louis Kaplow & Steven Shavell, 1999.
"Economic Analysis of Law,"
NBER Working Papers
6960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- O Blanchard & A Landier, 2002. "The Perverse Effects of Partial Labour Market Reform: fixed--Term Contracts in France," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(480), pages F214-F244, June.
- Pierre Cahuc & Stéphane Carcillo, 2006. "Que peut-on attendre des Contrats Nouvelle Embauche ?," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 21(1), pages 37-86.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:cepnwp:halshs-00203176. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.