The Demand for Individual Grievance Procedures in Germany and Spain: Labour Law Changes versus Business Cycle/La demanda de reclamaciones laborales individuales en Alemania y España: Derecho Laboral versus Ciclo Económico
In this article, we analyze the determinants of annual number of grievance procedures, mainly individual complaints against unfair dismissals. Econometric analyses using two balanced panels from the 11 West German states (1964-2006) and the 17 autonomous regions of Spain (1987-2006) show that labour market characteristics, such as the unemployment and the vacancy rate have a much stronger influence on the cyclical demand for individual grievance procedures than changes in “workers’ rights”. Thus, the individual costs of unemployment are better predictors of the demand for individual grievance procedures than institutional changes strengthening or weakening employees’ rights. En este artículo, se analizan los determinantes del número de procesos de despido individual improcedente. Los análisis econométricos realizados usando dos paneles equilibrados de datos de 11 estados de Alemania del Oeste (1964-2006) y 17 comunidades autónomas de España (1987-2006) muestran que algunas características del mercado de trabajo tales como la tasa de desempleo o la de vacantes tienen una influencia mayor en la demanda cíclica de reclamaciones individuales que los cambios en los derechos de los trabajadores. Así, el coste individual del desempleo predice mejor las reclamaciones por despido y salariales que los cambios institucionales que alteran los derechos de los trabajadores.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 30 (2012)
Issue (Month): (Abril)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (34) 983 423320
Fax: (34) 983 184568
Web page: http://www.revista-eea.net
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.revista-eea.net Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John T. Addison & Paulino Teixeira, 2004.
"What Have We Learned About The Employment Effects of Severance Pay? Further Iterations of Lazear et al,"
GEMF Working Papers
2004-02, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- John Addison & Paulino Teixeira, 2005. "What Have We Learned about the Employment Effects of Severance Pay? Further Iterations of Lazear Et al," Empirica, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 345-368, 09.
- Addison, John T. & Teixeira, Paulino, 2003. "What Have We Learned About the Employment Effects of Severance Pay? Further Iterations of Lazear et al," IZA Discussion Papers 943, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Verick, Sher, 2004. "Threshold Effects of Dismissal Protection Legislation in Germany," IZA Discussion Papers 991, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Juan Botero & Simeon Djankov & Rafael Porta & Florencio C. Lopez-De-Silanes, 2004.
"The Regulation of Labor,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 119(4), pages 1339-1382, November.
- Juan Botero & Simeon Djankov & Rafael LaPorta & Florencio López-de-Silanes & Andrei Shleifer, . "The Regulation of Labor," Working Paper 19483, Harvard University OpenScholar.
- Simeon Djankov & Rafael La Porta & Florencio Lopez-de-Silane & Andrei Shleifer & Juan Botero, 2003. "The Regulation of Labor," NBER Working Papers 9756, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Simon Deakin & Prabirjit Sarkar, 2008.
"Assessing the Long-Run Economic Impact of Labour Law Systems: A theoretical Reappraisal and Analysis of New Time Series Data,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp367, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Simon Deakin & Prabirjit Sarkar, 2008. "Assessing the Long-Run Economic Impact of Labour Law Systems: A Theoretical Reappraisal and Analysis of New Time Series Data," WEF Working Papers 0043, ESRC World Economy and Finance Research Programme, Birkbeck, University of London.
- Levine, David I, 1991. "Just-Cause Employment Policies in the Presence of Worker Adverse Selection," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 9(3), pages 294-305, July.
- Levine, David I, 1989. "Just-Cause Employment Policies When Unemployment Is a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 902-05, September.
- Grund, Christian, 1999. "Stigma effects of layoffs?: Evidence from German micro-data," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 241-247, August.
- Andrea Ichino & Michele Polo & Enrico Rettore, .
"Are Judges Biased by Labor Market Conditions?,"
192, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1990. "Job Security Provisions and Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 105(3), pages 699-726, August.
- Davin Chor & Richard B. Freeman, 2005.
"The 2004 Global Labor Survey: Workplace Institutions and Practices Around the World,"
NBER Working Papers
11598, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davin Chor & Richard B. Freeman, 2005. "The 2004 Global Labor Survey : Workplace Institutions and Practices Around the World," Labor Economics Working Papers 22066, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Miguel �. Malo, 2000. "A Simple Model of Severance Pay Determination: The Case of Individual Dismissals in Spain," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 14(2), pages 269-290, 06.
- Tito Boeri & Juan F. Jimeno, 2003.
"The Effects of Employment Protection: Learning from Variable Enforcement,"
252, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Boeri, Tito & Jimeno, Juan F., 2005. "The effects of employment protection: Learning from variable enforcement," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 49(8), pages 2057-2077, November.
- Tito Boeri, 2004. "The Effects of Employment Protection: Learning from Variable Enforcement," 2004 Meeting Papers 445a, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Tito Boeri & Juan F. Jimeno, . "The Effects of Employment Protection: Learning from Variable Enforcement," Working Papers 2003-12, FEDEA.
- Boeri, Tito & Jimeno, Juan F, 2003. "The Effects of Employment Protection: Learning from Variable Enforcement," CEPR Discussion Papers 3926, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gibbons, R. & Katz, L.F., 1989.
"Layoffs And Lemons,"
531, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1989. "Layoffs and Lemons," Working Papers 629, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Gibbons, Robert & Katz, Lawrence F., 1991. "Layoffs and Lemons," Scholarly Articles 3442782, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Robert Gibbons & Lawrence Katz, 1989. "Layoffs and Lemons," NBER Working Papers 2968, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pilar GarcÃa-MartÃnez & Miguel Malo, 2007. "The strategic use of dismissal legislation: an empirical analysis using Spanish data," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 151-167, April.
- Miguel Malo & JoaquÃn PÃ©rez, 2003.
"Individual Dismissals in Europe and the United States: A Model on the Influence of the Legal Framework on Firing Costs,"
European Journal of Law and Economics,
Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 47-63, January.
- Malo, M.A aand Joaquin Pérez., 2002. "Individual dismissals in Europe and the United States: A model on the influence of the legal framework on firing costs," Doctorado en Economía- documentos de trabajo 9/02, Programa de doctorado en Economía. Universidad de Alcalá..
- Christian Grund, 2006. "Overcompensation by severance payments," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 925-930.
- Luis Toharia & Antonio Ojeda, 1999. "The Management of Redundancies in Europe: The Case of Spain," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 13(1), pages 237-267, 03.
- Sarah Brown & Bernd Frick & John Sessions, 1997. "Unemployment, Vacancies and Unfair Dismissals," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 11(2), pages 329-349, 06.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lrk:eeaart:30_1_9. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beatriz Rodríguez Prado)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.