Food security and storage in the Middle East and North Africa
In times of highly volatile commodity markets, governments often try to protect their populations from rapidly-rising food prices, which can be particularly harsh for the poor. A potential solution for food-deficit countries is to hold strategic reserves, which can be called on when international prices spike. But how large should strategic stockpiles be? This paper develops a dynamic storage model for wheat in the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region, where imported wheat dominates the average diet. The paper uses the model to analyze a strategy that sets aside wheat stockpiles, which can be used when needed to keep domestic prices below a targeted price. This paper shows that if the target is set high and reserves are adequate, the strategy can be effective and robust. Contrary to most interventions, strategic storage policies are counter-cyclical and, when the importing region is sufficiently large, a regional policy can smooth global prices. This paper shows that this is the case for the MENA region. Nevertheless, the policy is more costly than the pro-cyclical policy of a targeted intervention that directly offsets high prices with a subsidy similar to food stamps.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (202) 477-1234
Web page: http://www.worldbank.org/Email:
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- von Braun, Joachim & Torero, Maximo, 2009. "Implementing physical and virtual food reserves to protect the poor and prevent market failure:," Policy briefs 10, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Deaton, A. & Laroque, G., 1989.
"On The Behavior Of Commodity Prices,"
145, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Public and International Affairs.
- Peters, May & Langley, Suchada V. & Westcott, Paul C., 2009. "Agricultural Commodity Price Spikes in the 1970s and 1990s: Valuable Lessons for Today," Amber Waves, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, March.
- Byerlee, Derek & Jayne, T.S. & Myers, Robert J., 2006. "Managing food price risks and instability in a liberalizing market environment: Overview and policy options," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 275-287, August.
- Wright, Brian D & Williams, Jeffrey C, 1982. "The Economic Role of Commodity Storage," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(367), pages 596-614, September.
- Donald F. Larson & Jock R. Anderson & Panos Varangis, 2004. "Policies on Managing Risk in Agricultural Markets," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 19(2), pages 199-230.
- Massell, Benton F, 1969. "Price Stabilization and Welfare," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 284-98, May.
- Yamey, Basil S, 1992. "The Tin Crisis (1985-86) and Futures Trading," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 0(0), pages 10-15, Supplemen.
- Larson, Donald F. & Coleman, Jonathan, 1991. "The effects of option hedging on the costs of domestic price stabilization schemes," Policy Research Working Paper Series 653, The World Bank.
- Julian Lampietti & Sean Michaels & Nick Magnan, 2009. "Improving Food Security in Arab Countries," World Bank Other Operational Studies 10992, The World Bank.
- Wright, Brian D & Williams, Jeffrey C, 1988. "The Incidence of Market-Stabilising Price Support Schemes," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(393), pages 1183-98, December.
- Skees, Jerry & Varangis, Panos & Larson, Donald & Siegel, Paul, 2002.
"Can financial markets be tapped to help poor people cope with weather risks ?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2812, The World Bank.
- Skees, Jerry & Varangis, Panos & Larson, Donald & Siegel, Paul, 2002. "Can Financial Markets be Tapped to Help Poor People Cope with Weather Risks?," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bardsley, Peter, 1994.
"The Collapse of the Australian Wool Reserve Price Scheme,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(426), pages 1087-1105, September.
- Peter Bardsley, 1992. "The Collapse of the Australian Wool Reserve Price Scheme," Working Papers 1992.17, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Peter Bardsley, 1992. "The Collapse of the Australian Wool Reserve Price Scheme," Working Papers 1992.17 EDIRC Provider-In, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Brennan, Donna, 2003. "Price dynamics in the Bangladesh rice market: implications for public intervention," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 29(1), pages 15-25, July.
- Gouel, Christophe & Jean, Sebastien, 2012.
"Optimal food price stabilization in a small open developing country,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
5943, The World Bank.
- Christophe Gouel & Sébastien Jean, 2012. "Optimal Food Price Stabilization in a Small Open Developing Country," Working Papers 2012-01, CEPII research center.
- Christophe Gouel & SÃ©bastien Jean, 2015. "Optimal food price stabilization in a small open developing country," Working Papers 274047, Institut National de la Recherche Agronomique, France.
- del Ninno, Carlo & Dorosh, Paul A. & Subbarao, Kalanidhi, 2007. "Food aid, domestic policy and food security: Contrasting experiences from South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 413-435, August.
- Alderman, Harold & Haque, Trina, 2006. "Countercyclical safety nets for the poor and vulnerable," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 372-383, August.
- Elton Mykerezi & Bradford Mills, 2010.
"The Impact of Food Stamp Program Participation on Household Food Insecurity,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1379-1391.
- Mykerezi, Elton & Mills, Bradford F., 2008. "The Impact of Food Stamp Program Participation on Household Food Insecurity," 2008 Annual Meeting, July 27-29, 2008, Orlando, Florida 6552, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Michael J. Roberts & Wolfram Schlenker, 2009. "World Supply and Demand of Food Commodity Calories," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(5), pages 1235-1242.
- Paul Dorosh, 2008. "Food Price Stabilisation And Food Security: International Experience," Bulletin of Indonesian Economic Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 44(1), pages 93-114.
- Salant, Stephen W, 1983. "The Vulnerability of Price Stabilization Schemes to Speculative Attack," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-38, February.
- Cunha, Jesse & De Giorgi, Giacomo & Jayachandran, Seema, 2011.
"The Price Effects of Cash Versus In-Kind Transfers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8581, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jesse M. Cunha & Giacomo De Giorgi & Seema Jayachandran, 2011. "The Price Effects of Cash Versus In-Kind Transfers," NBER Working Papers 17456, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Knudsen, Odin & Nash, John, 1990. "Domestic Price Stabilization Schemes in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 38(3), pages 539-58, April.
- Cafiero, Carlo & Bobenrieth H., Eugenio S.A. & Bobenrieth H., Juan R.A. & Wright, Brian D., 2011. "The empirical relevance of the competitive storage model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 44-54, May.
- Shiva S. Makki & Luther G. Tweeten & Mario J. Miranda, 1996. "Wheat Storage and Trade in an Efficient Global Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 78(4), pages 879-890.
- Wright, Brian D & Williams, Jeffrey C, 1984. "The Welfare Effects of the Introduction of Storage," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 99(1), pages 169-92, February.
- Anderson, Jock & Blitzer, Charles & Cauchois, Tom & Grilli, Enzo, 1981. "A dynamic simulation model of the world jute economy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 303-331.
- Srinivasan, P. V. & Jha, Shikha, 2001. "Liberalized trade and domestic price stability. The case of rice and wheat in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 417-441, August.
- Takamasa Akiyama & John Baffes & Donald Larson & Panos Varangis, 2001. "Commodity Market Reforms : Lessons of Two Decades," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 13852.
- Andrew Coleman, 2009. "Storage, Slow Transport, and the Law of One Price: Theory with Evidence from Nineteenth-Century U.S. Corn Markets," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(2), pages 332-350, May.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521326162 is not listed on IDEAS
- Brennan, Donna, 2003. "Price dynamics in the Bangladesh rice market: implications for public intervention," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 29(1), July.
- Gilbert, Christopher L., 1996. "International Commodity Agreements: An obituary notice," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-19, January.
- Massell, Benton F, 1970. "Some Welfare Implications of International Price Stabilization," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(2), pages 404-17, March-Apr.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:6031. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.