Can Malaysia escape the middle-income Trap ? a strategy for Penang
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Au, Chun-Chung & Henderson, J. Vernon, 2006.
"How migration restrictions limit agglomeration and productivity in China,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 80(2), pages 350-388, August.
- Chun-Chung Au & Vernon Henderson, 2002. "How Migration Restrictions Limit Agglomeration and Productivity in China," NBER Working Papers 8707, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John M. Quigley, 2008.
"Urbanization, Agglomeration, and Economic Development,"
World Bank Publications,
The World Bank, number 28042.
- Quigley, John M., 2008. "Urbanization, Agglomeration, and Economic Development," Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy, Working Paper Series qt6tf2s100, Berkeley Program on Housing and Urban Policy.
- Rice, Patricia & Venables, Anthony J. & Patacchini, Eleonora, 2006.
"Spatial determinants of productivity: Analysis for the regions of Great Britain,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 727-752, November.
- Rice, Patricia & Venables, Anthony J, 2004. "Spatial Determinants of Productivity: Analysis for the Regions of Great Britain," CEPR Discussion Papers 4527, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patricia Rice & Anthony J. Venables, 2004. "Spatial Determinants of Productivity: Analysis for the Regions of Great Britain," CEP Discussion Papers dp0642, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Rice, Patricia & Venables, Tony, 2004. "Spatial determinants of productivity: analysis for the regions of Great Britain," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2040, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2007.
"What you export matters,"
Journal of Economic Growth,
Springer, vol. 12(1), pages 1-25, March.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2005. "What You Export Matters," Working Paper Series rwp05-063, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Hausmann, Ricardo & Hwang, Jason & Rodrik, Dani, 2006. "What You Export Matters," CEPR Discussion Papers 5444, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2005. "What You Export Matters," NBER Working Papers 11905, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo Hausmann & Jason Hwang & Dani Rodrik, 2005. "What You Export Matters," CID Working Papers 123, Center for International Development at Harvard University.
- Shahid Yusuf & Kaoru Nabeshima, 2007. "How Universities Promote Economic Growth," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6631, June.
- Richard Florida & Charlotta Mellander & Kevin Stolarick, 2008.
"Inside the black box of regional development: human capital, the creative class and tolerance,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 8(5), pages 615-649, September.
- Florida, Richard & Mellander, Charlotta & Stolarick, Kevin, 2007. "Inside the Black Box of Regional Development - human capital, the creative class and tolerance," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 88, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Weiss, John & Zhang, Jinkang, 2006. "The "sophistication" of exports: A new trade measure," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 222-237, February.
- Lall, Somik V. & Shalizi, Zmarak & Deichmann, Uwe, 2004.
"Agglomeration economies and productivity in Indian industry,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 643-673, April.
- Lall, Somik & Shalizi, Zmarak & Deichmann, Uwe, 2001. "Agglomeration economies and productivity in Indian industry," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2663, The World Bank.
- Hiratsuka, Daisuke, 2006. "Outward FDI from and intraregional FDI in ASEAN : trends and drivers," IDE Discussion Papers 77, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Kodama, Fumio & Suzuki, Jun, 2007. "How Japanese Companies have used Scientific Advances to Restructure their Businesses: The Receiver-Active National System of Innovation," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 976-990, June.
- World Bank, 2005. "Malaysia : Firm Competitiveness, Investment Climate and Growth," World Bank Other Operational Studies 8310, The World Bank.
- Bruno Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2008. "Europe's R&D: Missing the Wrong Targets?," Intereconomics: Review of European Economic Policy, Springer;German National Library of Economics;Centre for European Policy Studies (CEPS), vol. 43(4), pages 220-225, July.
- Henry Overman & Anthony J. Venables, 2005. "Cities in the Developing World," CEP Discussion Papers dp0695, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Allen J. Scott, 2009. "World Development Report 2009: reshaping economic geography," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 9(4), pages 583-586, July.
- William J. Baumol, 2004. "Education for Innovation: Entrepreneurial Breakthroughs vs. Corporate Incremental Improvements," NBER Working Papers 10578, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shahid Yusuf & Kaoru Nabeshima & Shoichi Yamashita, 2008. "Growing Industrial Clusters in Asia : Serendipity and Science," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6429, June.
- Kodama, Toshihiro, 2008. "The role of intermediation and absorptive capacity in facilitating university-industry linkages--An empirical study of TAMA in Japan," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1224-1240, September.
- Deichmann, Uwe & Kaiser, Kai & Lall, Somik V & Shalizi, Zmarak, 2005. "Agglomeration, transport, and regional development in Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3477, The World Bank.
- Wright, Mike & Clarysse, Bart & Lockett, Andy & Knockaert, Mirjam, 2008. "Mid-range universities' linkages with industry: Knowledge types and the role of intermediaries," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1205-1223, September.
- Christopher R. Berry & Edward L. Glaeser, 2005. "The Divergence of Human Capital Levels Across Cities," NBER Working Papers 11617, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 2011. "Growing with Global Production Sharing: The Tale of Penang Export Hub," Departmental Working Papers 2011-13, The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics.
- Linxiu Zhang & Hongmei Yi & Renfu Luo & Changfang Liu & Scott Rozelle, 2013.
"The human capital roots of the middle income trap: the case of China,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 44(s1), pages 151-162, November.
- Zhang, Linxiu & Yi, Hongmei & Luo, Renfu & Liu, Changfang & Rozelle, Scott, 2012. "The Human Capital Roots of the Middle Income Trap: The Case of China," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil 131119, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- World Bank, 2010. "Ecuador : Diversification and Sustainable Growth in an Oil - Dependent Country," World Bank Other Operational Studies 18503, The World Bank.
- Wonkyu Shin & Keun Lee & Walter G. Park, 2016. "When an Importer's Protection of IPR Interacts with an Exporter's Level of Technology: Comparing the Impacts on the Exports of the North and South," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(6), pages 772-802, June.
- Lee, Keun & Kim, Byung-Yeon & Park, Young-Yoon & Sanidas, Elias, 2013. "Big businesses and economic growth: Identifying a binding constraint for growth with country panel analysis," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 561-582.
- Longfeng Ye & Peter E. Robertson, 2016. "On the Existence of a Middle-Income Trap," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 92(297), pages 173-189, June.
- Fernando Gabriel Im & David Rosenblatt, 2015.
"Middle-Income Traps: A Conceptual and Empirical Survey,"
Journal of International Commerce, Economics and Policy (JICEP),
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 6(03), pages 1-39.
- Im, Fernando Gabriel & Rosenblatt, David, 2013. "Middle-income traps : a conceptual and empirical survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6594, The World Bank.
- Khorasanizadeh, Hasti & Parkkinen, Jussi & Parthiban, Rajendran & David Moore, Joel, 2015. "Energy and economic benefits of LED adoption in Malaysia," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 629-637.
- Nabeshima, Kaoru & Kang, Byeongwoo & Kashcheeva, Mila, 2016. "Descriptive analysis of the knowledge network formation in East Asia," IDE Discussion Papers 558, Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization(JETRO).
- Rigg, Jonathan & Promphaking, Buapun & Le Mare, Ann, 2014. "Personalizing the Middle-Income Trap: An Inter-Generational Migrant View from Rural Thailand," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 59(C), pages 184-198.
More about this item
KeywordsTechnology Industry; Tertiary Education; E-Business; ICT Policy and Strategies; Agricultural Knowledge&Information Systems;
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2009-07-11 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-DEV-2009-07-11 (Development)
- NEP-TUR-2009-07-11 (Tourism Economics)
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wbk:wbrwps:4971. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roula I. Yazigi). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/dvewbus.html .