Exchange rate pass-through and inflation targeting in Peru
It has been widely documented that the exchange rate pass-through to domestic inflation has decreased significantly in most of the industralised world. As microeconomic factors cannot completely explain such a widespread phenomenon, a macroeconomic explanation linked to the inflationary environment - that a low and more stable inflation rate leads to a decrease in the pass-through - have gained popularity. Using a structural VAR framework, this paper presents evidence of a similar decline in the pass-through in Peru, a small open economy that gradually reduced inflation to international levels in order to adopt a fully-fledged inflation targeting scheme in 2002. It is argued that the establishment of a credible regime of low inflation has been instrumental in driving the exchange rate pass-through down.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 427-6250 ext. 3841
Web page: http://www.bcrp.gob.pe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Todd E. Clark, 1999.
"The Responses Of Prices At Different Stages Of Production To Monetary Policy Shocks,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(3), pages 420-433, August.
- Todd E. Clark, 1996. "The responses of prices at different stages of production to monetary policy shocks," Research Working Paper 96-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Marco Vega & Diego Winkelried, 2005.
"Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?,"
International Journal of Central Banking,
International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(3), December.
- Marco Vega & Diego Winkelried, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?," Macroeconomics 0502026, EconWPA.
- Vega, Marco & Winkelried, Diego, 2004. "Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?," MPRA Paper 838, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S., 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4391, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- J. McCarthy, 1999.
"Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialised economies,"
BIS Working Papers
79, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2007. "Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Import Prices to Domestic Inflation in Some Industrialized Economies," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 511-537, Fall.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2000. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialized economies," Staff Reports 111, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hendry, David F., 2006. "Robustifying forecasts from equilibrium-correction systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 399-426.
- Marazzi, Mario & Sheets, Nathan, 2007. "Declining exchange rate pass-through to U.S. import prices: The potential role of global factors," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 924-947, October.
- Renzo Rossini & Marco Vega, 2008.
"The monetary policy transmission mechanism under financial dollarisation: the case of Peru 1996-2006,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Transmission mechanisms for monetary policy in emerging market economies, volume 35, pages 395-412
Bank for International Settlements.
- Renzo Rossini & Marco Vega, 2007. "The monetary policy transmission mechanism under financial dollarization: the case of Peru 1996-2006," Working Papers 2007-017, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Winkelried, Diego, 2003. "¿Es asimétrico el pass-through en el Perú?: Un análisis agregado," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 10.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998.
"Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models,"
Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997. "Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Choudhri, Ehsan U. & Hakura, Dalia S., 2006.
"Exchange rate pass-through to domestic prices: Does the inflationary environment matter?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 614-639, June.
- Dalia Hakura & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2001. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices; Does the Inflationary Environment Matter?," IMF Working Papers 01/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001.
"Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Simple Monetary Policy Rules,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
478, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2007. "Incomplete exchange rate pass-through and simple monetary policy rules," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 468-494, April.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2002. "Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Simple Monetary Policy Rules," Working Paper Series 136, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Bai, Jushan & Lumsdaine, Robin L & Stock, James H, 1998.
"Testing for and Dating Common Breaks in Multivariate Time Series,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 65(3), pages 395-432, July.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to demonstrate Bai, Lumsdaine, Stock common breaks in VAR," Statistical Software Components RTZ00171, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Takhtamanova, Yelena F., 2010.
"Understanding changes in exchange rate pass-through,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1118-1130, December.
- Yelena Takhtamanova, 2008. "Understanding changes in exchange rate pass-through," Working Paper Series 2008-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Cesar Carrera & Mahir Binici, 2006. "Pass-Through del Tipo de Cambio y Política Monetaria: Evidencia Empírica de los Países del OECD," Working Papers 2006-009, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Alessandro Flamini, 2004.
"Inflation Targeting and Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
IHEID Working Papers
04-2004, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Flamini, Alessandro, 2007. "Inflation targeting and exchange rate pass-through," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1113-1150, November.
- Ana María Iregui B. & Ligia Alba Melo B. & María Teresa Ramírez, 2010.
"Wage differentials across economic sectors in the Colombian formal labour market: evidence from a survey of firms,"
BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA
007736, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
- Ana María Iregui B. & Ligia Alba Melo B. Author-Email:firstname.lastname@example.org & María Teresa Ranírez G., . "Wage differentials across economic sectors in the Colombian formal labour market: evidence from a survey of firms," Borradores de Economia 629, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rbp:wpaper:2011-012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Research Unit)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Research Unit to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.