Exchange rate pass-through and inflation targeting in Peru
It has been widely documented that the exchange rate pass-through to domestic inflation has decreased significantly in most of the industralised world. As microeconomic factors cannot completely explain such a widespread phenomenon, a macroeconomic explanation linked to the inflationary environment - that a low and more stable inflation rate leads to a decrease in the pass-through - have gained popularity. Using a structural VAR framework, this paper presents evidence of a similar decline in the pass-through in Peru, a small open economy that gradually reduced inflation to international levels in order to adopt a fully-fledged inflation targeting scheme in 2002. It is argued that the establishment of a credible regime of low inflation has been instrumental in driving the exchange rate pass-through down.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Jr. Miro Quesada 441, Lima|
Phone: 427-6250 ext. 3841
Web page: http://www.bcrp.gob.pe
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marazzi, Mario & Sheets, Nathan, 2007. "Declining exchange rate pass-through to U.S. import prices: The potential role of global factors," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 924-947, October.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2001.
"Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Simple Monetary Policy Rules,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
478, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2007. "Incomplete exchange rate pass-through and simple monetary policy rules," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 468-494, April.
- Adolfson, Malin, 2002. "Incomplete Exchange Rate Pass-Through and Simple Monetary Policy Rules," Working Paper Series 136, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Marco Vega & Diego Winkelried, 2005.
"Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?,"
- Marco Vega & Diego Winkelried, 2005. "Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?," International Journal of Central Banking, International Journal of Central Banking, vol. 1(3), December.
- Vega, Marco & Winkelried, Diego, 2004. "Inflation Targeting and Inflation Behavior: A Successful Story?," MPRA Paper 838, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Alessandro Flamini, 2004.
"Inflation Targeting and Exchange Rate Pass-Through,"
IHEID Working Papers
04-2004, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Flamini, Alessandro, 2007. "Inflation targeting and exchange rate pass-through," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(7), pages 1113-1150, November.
- Pinelopi K. Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1996.
"Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?,"
NBER Working Papers
5862, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pinelopi Koujianou Goldberg & Michael M. Knetter, 1997. "Goods Prices and Exchange Rates: What Have We Learned?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 35(3), pages 1243-1272, September.
- Jushan Bai & Robin L. Lumsdaine & James H. Stock, 1998. "Testing For and Dating Common Breaks in Multivariate Time Series," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 65(3), pages 395-432.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Shin, Y., 1997.
"Generalised Impulse Response Analysis in Linear Multivariate Models,"
Cambridge Working Papers in Economics
9710, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Pesaran, H. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 1998. "Generalized impulse response analysis in linear multivariate models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 58(1), pages 17-29, January.
- Todd E. Clark, 1999.
"The Responses Of Prices At Different Stages Of Production To Monetary Policy Shocks,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(3), pages 420-433, August.
- Todd E. Clark, 1996. "The responses of prices at different stages of production to monetary policy shocks," Research Working Paper 96-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Campa, José Manuel & Goldberg, Linda S., 2004.
"Exchange Rate Pass-Through into Import Prices,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
4391, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Choudhri, Ehsan U. & Hakura, Dalia S., 2006.
"Exchange rate pass-through to domestic prices: Does the inflationary environment matter?,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 25(4), pages 614-639, June.
- Dalia S Hakura & Ehsan U. Choudhri, 2001. "Exchange Rate Pass-Through to Domestic Prices; Does the Inflationary Environment Matter?," IMF Working Papers 01/194, International Monetary Fund.
- Taylor, John B., 2000. "Low inflation, pass-through, and the pricing power of firms," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(7), pages 1389-1408, June.
- Yelena Takhtamanova, 2008.
"Understanding changes in exchange rate pass-through,"
Working Paper Series
2008-13, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Takhtamanova, Yelena F., 2010. "Understanding changes in exchange rate pass-through," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 1118-1130, December.
- Hendry, David F., 2006. "Robustifying forecasts from equilibrium-correction systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 399-426.
- Cesar Carrera & Mahir Binici, 2006. "Pass-Through del Tipo de Cambio y Política Monetaria: Evidencia Empírica de los Países del OECD," Working Papers 2006-009, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Renzo Rossini & Marco Vega, 2007.
"The monetary policy transmission mechanism under financial dollarization: the case of Peru 1996-2006,"
2007-017, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú.
- Renzo Rossini & Marco Vega, 2008. "The monetary policy transmission mechanism under financial dollarisation: the case of Peru 1996-2006," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Transmission mechanisms for monetary policy in emerging market economies, volume 35, pages 395-412 Bank for International Settlements.
- Winkelried, Diego, 2003. "¿Es asimétrico el pass-through en el Perú?: Un análisis agregado," Revista Estudios Económicos, Banco Central de Reserva del Perú, issue 10.
- J. McCarthy, 1999.
"Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialised economies,"
BIS Working Papers
79, Bank for International Settlements.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2007. "Pass-Through of Exchange Rates and Import Prices to Domestic Inflation in Some Industrialized Economies," Eastern Economic Journal, Eastern Economic Association, vol. 33(4), pages 511-537, Fall.
- Jonathan McCarthy, 2000. "Pass-through of exchange rates and import prices to domestic inflation in some industrialized economies," Staff Reports 111, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Ana María Iregui B. & Ligia Alba Melo B. Author-Email:email@example.com & María Teresa Ranírez G., .
"Wage differentials across economic sectors in the Colombian formal labour market: evidence from a survey of firms,"
Borradores de Economia
629, Banco de la Republica de Colombia.
- Ana María Iregui B. & Ligia Alba Melo B. & María Teresa Ramírez, 2010. "Wage differentials across economic sectors in the Colombian formal labour market: evidence from a survey of firms," BORRADORES DE ECONOMIA 007736, BANCO DE LA REPÚBLICA.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rbp:wpaper:2011-012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Research Unit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.