Exclusivity and Exclusion on Platform Markets
We examine conditions under which a platform ?rm can exclude rivals by bundling a product that some on one side of the market re- gard as essential with its platform, and pursue implications for market performance. We show that the impact of an exclusive dealing con- tract between the upstream ?rm and one of the downstream ?rms on market performance depends on the strength of consumer preferences for the products of the two downstream ?rms and the relative size of the market segment for which the complementary consumption good is essential. In some cases this may reduce the net social welfare.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.krannert.purdue.edu/programs/phd
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Str–mberg, 2004.
"Mass Media Competition, Political Competition, and Public Policy,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 71(1), pages 265-284, 01.
- David Str�mberg, 2004. "Mass Media Competition, Political Competition, and Public Policy," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(1), pages 265-284.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003.
"Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
Journal of the European Economic Association,
MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets," FMG Discussion Papers dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Wright, Julian, 2004.
"Price Structure in Two-sided Markets: Evidence from the Magazine Industry?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
04-80, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Kaiser, Ulrich & Wright, Julian, 2006. "Price structure in two-sided markets: Evidence from the magazine industry," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Elena Argentesi, 2004. "Demand Estimation for Italian Newspapers: The Impact of Weekly Supplements," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/28, European University Institute.
- repec:rje:randje:v:37:y:2006:3:p:645-667 is not listed on IDEAS
- Weeds, Helen, 2012. "TV Wars: Exclusive Content and Platform Competition in Pay TV," CEPR Discussion Papers 8781, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Rosse, James N, 1970. "Estimating Cost Function Parameters without Using Cost Data: Illustrated Methodology," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 256-75, March.
- Marc Rysman, 2004. "Competition Between Networks: A Study of the Market for Yellow Pages," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(2), pages 483-512.
- Whinston, Michael D, 1990.
"Tying, Foreclosure, and Exclusion,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 80(4), pages 837-59, September.
- Marc Rysman, 2009. "The Economics of Two-Sided Markets," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 23(3), pages 125-43, Summer.
- Christiaan Hogendorn & Ka Yat Yuen, 2004. "Platform Competition with “Must-Have” Components," Wesleyan Economics Working Papers 2004-003, Wesleyan University, Department of Economics.
- Church, Jeffrey & Gandal, Neil, 2004. "Platform Competition in Telecommunications," CEPR Discussion Papers 4659, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Matthew Ellman & Fabrizio Germano, 2009. "What do the Papers Sell? A Model of Advertising and Media Bias," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 119(537), pages 680-704, 04.
- Mark Armstrong & Julian Wright, 2007. "Two-sided Markets, Competitive Bottlenecks and Exclusive Contracts," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 353-380, August.
- Dewenter, Ralf, 2003. "Media Markets with Habit Formation," Working Paper 5/2003, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pur:prukra:1254. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Krannert PHD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.