Price Structure in Two-sided Markets: Evidence from the Magazine Industry?
We present and estimate a model of competition in a two-sided market: the market for magazine readership and advertising. Using data on magazines in Germany, we find evidence that magazines have properties of two-sided markets. The results are consistent with the perception that prices for readers are "subsidized" and magazines make most of their money from advertisers. Consistent with advertisers valuing readers more than readers value advertisements, our results imply that higher demand or lower costs on the reader side increase ad rates, but that higher demand or lower costs on the advertising side decrease cover prices.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: L 7,1; D - 68161 Mannheim|
Web page: http://www.zew.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002.
"Platform Competition in Two Sided Markets,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp409, Financial Markets Group.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2014. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," CPI Journal, Competition Policy International, vol. 10, pages -.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Tirole, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 1(4), pages 990-1029, 06.
- Rochet, Jean-Charles & Tirole, Jean, 2003. "Platform Competition in Two-Sided Markets," IDEI Working Papers 152, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Jean-Charles Rochet & Jean Triole, 2002. "Platform competition in two sided markets," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24929, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jorge A, Ferrando & Jean J, Gabszewicz & Didier Laussel & Nathalie Sonnac, 2004. "Two-Sided Network Effects and Competition : An Application to Media Industries," Working Papers 2004-09, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Marc Rysman, 2004. "Competition Between Networks: A Study of the Market for Yellow Pages," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 71(2), pages 483-512.
- Toker Doganoglu & Julian Wright, 2003.
"Multihoming and compatibility,"
Departmental Working Papers
wp0314, National University of Singapore, Department of Economics.
- GABSZEWICZ, Jean J. & LAUSSEL, Didier & SONNAC, Nathalie, "undated".
"Press advertising and the ascent of the `Pensée Unique',"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1512, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Gabszewicz, Jean J. & Laussel, Dider & Sonnac, Nathalie, 2001. "Press advertising and the ascent of the 'Pensee Unique'," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(4-6), pages 641-651, May.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1994:i:34 is not listed on IDEAS
- Berry, Steven & Levinsohn, James & Pakes, Ariel, 1995. "Automobile Prices in Market Equilibrium," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(4), pages 841-890, July.
- Evans David S., 2003. "Some Empirical Aspects of Multi-sided Platform Industries," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(3), pages 1-19, September.
- J. A. Hausman & W. E. Taylor, 1980.
"Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects,"
255, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Hausman, Jerry A & Taylor, William E, 1981. "Panel Data and Unobservable Individual Effects," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(6), pages 1377-1398, November.
- Hausman, Jerry A. & Taylor, William E., 1981. "Panel data and unobservable individual effects," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 155-155, May.
- Dertouzos, James N & Trautman, William B, 1990. "Economic Effects of Media Concentration: Estimates from a Model of the Newspaper Firm," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(1), pages 1-14, September.
- Thompson, R Stephen, 1989. "Circulation versus Advertiser Appeal in the Newspaper Industry: An Empirical Investigation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 259-271, March.
- Mark Armstrong, 2005.
"Competition in Two-Sided Markets,"
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1994:i:34:p:06 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ulrich Kaiser, 2002.
"The Effects of Website Provision on the Demand for German Women's Magazines,"
NBER Working Papers
8806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaiser, Ulrich, 2001. "The effects of website provision on the demand for German women's magazines," ZEW Discussion Papers 01-69, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Rosse, James N, 1970. "Estimating Cost Function Parameters without Using Cost Data: Illustrated Methodology," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 38(2), pages 256-275, March.
- Dewenter, Ralf, 2003. "The Economics of Media Markets," Working Paper 10/2003, Helmut Schmidt University, Hamburg.
- Caillaud, Bernard & Jullien, Bruno, 2003. " Chicken & Egg: Competition among Intermediation Service Providers," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 34(2), pages 309-328, Summer.
- Thompson, R S, 1984. "Structure and Conduct in Local Advertising Markets: The Case of Irish Provincial Newspapers," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 241-249, December.
- Jerry Hausman & Gregory Leonard & J. Douglas Zona, 1994. "Competitive Analysis with Differentiated Products," Annals of Economics and Statistics, GENES, issue 34, pages 143-157.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zbw:zewdip:2885. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ZBW - German National Library of Economics)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.